Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DCFS or private foster care adoption agency?

To start, we have been considering adopting a baby through the foster care system for a long time now (over 6 years) but timing has never been right before. Now, our youngest (of 4) will be 3 in December, we are well settled in our house we bough a little over a year ago and have plenty of room including an extra bedroom perfect for a nursery.

We would like to begin the process of certifying to adopt but are trying to decide which route to take. We will definitely be adopting from the foster care system and may consider some special needs.

In our area we have the option of adopting through social services or through several private agencies licensed in our state that provide the exact same services. Does anyone have recommendations with which one is best? We are thinking that even though the wait may be longer the private agency might be better to keep social services out of our lives as much as possible. Thoughts? Advice?

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DCFS or private foster care adoption agency?

I can't answer your original question of county vs. agency since county is our only option here. I have heard in general agencies tend to be more personal and supportive, but not always true either. I feel I have great support as much as I can in this business.

That said, I giggled when you said you wanted social services out of your life as much as possible. That is going to happen no matter what way you go. Also realize adopting a baby just doesn't happen in the foster care system. Very rare to finalize an adoption of a baby. It usually takes years. There's a few cases where there's an exception to this rule (parts of CA being one area) but in general it's a rough road to adoption. You may have many placements before you get one who stays forever. I've had four placements and none stayed forever. Our first was especially a heartbreaker since all signs pointed to us being able to adopt her for awhile. You don't mention fostering, but it is almost impossible to straight adopt a baby through the foster care system. Just doesn't happen without fostering first. Once in awhile it happens with ages 2-5, but unusual unless part of a large sibling group or significant special needs.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the corrections! I've found out that things won't work well for us through the private agency due to class schedule, location, etc. I guess what I really meant was not dealing as much one on one with the overworked social workers but instead working with a little better set-up. We will be going with our local DSS for everything, and I'm okay with that now knowing more details. We will be doing infant family foster care (some special needs) with the option of adopting if TPR happens on a child while in our care.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Cati1705
Registered Users

Class schedule is horrible...
Cati1705 is offline   Reply With Quote