Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

play at home moms?

I definitely don't like clutter and have been working on simplifying our environment. I also have been getting really interested in some of the things I see in the play at home moms blog. But some of the ideas and concepts are against my urge to go minimalist - collecting things and having lots of stuff. Anyone else at odds with this? I'd like to have fun things available for my 1 year old, and I'm trying to find a balance.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: play at home moms?

I struggle with this too. I try to keep in mind that lots of things from around the house can be used as manipulatives, and that nature finds can be the best toys (rocks, shells, pinecones). Kids don't *really* need ten different kinds of paint, I do watercolors and a finger/tempura paint. Basically just taking her ideas and minimizing them, lol.

We made a little light box but only have a couple special things to go one it, beyond that we bring in leaves, etc and put them on there...
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is tough. But like PP said, I'm trying to let go and let them use stuff around the house as toys, whether it's stacking measuring cups, counting cotton balls, etc, instead of trying to corral toyish manipulatives in their toyroom. To me, I also feel that minimalism is about getting rid of the stuff that isn't important so there is room for the things that matter. I have a half bookcase filled with craft stuff, and I'm not likely to cut back on it. The way I look at is that I've taken dozen+ boxes of toys and unnecessary kid stuff to donate, so they need something to do. I've chosen to make that 'something' crafts and open-ended play, so I have kept a lot of crafts, scarves, dress-ups, blocks, wooden trains and cars, animals, kitchen stuff rather than light-up or limited-use toys. My plan is to turn the playroom into a room to 'do things' rather than 'play with things.' A rice table, instruments hanging from the wall for them to make music, a weaving station, an oil-pan magnet board, a chalk board, a reading hammock, a stage, bead chain/silk ribbon waterfall, climbing wall, tumble mats, hooks on the wall to create bed-sheet castles, etc.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
It is tough. But like PP said, I'm trying to let go and let them use stuff around the house as toys, whether it's stacking measuring cups, counting cotton balls, etc, instead of trying to corral toyish manipulatives in their toyroom. To me, I also feel that minimalism is about getting rid of the stuff that isn't important so there is room for the things that matter. I have a half bookcase filled with craft stuff, and I'm not likely to cut back on it. The way I look at is that I've taken dozen+ boxes of toys and unnecessary kid stuff to donate, so they need something to do. I've chosen to make that 'something' crafts and open-ended play, so I have kept a lot of crafts, scarves, dress-ups, blocks, wooden trains and cars, animals, kitchen stuff rather than light-up or limited-use toys. My plan is to turn the playroom into a room to 'do things' rather than 'play with things.' A rice table, instruments hanging from the wall for them to make music, a weaving station, an oil-pan magnet board, a chalk board, a reading hammock, a stage, bead chain/silk ribbon waterfall, climbing wall, tumble mats, hooks on the wall to create bed-sheet castles, etc.
Can I come play!??

Also, tell me more about this waterfall...

Last edited by pgkcb13; 08-10-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I struggle with that too - I am trying to keep in mind that by decluttering stuff that isnt being used it frees up space for things that are important to me - which is making sure the kids get their crafts/writing/reading time.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

The bead waterfall is inspired by an exhibit at a kids' museum I loved when I was a kid. Basically, imagine a bead curtain that is typically used in a doorway. Now, imagine about 30 of those, side by side in rows, so that you're walking through about 4 feet of beads. Mix in some silk streamers or ribbons, and lower it to the ground a little for the kids, and as they run under it, it's like a 'waterfall' of textures on their face and hands. I haven't exactly figured how to do it, but it's all up here (*tapping head*).
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The bead waterfall is inspired by an exhibit at a kids' museum I loved when I was a kid. Basically, imagine a bead curtain that is typically used in a doorway. Now, imagine about 30 of those, side by side in rows, so that you're walking through about 4 feet of beads. Mix in some silk streamers or ribbons, and lower it to the ground a little for the kids, and as they run under it, it's like a 'waterfall' of textures on their face and hands. I haven't exactly figured how to do it, but it's all up here (*tapping head*).
Oh I will need to see pics of that mama!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
Oh I will need to see pics of that mama!
Seriously! Definitely post pics when you get it figured out!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
you should do this a.s.a.p and then post pics!
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
you should do this a.s.a.p and then post pics!
Don't tempt me! I don't need another project when I'm due in 3 weeks lol.