Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Wohm, nursing and pumping...

I am 2 weeks pp and will be returning to work in 2-4 weeks. I am currently bf'ing full time and was wondering about how to build up a supply.

Do I need to have some huge supply built up or will I only need enough for maybe 2-3 days built up? Since I will be pumping daily I would be able to replace what is used correct?

And someone said that babies drink more from a bottle than a breast so does that mean I will need an oversupply from what baby actually eats?

Will baby be eating 8 ounces like a formula fed baby or do they eat more than that from a bottle? Will my boobs make that much milk? Lol.

What's the best bottle? My favorite from ff my twins were Avent but that was because it was easier to mix formula in them since they were wide mouthed and oversized. Which is one of the best for keeping the slow flow? Plastic vs glass vs metal does not matter to me.

Oh and when pumping, what happens if you only get like an ounce after pumping right after a feeding (when trying to build a supply) do you store just one ounce or do you mix it with previously frozen milk or what?

Thanks for any help...I may be back with more questions as I think I forgot some..lol.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Congrats on the newest LO! It sounds like bf is going well (I hope). I WOH ft and went back when DD was 10 wks, we continued to pump until 1 yr and nurse for several more mos after that. So it is possible.
Here is wgat I did: before i went back DD never ever took bith boobs at a feeding. So I would feed her first thing in the AM and then give ger to DH and pump the other side. Doing this for a couple weeks gave me enough to get through that first day. After that you are cycling through whatever you pumped the day before, so extra is great but bit totally required. For 3-4 mos i pumped more than DD needed per day so i had a nice stockpile. Fridays milk got frozen and on monday she gad defrosted the oldest in the freezer "rotating the stock" so to speak.
How much kind of depends on your LO and who is feeding them I think. DD took 5 2.5 oz bottles in an 11 hr day, for a while. Apparently bf babies do not really need MORE milk over the first 6 mos or so like ff babies... This is quite common, DD slowly started eating more but less frequently. But i would say 10 wks to 6-8 mos her overall intake didnt increase more than a couple oz daily. There is, somewhere, a chart ir something with an AVERAGE bm intake by age of babe... LLL, WAOB, or milk memos I think, sorry I just cant remembr! But it would be a good starting point.
We did have to try every bottle under the sun... Had been gifted a bunch of avents, to go with my pump but dd refused them, dr browns, dropins, mams, and a couple others. We finally wound up with $1.50 gerber bottles . so who knows. I would recommend not buying/opening/washing a bunch until you know LO will take them!
Although i relied heavily on The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding I found that the wohm part was seriously lacking... "the milk memos" was more helpful for the day to day routine things.
Hands free bra, spare bottles at work, and a somewhat loose attitude toward sterilization were my keys to making it work. Plus chocolate while pumping

To add: we used newborn nipples the entire time to keep slow flow. You can add cold milk to cold milk, and cold milk to frozen milk (dies that make sense?). I used simple lines freezer trays which make 1 oz "ice cubes" so there was less waste. Milk memos goes into the logistics and "what to do"

Last edited by DottieHarley; 08-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.
DottieHarley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a WOHM and have been for several months now. I pump 3x per day, for about 10 ounces usually. A hands free pump bra saved my sanity. I also keep the heavy electric part of my pump at work and just transport bottles/milk back and forth. I have at most 2 extra days of milk stored. I pump as much as I can but don't stress about it since that lowers production.

My son takes about 15-20 ounces while I'm away from him, depending on how long the day is. He eats 5 ounces at a time, and is 7 months old. We love love Tommee Tippee bottles with a newborn flow nipple. He will never move up a nipple size because I don't want the flow from the bottle to be more than mine.

I freeze in 5 ounce bags since that's what he's eating. If I pump an amount other than 5, I store in the fridge to mix with the next pumped milk. If I don't have 5 ounces yet at the end of the day, I freeze what I have. Loose rule of thumb: fresh milk can stay at room temp for 6 hours, fridge for 6 days, or freezer for 6 months. Some people will disagree, but that's the "rule of 6" that I live by.

I also have a manual pump at home, like $30, for if he sleeps extra long on the weekend and I can pump a bit. It's usually only an ounce, but every little bit helps. My son nurses both sides to empty so I can never pump after he nurses. I have very low production so I just have nothing left.

Youll get into a routine soon and figure out what works best for you. Good luck and congrats on the new babe!

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Thank you both so much! These both hae helped me out! I didn't know what to expect at all and was thinking I needed some huge month supply of milk stored up or something. Lol. Thanks for calming my nerves and recommending the books! I must go out and buy them!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I agree w pp, keep the pump at work. Mine hade a little lunch box cooler that had an insert that went into the freezer to keep things cold. I used breastmilk storage bags instead of bottles. Practice pouring it into the bags if you go this way and avoid spilling it all over yourself (don't learn the hard way like I did!). Have extra nursing pads and a sweater you can put on over yr shirt if you leak.

I pumped at work and in my car while driving- I had a long commute.

Prior to going back to work and once you've got bf'ing down introduce bottle feeding. I know some mamas will say this causes issues but I never problems. I had DH do this not me.

Also we did use formula when I was at work. My supply adjusted over time so that I fed her when I was at home and didn't pump at work. This worked until LO was 9 mos old. She went through a growth spurt and I couldnt keep up. At point, she self weaned from the boob. II think if had continued to pump at work, I would have been able to keep up.

I had a relaxed attitude that any boob she got was better than all formula. You can bf and work but like all things in parenting your expectations may have to adjust to what actually is.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Callmedra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wohm, nursing and pumping...

My LO took at most 5oz bottles and that was when we was a year. When we first went to daycare he would take 3 oz. They should adjust to that and if they need more they'll eat more at night.

I couple of tips i learned is 1. you dont have to wash pump parts each time you pump. YOu can keep them in the fridge or cooler between pumpings. 2. keep an extra set of pump parts at work. IN 9 months i only forgot them one time, but i was so glad to have the extra stuff. I also kept a stack of bags in case i didnt bring enough bottles or lids (that happened a couple of times)

I had two pumps so i kept one at work, this obviously wont work for everyone, but if you're only pumping occaisionally at home a hand pump would work.

Callmedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wohm, nursing and pumping...

it's up to you if you want to have milk stored in the freezer. i, personally, would store as much as you can while on maternity leave. don't make yourself crazy pumping all the time, but just try to get a decent stash in there. i see a lot of people say that they are able to pump enough in a day to replace what baby eats, but honestly, i NEVER have and i pumped until ds was 10months old while i was at work, and i'm pumping again for dd who's 10 weeks ( i went back to work when she was 6 weeks). i'm glad i had a freezer stash from maternity leave because it's the only thing that has kept her on bm only up until now. it ran out last week, i never have extra bm to freeze from what i pump during the week. i'm able to pump some on the weekends to help get me through, and i'm getting more than i got with ds, but i dunno, i think i may have to send a couple of ounces of formula friday. we'll see. like a pp said, any breastmilk is better than none. and i always bf in the morning before work, at night after, and then all weekend and my supply never suffered for the lack of nursing during the week (i did continue to pump during the day though. when i stopped that, i had to start giving bottles during the day on weekends, but kept up with morning and night nursing). anyways, just know that it's possible you may not be able to pump enough to replace the feedings. try your best, but try not to stress. you can still give your baby a lot of bm even if you have to give some formula.

my babies have never been picky about bottles, we just used the gerber ones. but i did always use the newborn nipple for the slowest flow. they're used to a slower flow from the breast, so that seemed to be the best option.

and, i know you're not supposed to do this, but when i pump just an ounce, i dump it into whatever other bottle might be in the fridge, when i get 5 oz (or whatever the capacity of the bottle/storage bags are) i pour them into a plastic storage bag and freeze it. you could chill it for awhile and then combine it too if you wanted. good luck!

Last edited by Liadan23; 08-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote