Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't have a label. My crunchy/AP friends think I'm mostly mainstream, and my mainstream friends think I'm crunchy/AP . I pick and choose what works for us, from all the parenting styles and labels.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Parenting labels. Anyone ever break free?

I have never labeled myself (ok other than what is in my siggy ) because there is no label that encompasses everything that I am. Labels confine you and often people end up making choices that aren't best for their family because they don't want to step outside of the box they made for themselves. Life is too big for that and I don't want to miss out on anything because I'm afraid someone will judge me for it. And people will judge you for every little choice you make and the best thing you can do is ignore it. Taking a line from Morgan Freeman when he was talking about racism: The way to end the mommy wars is to stop talking about it.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm just the weird one. Even my husband says I'm practically a hippie (no where near it). I am really somewhere in the middle, just do what feels right. I don't have friends that aren't family so no real judging.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I don't think I have ever really had a label. I am a good bit crunchier than anyone I know (generally, people look at me like I have 3 eyes when I say we use cloth diapers), but compared to people here on DS I am way more mainstream (my boys are vaxed AND circed, so apparently some people here would believe I have completely ruined their lives.) I try to take the things I have learned and try to put into practice what I think is right.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad you posted this b/c I've really been feeling the same way! I'm considered very crunchy around here, but no where near that in comparison others. I love to be informed, however, I don't like the pressure to conform. That's what I feel is happening, whether it be from others or I'm putting that pressure on myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Nope. Can't get away from those labels. The little people who live in my house STILL call me "Mommy."

I don't know that I've ever given myself a label. My children have taught me there is a season for everything and I just have to figure out which season I'm in and act accordingly. I can't force the season by {insert any parenting activity} anymore than I can bring on winter by wearing snowshoes in August.
Hahaha, love it!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Nope. Can't get away from those labels. The little people who live in my house STILL call me "Mommy."

I don't know that I've ever given myself a label. My children have taught me there is a season for everything and I just have to figure out which season I'm in and act accordingly. I can't force the season by {insert any parenting activity} anymore than I can bring on winter by wearing snowshoes in August.
I love the mommy label Even on the most.frustrating.days like today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Terra, I can't believe people would abandon you and all your good qualities just because you decided to give your kids a Cheeto or because you used a stroller at Disney World. You're a great, caring person and a loving mother! <3
Awwww,Thanks. I don't feel like it a lot, but I'm working on changing it. Yeah it's sad that people do that. But that would be the extreme few, and like a PP said it comes along with the mentality that if you don't do it X way then you are unattached and not as caring. It's sad that people actually think this
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love this thread! There's always more than one "right" way to do things.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
I'm so glad you posted this b/c I've really been feeling the same way! I'm considered very crunchy around here, but no where near that in comparison others. I love to be informed, however, I don't like the pressure to conform. That's what I feel is happening, whether it be from others or I'm putting that pressure on myself.

Hahaha, love it!
Glad it's helping Yeah that is true. I like to be informed, make choices, even change my mind, but there's not need for brow beating about it you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl View Post
Love this thread! There's always more than one "right" way to do things.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am definitely in the "do what's right for your family" camp. I've never walked in your shoes, so who am I to determine your path?
I cloth diaper, breastfeed, extended rear-face, babywear, watch my kids' diets, but only in moderation, my kids are circ'd, and we definitely vax on schedule. We encourage respectful dissent, are atheists, spank as a last resort, but will do so if we feel it's warranted, and I cook 5 times a week. The other 2 are take-in days. I love epidurals so very much, and the hospital is my friend for l&d, but the thought of having a c-section terrifies me. I definitely leave my babies for getaways and mom & dad breaks.
I am a complete hodge-podge of labels, and I am very comfortable with that.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am always so happy for me I waited till my 30's to have a kid!! I read forums but no books while pregnant but Ina's birth book. I went in with no expectations but to watch DS, follow my gut, and not let others negatively influence me. My age had already taught me (not that others can't learn it younger), that other people's opinions can often be crap, their judgements are always crap. I long ago learned labels are pointless, so I did my thing, made it clear it's my thing, others need to do theirs, no judgement from me. And so far no one has bugged me, I opened a few eyes to other options in parenting, and have really enjoyed being a Mum. Which I agree is a great label

Forums did teach me about ERF, EC and BLW, so those were outside learned, but we EC'd our own way. I stuck to BLW cause it was easy and DS loved it, but he did get a few spoonfed foods. We co-slept cause of ease and DH that first night could bare to put him in the crib. We CD'd cause I loved them, used natural products due to my sensitivites, we don't have loud toys cause I hate them, we have tons of characters cause we all love them, and a bunch of other stuff, cause it was worked for us.

Last edited by Fairycat; 08-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote