Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should a Child with Hand Foot & Mouth Stay Home From Daycare?

DS never got a fever and luckily his blisters never popped or oozed. The dr said he could go back after the 24hr fever rule and as long as his blisters were dry or not open. He was so miserable thought that even though I could have taken him, I didn't. He needed snuggles and daycare although wonderful, can't sit and snuggle just him all day.

Dc needed a note from dr clearing him. Dr did say it was contagious in his poop for the next month.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paislie98 View Post
DS never got a fever and luckily his blisters never popped or oozed. The dr said he could go back after the 24hr fever rule and as long as his blisters were dry or not open. He was so miserable thought that even though I could have taken him, I didn't. He needed snuggles and daycare although wonderful, can't sit and snuggle just him all day.

Dc needed a note from dr clearing him. Dr did say it was contagious in his poop for the next month.

fantastic point! If your child is fever free and allowed to return, that doesnt mean they should be at daycare. I dont keep kids here that are miserable and obviously need a lot of TLC, even if they are fever free. Kids have to be able to keep up with the pace of daycare, sleep only at nap time, eat meals when served, take our daily walk, etc. If they are crying all day and making everyone else miserable, they need to go home. I dont offer sick care and my definition of "sick" goes past just a fever.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

We were told it is still contaigous without a fever...My dc son had it and my kids had to stay out for the whole week. Several months later, my son got it, and same thing, I kept him out till everything was gone.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not sure, but my kids never had a fever with it and by the time the rash appeared and we figured it out, it had already been spread to my friend's DS. We were allon vacation, with 3 sick kids
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the opinions! Lots of different ideas. I'm guessing even among Dr's the advice is all different.

DD got what I thought was a heat rash in her diaper area on Tuesday. No big thing, she gets heat rashes all the time. Thursday afternoon I get a panicked text from DCP asking about hand foot & mouth. (And then several more before I even get home to assess the rash, but that's another story.) Yeah, she's probably got hand foot & mouth, but if she'd gone to daycare for 3 whole days with it and no one knew and if she was contagious before any rash appeared, the damage has been done to the other kids. Obviously, I don't want to make other kids sick, but by that point I was a little hard-pressed to understand the panic about it. You'd think I brought in meningitis or something.

ETA: DD never had a fever and has not developed any mouth sores at all. In everything I am reading, the rash itself is not contagious, just your saliva and nasal secretions, much like a cold. And of course anything the kid licks or sneezes on, which could be everything. lol

Both girls stayed home today and I arranged a payoff of our DCP contract, which was up next week anyhow, and arranged for alternate care next week. I was tired of the drama associated with this person and the conditions in which we were asked to leave still sting, as it's become increasingly apparent it wasn't an arbitrary business decision. (She tried to con me out of an extra $120 to pay off the contract, too. Glad I was paying attention to the math. But that's unrelated, really.)

She'd asked me to take the kiddo to the Dr for a DX, but I'm guessing she's no longer interested in that since she's got her money and no further obligation to us anymore. I'm not forking over $250 to have a Dr. point out the obvious to me. Blah. I don't do drama but seem to find myself surrounded with it lately.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 08-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
doodah
Registered Users
seller

so sorry things are still drama filled. but I personally would take them to the doctor regardless of the situation with the provider. I would imagine that your new daycare provider will have an issue accepting the kids into care if this is not resolved before your start date, plus it doesnt sound that you know 100% for sure that it is actually HFM and with any prolonged rashes, it would be best to get a doctors opinion.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

when ds had it, the school would not let me bring him back until the blisters were gone. We needed a drs note as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
so sorry things are still drama filled. but I personally would take them to the doctor regardless of the situation with the provider. I would imagine that your new daycare provider will have an issue accepting the kids into care if this is not resolved before your start date, plus it doesnt sound that you know 100% for sure that it is actually HFM and with any prolonged rashes, it would be best to get a doctors opinion.
I agree. I'd take them to the doctor's anyway just to get to the bottom of what is going on. It could be HFM but could be something totally different. It sounds like there are issues with the DCP so I wouldn't trust her HFM diagnosis by text. If she's pulling stuff that is $$ related, who knows, she could be BS'ing about the HFM to get out of a weeks worth of watching your children. Either way, she doesn't sound trustworthy & if you're children still have a rash or anything, you'll need to find out what it is before starting care with another provider. I hope they are feeling better soon!
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Our daycare will not take them if they have open sores or a fever. Otherwise they're ok to go back.