View Poll Results: Would you try to deliver breach?
Yes, would find a midwife/OB who could do it if mine wasn't comfortable with it 39 46.99%
Yes if my current midwife/OB gave the okay 12 14.46%
No, but I would try an inversion before a c-section 20 24.10%
No, I would just schedule the c-section 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ob/midwife practice is comfortable with breech births, so I would plan a vaginal delivery. I would definitely go to the chiro and use spinning babies techniques to encourage flipping, though.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: Would you do a c-section for a breach baby?

I voted that I'd just schedule a c-section, though I would do it at 40 weeks instead of 38 or 39. I'd probably try the chiro, but I wouldn't work myself into a tizzy trying everything under the sun only to be devastated when they didn't work. I wouldn't do a version, I don't think, because of the risk of placental and cord damage.

I wouldn't deliver breech vaginally. It's a special skill, and the chances of finding somebody well-versed in it is rare.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
On my phone and can't edit...

this is her second baby first was vaginal. She opted against inversion because her ob said it was risky and may put her into labor then it would be an emergency c section instead of a nice planned one. She loves her ob and it doesn't sound like the ob does breeches. the thing is she's at the newest, fanciest hospital in town and out of the dozen or so births I've known of there, not one was a normal vaginal birth. Every one of them involved induction and most ended in a c section. So I'm wary of that place. Anyway I'm not questioning her decision, its her baby not mine. It just made me wonder what the moms on here would do.

Last edited by Palooka; 08-07-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
My co-worker is due in 2 weeks, but she's opted for a c-section at 39 weeks because her baby is breach and "large." Their weight scan at 36 weeks indicated the baby was 8 lbs at the time and still breach. Just curious what others here would do, since most moms on here seem rather crunchy. I would probably try to deliver breach, but maybe not?

*Oh and she doesn't want to do the inversion, she said her OB didn't recommend it anyway.
#2 was breech. ECV (external version) 5x and ds wouldn't budge an inch. They keep an ultrasound on the baby the whole time to ensure the heartrate doesn't get scary. Because I couldn't even have a head-down baby without injury to him and I, plus #2 suspected to be even larger; we had a c-section. It was God's sign I had asked for while I was pregnant. I'm very thankful I tried the ECV though because at lease I thought, "Well, I did everything I could!"
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Ellasundies
Registered Users

My last dd (3rd) enjoyed hanging out breech for much of my pregnancy. The first time she did it hypnosis worked the instant I tried it. She stayed that way for 10 weeks or so. Then she flipped breech again at 30 weeks. My MW did an ECV at about 32 weeks that felt more like a massage then anything and it worked.

Ideally if she hadn't flipped I would have preferred a vaginal delivery in a hospital. But without looking I'm sure there is no one at that hospital willing to do a breech vaginal delivery. If my MW had been more experienced with breech I may have done it at home but at my MIL's house who isn't far from the hospital (I'm 30 min's away).

I did a ton of research during dd's pregnancy in case she decided to stay breech. The research certainly isn't conclusive. C-sections don't seem to be the end all be all they just seem to take a little bit of danger away from the baby but put Mom in more danger. I think this is one of those things where it should totally be up to Mom and what she wants to do and feels safest with. It really seems like a crap shoot.

If I had decided on a c-section I certainly wouldn't schedule it. I wouldn't agree to it until I was in labor and had labored for a while at least. I have no idea why so many women are sectioned at 39 weeks for breech. Seems to make more sense to me to give them as much time as they need to turn on their own.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
On my phone and can't edit...

this is her second baby first was vaginal. She opted against inversion because her ob said it was risky and may put her into labor then it would be an emergency c section instead of a nice planned one. She loves her ob and it doesn't sound like the ob does breeches. the thing is she's at the newest, fanciest hospital in town and out of the dozen or so births I've known of there, not one was a normal vaginal birth. Every one of them involved induction and most ended in a c section. So I'm wary of that place. Anyway I'm not questioning her decision, its her baby not mine. It just made me wonder what the moms on here would do.
As far as I know, external versions don't put you into labor, it can stress the baby though, which could lead to a c-section. The way I look at it, I would want a shot at a vaginal. I rather have an emergency c-section after a version at full term that a guarenteed c-section.
External versions can be risky if you don't know what you're doing - but if you do they have wonderful outcomes. The main thing is that the women stay relaxed, because it can be painful.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would go for the vaginal breech. I am pretty sure that I have a pretty generous pelvis; with both babies I started out labor engaged but I couldn't even tell the difference. I went jogging with #2 engaged, lol, and it didn't bother me at all.
If I was a first-time mom I would be a lot more cautious. I would try webster technique and other exercises first. I would definitely wait until labor started to do a c-section even if I decided to go that route. 39 weeks would be way too soon for my little babies. ( I know now!)

I have posted before that I know a woman who had a breech baby who died in a homebirth. I just realized yesterday that I saw her at birth circle and she was 38 weeks pregnant with another baby, so I was happy to see that! Her story has definitely affected how I feel about first-time mothers and homebirth with breech babies, though.

Last edited by songbird516; 08-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what I'd do. I know with my old OB, he told me he would have no problem attempting a vag delivery of a breech baby for me. (This came up because with my first set of twins, my OB was not wiling to deliver with baby B breech. I changed OB's and the "new" one, who is now my old one said he would happily do it and would even do a single breech for me since I'd had 3 babies already.) I would totally trust him. This time, I'm using a different OB group who won't. (We moved too far from the other.) The hospital has a VERY low c-sec rate, second lowest in the state behind the first by less than 1% and less than half the national average. But, at the tour I had, she said they don't deliver breech babies vaginally. (The only OB's who deliver there are the ones with my group. It's a small hospital.)

I feel like this baby has been flipping back and forth. I'm 30wks, still early enough not to worry too much. I've had 5 babies, including 2 sets of twins, vaginally. I would HATE to have a c-sec with my last when I think I'm a good candidate for a breech delivery if needed.

I know I would try everything we could, external version, spinning babies, webster and anything else. But, I don't know if I would scramble to change OB's and hospitals to avoid the c-sec. I definitely might especially since I know my old OB would do it and he is only a little over an hour away. The thing is, I still wouldn't be guaranteed it because he has 2 other partners. One would deliver breech. The other, I'm not sure about.

I know I would NOT schedule a c-sec. I already had baby B of my first set of twins turn while I was in labor BEFORE I birthed baby A. Literally, I made them do an u/s before prepping me for a c-sec (that I REALLY didn't want) when I arrived at the hospital and we watched baby B turn on u/s. So cool! So, I know it happens.

Other than that, I don't really know what I'd do. I didn't answer on the poll.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 08-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD2 was breech for a long time, and was still breech at 37 weeks. My doc (natural birth friendly, OB that backs up almost every midwife in town) and I talked about the risks/benefits of trying an external inversion. Her experience was that it didn't work or baby just flipped back a lot of the time, and if things go bad, they do it in a hurry. She was willing to try, but only on an L and D unit.

Luckily, she finally flipped on her own before delivery.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

No i would not do a vaginal breech delivery. Yikes! I would try chiropractic, spinning babies, a version, and anything else to try and encourage baby to flip. I would prefer to have baby decide when he/she is ready rather than schedule though.