Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
MarzipanCat
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "Healthy" homemade cheese sauce?

This mac & cheese cheese sauce is made of VEGETABLES! http://epicureanvegan.com/2011/05/28...ni-and-cheese/

I'm vegan, my husband is not, but he adores it. You could cut back on the margarine too to make it lower fat. I don't ever mix any with bread crumbs.

Advertisement

MarzipanCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
The thing is the processed stuff has a very salty and different type flavor to it. You just can't really replicate what it tastes like.
mine aren't old enough and we don't get it enough for them to really tell the difference yet. I got Tinkyada elbow noodles and my almost 4 yr old called just the noodles Kraft dinner when he saw the package in the shopping cart. Had it with regular sauce, ground turkey & mozarella and he still called it Kraft dinner. I told him it wasn't really Kraft dinner.

Anyway thanks for the recipe!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(Kraft dinner is what I called mac 'n cheese growing up... I grew up in Canada)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatarian View Post
This mac & cheese cheese sauce is made of VEGETABLES! http://epicureanvegan.com/2011/05/28...ni-and-cheese/

I'm vegan, my husband is not, but he adores it. You could cut back on the margarine too to make it lower fat. I don't ever mix any with bread crumbs.
Ohhh that looks so good! I never get cashews b/c they're so expensive wonder if other nuts could be substituted?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I like to add mustard powder to my white sauces. Sometimes I'll add a smidge of "better than bouillon veg stock" to it too, if I have it on hand. Really bumps up the flavor.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
mine aren't old enough and we don't get it enough for them to really tell the difference yet. I got Tinkyada elbow noodles and my almost 4 yr old called just the noodles Kraft dinner when he saw the package in the shopping cart. Had it with regular sauce, ground turkey & mozarella and he still called it Kraft dinner. I told him it wasn't really Kraft dinner.

Anyway thanks for the recipe!
Man, you are lucky then. My son was 4 and twins were 2 when I changed from Kraft. (Which by the way, I openly admit to loving, but we still avoid it now.) He knew the difference instantly. They knew too, but didn't care. He was the outspoken one. He definitely knew. In fact, at the store today, we walked by some Kraft and he even said, "Mom, there's the mac n' cheese we used to buy." Obviously, nothing beats the taste of a processed meal!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

If you use a microwave, it makes that sauce very easy... melt butter in microwave, add the flour, and whisk in the milk- first a little then the rest. Nuke and whisk, nuke and whisk, and when it thickens, add your cheese and salt/pepper. I do it all in a large glass measuring cup and it is very easy.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

someone above mentioned it, ground mustard to the white sauce is amazing!! It changed everything! And finely diced red onion added to flour, milk, butter sauce. YUM, hungry now!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Add freshly grated nutmeg too!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #20
MarzipanCat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Ohhh that looks so good! I never get cashews b/c they're so expensive wonder if other nuts could be substituted?
Raw cashews help make it really creamy. You could try soaked, skinned almonds, but I don't think it would be much cheaper (and I don't know how it would be either). Is there anywhere you can buy nuts in bulk? I buy them at my coop (though a bag of raw cashews at Trader Joes is not too expensive, and will last forever in the freezer), but places like Whole Foods and even my local supermarket sell them in bulk bins, and 1/4 cup of nuts isn't $$.
MarzipanCat is offline   Reply With Quote