Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Brewer Diet Questions

I have seen talk on here (though not recently) about the Brewer Diet and I am very interested in it.

So my big question is about the high protein and pre-eclampsia. A friend of mine followed this diet. She had borderline high blood pressure from day one. At 38 weeks she changed doctors and her new doc immediately tested her urine and found high protein levels. She argued with them that the brewer diet with the high protein gave her urine the high protein level and not pre-eclampsia. They eventually scared her into an induction and C-sec. She still claims that the doctor was just uneducated and that she didnt have pre-e. I thought the diet was supposed to prevent it, not give false signs of it?

The diet itself makes a lot of sense, but I just dont get the eating high protein part makes your protein level go down?

I have read the website (not the book yet), but can someone explain it in English? Thanks!

Advertisement

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
gnail_19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brewer Diet Questions

The protein that you eat is supposed to increase the amount if protein in your blood, not urine. When the protein is in your blood it helps keep the liquid portion of blood in the blood vessels. If your protein in the blood is too low, the liquid moves out of the vessels and into the surrounding tissues causing swelling and also into urine. This loss of fluid in the vessels drops BP making the body trigger a reflex to raise it excessively high. By increasing the protein in the diet, you are trying to increase the blood proteins to keep the liquid in blood and out of the tissues.

I had preeclampsia with my first that led to an induction. Thankfully I didn't need a c-section. With my second, I eat 120-150g of protein per day to prevent the preeclampsia. On the days that I didn't quite hit my goal of protein, the swelling would increase for me.
gnail_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brewer Diet Questions

I don't have experience with this diet, but I think that the protein levels that are required to follow it "correctly" are really high. I really have a hard time beleiving that anyone needs that much protein every day. I have heard some women say that they feel like their babies were really big after eating this diet. This makes sense, because too much protein will just be turned to sugar by the mother's body.

Then again, some women really feel that it has helped. I absolutely do think that diet can help a woman to avoid many pregnancy complications, but I also think that it's better to start before pregnancy, at least 3 months. Most healthy tradtional societies had special diets that they fed to couples who were expected to have children (and pregnant and nursing mothers); these diets were VERY high in fat and fat-soluble vitamins (think liver and fish eggs, for example).

I myself followed loosely the WAPF diet for pregnant and nursing mothers, which includes high-quality fats and proteins, but is more balanced. No vegetable oils!! Think about 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs, or so. I do agree that pregnant women should get more high-quality salt, though.

Last edited by songbird516; 08-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote