Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Leighmpalmer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't want baby's first food to be cereal, suggestions please :)

I HIGHLY recommend looking into the BLW route. We introduced sweet potato, avocado and bananas in the beginning. Stuck by the mantra - everything under one is just for fun and it took off. My LO is 1 and eats the same food we do. Last night she has coconut chicken curry. At first you may feel like they *should* be eating more, but just be patient. It really is amazing once it gets going. Saves you TONS of time with no purees or from being a short order cook to appease a toddler!

Advertisement

Leighmpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Comet
Registered Users

If you have been feeding only bm, don't worry about starting with fruit - bm is already very sweet! We started with banana and avocado.
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

We started with sweet potatoes. Never did do cereals.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
earlgrey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for this thread
earlgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
AlexsMom2011
Registered Users

My Mood:
We started at 4 months, we did cereal for a week but quickly moved on to homemade green beans, then carrots, then sweet potatoes, peas, butternut squash, pears, bananas, avocados (not a fan lol), peaches an we just introduced pumpkin and zucchini.
I LOVE making my own food and my DS seems to prefer mine to the prepackaged stuff too! (except the bananas, he doesn't quite like the consistency of real bananas vs. the gerber stuff, lol). I mix a little 100% apple juice with my veggies and it makes for an easier time trying to get DS to eat them w/o adding bananas
AlexsMom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
You could go the BLW route. MUCH easier. I made food for my first 2 (didn't know about BLW) and we did/are doing BLW with our newest. She started with avocados, just get nice ripe avocados and slice them and let baby go to town. We started at 8 1/2 months but you can start at 6 if you want. I saw no need to rush food at all this time around.
This was her very first time having solids
I have a really selfish question - how bad did this make her poop? that's what I dread starting solids with our baby.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

I never followed the cereal first then veggies then fruits advice. With our first, he had sweet potatoes, then apples, then pears, and after that I dont remember. Our second had blueberries first. He LOVED it! Then we went to pears then Sweet potatoes. Then he decided the strawberries his brother had looked yummy so he gobbled those up before I could stop him. But he was fine. Mango and papaya came next then green beans. We didn't start either of them before 6 months and we weren't really consistent with our second. He nursed so much sometimes he wasn't interested in food which was fine.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We didnt start anything consistently until 6 months. We did avocados first and he LOVED them! Then, I think we did bananas, then other fruits and veggies (dont remember the order). Tried him on rice cereal once and he HATED it and never did it again (at 2 years old, he LOVES rice though lol). I never understood why rice would be considered a first food anyways

DS loved his purees, Id puree beans, (real) oatmeal, fruits/veggies and breastmilk together. Sounds gross, but he loved it and it was an easy balanced meal!

Last edited by amb2j; 08-16-2012 at 10:46 AM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Aedan'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

We never did baby cereal either--we started with bananas and avacados and it was great.
Aedan'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
covokes
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could always make your own oat cereal. (rice has no nutritional value, and oat doesn't cause consipation). Or if you are really against cereal, you could simply start with a mild pureed fruit mixed with breast milk or formula (whichever you use).
Good luck
covokes is offline   Reply With Quote