Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homemade detergent and washing diapers

Ok, so I have thought about making my own homemade detergent and using it for our clothes and our diapers. But I just have a few questions to ask of you lovely mamas.

1.) What ingredients do you use, where do you get them and where do you get your "recipe"? (I know you usually grate up a bar of soap, but I thought you had to be careful with what kind you used as to that may affect the diaper washing)

2.) How much of the soap do you know what to use for clothes and diapers?

3.) For those who have HE machines, does the amount of soap you use differ?

4.) What do you store it in?

5.) Is there a liquid or powder formula, or both?

That is all I can think of now. But if you think of anything else that I missed, PLEASE included it. I basically want to know everything about this.

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I used to make a powdered laundry detergent. I am pretty sure it was 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda and 1 grated bar of soap. The one batch I added baking soda too. For the bar soap I have tried dr. Bronners Castile soap, kirks Castile soap, and ivory (all separate times though). The borax I got at Walmart (laundry aisle) and I believe Walmart started carrying washing soda too (it would be in the laundry aisle with the borax. At our Walmart they are on the bottom shelf). I have heard a lot of recipes call for a laundry bar of soap (fels something) but I didn't know how safe it was so I never used it. Sadly after trying many different combinations of stuff I didn't feel like our clothes were really getting clean (noticed more stains and deodorant marks on clean clothes) so I gave up. A lot of people have good luck with it but we have pretty hard water & I think that's where our snag was. I purchased an air tight wide mouth glass jar to store it in. I originally used an applesauce jar but got annoyed with the small opening at the top. Hope this is helpful
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
infojunqie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade detergent and washing diapers

I ruined about 7 pair of BumGenius diapers by using Borax--it stripped the PUL apart and I lost every single diaper. Needless to say, I don't use homemade soap anymore. What money did I save having to replace my diapers? None. Exactly.

I have used Charlie's for two years now, but have found and now use a detergent that Melaleuca makes--natural detergent that is safe for diapers and costs less. So now I have one detergent for all my laundry.
infojunqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

The name of the soap that It is What it Is is looking for is felts naptha. It is a soap especially made for laundry and will do a way better job than any other grated soaps you might use in your mixture. But unfortunately it is definitely not natural. Friends who have made their own soap are most pleased with the performance of the felts naptha. But if you have to go artificial to make a detergent that works well, it would seem to me more worthwhile to use a natural detergent that has its act together and shop the sales for it. However, I cannot speak to diaper care, as I am a single gal on here for menstrual pad discussion. I currently rotate between Biokleen liquid and Nellie's powder and found good deals on both.

Last edited by debcita429; 12-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Call me lazy, but if I were really interested in making my own, I would probably start with one where I don't have to mess with grating. E.g., this is one I've seen online which also happens to avoid the Borax that one commenter found problematic for diapers:

1 cup Vinegar (white)
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup liquid castile soap

I find it easiest to pour the liquid soap into the bowl first, stir in the washing soda, then baking soda, then added the vinegar in small batches at a time (the recipe foams up at first). The mixture is a thick paste at first that will break down into a heavy powdered detergent, just keep stirring. There may be some hard lumps, try to break them down when stirring (it really helps to make sure the baking soda isn’t clumpy when first adding). I used 1/2 cup per full load with great results. Mix well and store in sealed container.

Optional: You can add essential oils: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil

Last edited by debcita429; 12-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote