Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Call now and if nothing happens call again whenever something dangerous is occurring. They won't be given time to fix things up. CPS doesn't usually give warning that they are stopping by.

Advertisement

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
martin1005
Registered Users

Re: taking custody of children in family

Here in AZ, if the kids are placed in foster care they go to a licensed foster family first then CPS looks for any family to step up. If they find family they would place with the family as a kinship placement and the kids would only be in a foster home for maybe a week. They would do a quicker homestudy and then give you time to take classes. You would not get the payment for caring for them until classes were completed.
Here, I believe, you could also petition for the child that is already in care as CPS wants to keep families together if at all possible. I know we don't have a child limit but I think in CA (which has a 6 child limit) they would make exception for kinship placement.
It wouldn't hurt to call and find out about the child already in the system to see if you could get custody to keep the family together.
About the living conditions, I would be calling everytime I knew something was going on- daily if need be. Call anonymously and report the diaper changes, or lack of, the feces on the floor, the asthma issues, the dust mite allergy. Does the 5 year old attend school? Talk to her teacher and make sure she is reporting if she is seeing any thing.
Hope you can get these children out of this sad situation.
martin1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1005 View Post
Here in AZ, if the kids are placed in foster care they go to a licensed foster family first then CPS looks for any family to step up.
Here, the parents can sign a form that states they are allowing their kids to go to someone (anyone they want really) on a temporary basis (3 business days) while CPS can put together a home study and a petition can be filed for that family to take custody or be a kinship foster home. The people they pick will have to pass on the spot CPS checks (a supervisor will check over the phone), background checks (done through the Bureau of Investigation over the phone) and the home has to be observed before the form can be done.

If there is no one to do this or no one to pass checks then a child enters foster care.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
bells
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've just taken custody of my siblings by way of DCF calling me and asking if I'd be willing to take them after they were removed from their fathers home for neglect. It took 3 mos total from phone call to sole legal and physical custody. I do believe this is because the parents lived in different counties and I live out of state. Add to that the fact that DCF backed out once I agreed to take them. I wound up doing the petition myself & representing myself while the children were in a safety plan. One piece of advice i'd give u if u are taking custody and not kinship is to discuss financial assistance for them before court is over. This was a situation where we were reporting for years the neglect that was happening. They would go out to check and be impressed by the parents. It took my brother being hit on camera for them to be removed. I know every state is different. This was in NY.

Pls excuse typos. My iPhone thinks its smarter than me

bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #15
Cati1705
Registered Users

Poor children, I guess you have a great heart but sometimes we cant fix everything, praying for those kids
Cati1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Not really much of an update... i called and heard nothing. Called again when they were flooded in and youngest was sick. My BIL went to Louisiana for work, and now their mom isnt doing anything with our family, didnt even tell MIL & FIL about grandparents day, just let her sit there alone They called the school and the school set up a special grandparent breakfast for them the next day. We will hopefully get yo have them over for the day of Lexi's birthday party. I am hoping at the very least that they know we do love them.