Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about traveling

I only have 3, but have 4 daycare kids. Occasionally I take the kids someplace like the library, nature center or the mall play area. How do you go places with littles? Are certain things like strollers or carriers a necessity? I'm all ears.

If it helps, I have an 11 yo, 9 yo, 4 yo, 2.5 yo, 2 yo, 8 mo and 4 mo. Oh, I can only bring one of the big girls at a time b/c of seating (unless one of the Dc littles is gone).

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
With 2 kids that don't walk yet I would get a doubler stroller. And yes, it's necessary. How are you going to care the 2 littles?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
With 2 kids that don't walk yet I would get a doubler stroller. And yes, it's necessary. How are you going to care the 2 littles?
The couple times we've been out, I've worn one and left the sleeping one in her carseat, but it's a pain to pack around and she's a teeny baby. I didn't know if a single stroller would be best or a double (IME they are bulky and hard to steer, but I just had a Graco one). I have worn one on front and one on back at home, but I think that might be difficult while chasing the 2 2yos.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm going to be honest-2 two year olds plus those babies make me nervous. Maybe leashes for the toddlers? Otherwise one is going to go one way and one another. I still put my 3 year old in the stroller for outings because he's a runner. Could you swing a Valco double with a toddler seat or 2 double strollers?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-09-2012 at 08:15 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have just as many littles as you do going out and no olders. Personally, when I had 2 2 year olds and 2 newborns (who grew to infants), I had a quad stroller. At the time, I had twin newborns, twin 27 month olds and a 4 year old. (Now, I have 6 year old, twins 4 and twins 2 and I'm pregnant with number 6, due in Oct.)

Personally, I would not let the 2 year olds walk unless you have one of the older children with you and even then, I would only let one walk. My reason is very simple....safety. It is hard enough to keep track of 2 2 year olds trying to go in different directions. But, then you throw in a 4 year old, who may decide to not be the picture of perfection plus 2 infants and you have a recipe for disaster if you aren't keeping most of them contained, IME.

As I said, I have a quad stroller. That allows me to keep all the littlest under control. You could also do a triple and carrier. Or, a double plus wear 2 babies. (2 sets of twins. I've done this many times, but not very often out of the house.) Or, a double, one carrier and one 2 year old on a kid harness/leash. The problem I see with that is that when one 2 year old walks, the other doesn't understand why they can't and might revolt in the stroller.

For quite a while now, my motto has been "containment is key to safety and sanity." For our family, it is absolutely true.

Those are my suggestions from a BTDT mom of 5 littles.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Even when my twins were 3 and I had a baby I would use the double stroller and take the sling. Keeping track of so many littles makes it easy for one to dart away. If I were you, I would only take them to places like the library story hour, places that are designed for kids to be, with other adults also there. I wouldn't take them to the store or mall, or really even to the park. You can't really watch that many little kids by yourself at the park IMO. If I were the daycare parent, I wouldn't want you taking them to those places and would worry. My double stroller is a Maclaren, and it folds up like an umbrella stroller, and I really like that about it! Sometimes last summer we would pack both the double and the single so we would have both and be able to use the one that best suited the time of day/place.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My twins are 3 and I still won't go anywhere alone with out them being properly restrained. I am going to be very honest here-- it's pretty impossible to chase two-two year olds different directions with out leaving the babies where ever you were just standing. Unless you are wearing BOTH of them either way it creates a really unsafe situation, and if I was any of those kiddos parents I'd be pretty ticked off. I put my twins in a double stroller and wear the baby. I guess you could wear both the babies and put the two year olds in a double stroller. Or, put the twins on leashes. Honestly, if I was those kids parents I am not sure I'd be OK with an outing like that. It makes me really nervous.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny how different parents think b/c it's my dc parents that are encouraging me to take the kiddos out and it's me who's thinking it isn't the best idea. So far, it has worked out that the times we've gone somewhere I could take both big girls b/c one of the younger kids was gone. Each of the girls have taken charge of a 2 yo (or had one in a single stroller once), I wore a baby and carried the other baby in her carseat. DS (4) just walked with us. We went to a nature center program (contained in one room) and a small park (only people there were us).

I'm mainly just thinking about the future. Heather, what kind of quad stroller did/do you have? Thanks for your thoughts.