Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Oriel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nanny or Babysitter?

I've never hired anyone for anything more than a few hours of babysitting here and there so if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. I'm going to start nursing school at night and need to hire someone for about 20-25 hours per week. It would be 5 days a week, but the ending time would vary each day depending on if the kids' dad is picking them up or what my class schedule is for the day. So am I looking for a nanny or a babysitter? What is the difference between the two? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nanny or Babysitter?

I don't know for sure but I think or at least what I think of when I think of a nanny is someone who is there all day everyday - fulltime. I have a similar set-up time wise - 18 hours per week - but it is a set time/days and I hired a sitter through care.com You can view their profiles and see a picture and most have background checks or are willing to have one done and if they've been active before they have a reference to check as well. I've also had luck in the past hiring sitters by posting on the University job board - not sure if you live near one - but there are lots in Ohio so maybe you are near one. Some of the sitters on care.com call themselves nannies but again those are the ones looking for full-time. On care.com there is also a feature to search by hours available so you could see if someone is flexible/has late evening hours as an option. If you try them also attend to the persons "percent return or time to return" emails (you have to "join" the site for $30/month - I just did 1 month - to see/send emails to potential sitters) as I found I needed to contact A LOT of people to get a few responses. I tried to be very specific though so if someone was not interested then I did not need to bother interviewing them. My sitter has been with us for 9 months and next week is her last week she is starting a teaching internship - she has been SOOOOO awesome I'm glad I found her!
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me 5 days a week is a part-time nanny at 20-25 hours a week - you could call them a babysitter too though. You could look for either, really, though - you'd need someone you trust who is flexible with hours like that. I did this for a few families some years back when I was a nanny. To me a babysitter is more someone who is say a teenager (or someone older) who babysits on weekends or evenings or from time to time not every day. I was also full-time nanny years ago and still got called "the babysitter" by a couple of families though so it just depends.

Last edited by mel j; 08-10-2012 at 02:32 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

It also depends on the type of service you are looking for....a quality individual with training and experience is going to cost more, thus the nanny label, especially if you expect them to cook dinner, light housekeeping, taking the kids out for activities, homework help, long term person.

A babysitter is generally someone who is just keeping the kids alive till you get home.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I don't see why the label makes any difference. If you ask 10 people the difference between a nanny and a babysitter, you'll get 10 different answers.

Are you asking because you need to know what word to use when you advertise, or something? In that case I would probably use neither word, just say "child care provider" or something.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would say nanny if you're looking for someone to come to your home and care for your kids on a regular basis. Babysitter to me seems more like occasional drop-in as needed care. I would prefer a nanny who's been Trustlined (criminal background check) and CPR certified and such.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might also consider daycare since you are going to be in nursing school. YOu might want to add a few more hours for studying, and have someplace to drop them off.

A nanny and a Babysitter both come to your home. If you think you can be home and study while the kids are there, a babysitter or nanny would be very convenient. But, if you need an empty house to study, you might need daycare.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
There is no difference Just clearly state what you are looking for in terms of hours and duties and hire the applicant you like the most.