Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Share your "schedule" with me..

You just have to find a way to get out of the house, every day. Research free activities for kids in your area. I have found local FB groups/mom groups to be the best resources. We have one that lists ALL the kids activities each day and a good number of them are free....all the parks, museums, libraries, classes, etc, etc. We take daily walks...find all the walking trails and get this kid worn out every day with active time. A small living space and a spirited personality is going to be too much for the whole family, really it will just get worse and 2 or 3 activities a week will probably not be enough. If you are needing some help with routine and boundaries, Id like to recommend the books The Baby Whisperer (there are 3 I think) to help you figure out how to transition to parenting a toddler/preschooler versus a baby and how to parent to your child personality.

Keep working at this and dont give up! I highly recommend turning the TV off and getting out of the house. Getting your child involved with other kids because it sounds like he actually really enjoys the activity, just needs time and instruction on boundaries and how to handle himself in public.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah
You just have to find a way to get out of the house, every day. Research free activities for kids in your area. I have found local FB groups/mom groups to be the best resources. We have one that lists ALL the kids activities each day and a good number of them are free....all the parks, museums, libraries, classes, etc, etc. We take daily walks...find all the walking trails and get this kid worn out every day with active time. A small living space and a spirited personality is going to be too much for the whole family, really it will just get worse and 2 or 3 activities a week will probably not be enough. If you are needing some help with routine and boundaries, Id like to recommend the books The Baby Whisperer (there are 3 I think) to help you figure out how to transition to parenting a toddler/preschooler versus a baby and how to parent to your child personality.

Keep working at this and dont give up! I highly recommend turning the TV off and getting out of the house. Getting your child involved with other kids because it sounds like he actually really enjoys the activity, just needs time and instruction on boundaries and how to handle himself in public.
He does love other kids. He loves older kids. We were at the mall and he'll run up to random 3/4 year olds and start jabbering and laughing, then he'll start running. Its really cute.
Monday and Wednesday mornings he goes to my cousins house. She has a 9 and 7 yr old, she homeschools and has been loosely schooling Asher. They sing songs, play ring around the rosie, the kids read to him. He colors. This month he's been learning about magnets.
So those days he is wore out.
I'm gonna start figuring this out.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #23
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It takes time. It took me awhile to figure it with my first.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom

I don't stress it I did the same with my oldest who is almost 12 and she is high honors in middle school, band student, plays soccer, has been in school since she was 2 weeks from 3 (she PL'ed to go to school so I had to make it happen). She was an only child till 10, never lived around kids has tons of friends.

A child is who they are because of how we raise them. It's hard work being a mom, and I hate quiet so we have music or tv on in the back ground. When my daughters get tired they sit on the couch and snuggle with me an watch tv.

Some times I think to much activities can be an even more over load than tv. Your brain needs time to process the info and zoning out is part of that process. If we like to unwind watching some tv, or get creative juice from it why do we think our children are not the same?

Example my youngest refused to go to bed so we started the movie in bed (don't judge) it is Elmo and a VHS, after about 1 week she now is going to bed without it again. I watch her cues on what she wants and go from there.

Don't stress about not being a good mom. I believe that since you question it then your doing right. Our jobs is to help them get along in this world, and the world is no longer how we grew up. As moms we have to adjust and overcome it, this means questioning everything we do. Hugs it gets better.

ETA Pintrest rocks for crafts and things to do for kids! Mine screen name is Ennedelia Duncan
These are good points. I think it's easy to stress when they are babies and we are new parents. Once they are older your perspective changes dramatically.

I am looking at the ages of these little ones and thinking, schedule????
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043

These are good points. I think it's easy to stress when they are babies and we are new parents. Once they are older your perspective changes dramatically.

I am looking at the ages of these little ones and thinking, schedule????
I guess not schedule but routine. Obviously the baby sleeps and eats and poops and plays in between. So a schedule/routine is not for him. He'll go with the flow. The 19 month old pretty much does what he pleases. He wakes up, we'll eat breakfast, the TV is on and he'll play and watch TV all day. Eventually a nap will happen. Then lunch. And again he'll play/watch TV till 7 when dad comes home when its dinner, bath and bed. There is no structure. He's bored to death by 3ish. I just have no idea what to do with him.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would try a nap right after lunch. That is about 3 hours after waking. As an example my DD today got up close to 8 she just went down for a nap. It's 10 am. She has always taken a nap about 2 hours after waking up. She will not take another map today. She cut out the afternoon nap where as most cut out the morning nap.

After lunch I would let him take a nap. Now if he is playing in his crib then thats ok too and he will be doing quiet time. Let him stay there or 90min minimum as long as he is not screaming bloody murder. I let k cry sometimes as long as she is not screaming she is ok (and she is the type to make her self sick during a fit). The key is consistency on your part. Same time every time. We started using shows as timers. So at 7:30pm Dr McStuffins is on Disney JR. So we will say after doc it is bed time ok. We also have her say ok so we know she understands us. We eat dinner every night at 5ish unless it's soccer then it's 6.

A routine only works if you enforce it and if you are willing to not vary from it for the first week. After that it will become second nature to you both and this creating a happier house. My DH went away with my older for a week on a mission trip. YDD and I stayed home, this gave me time to get both her and the puppy on a much needed schedule and they have been on it ever since.

If DH is not on board with having a schedule at first tell him tough. I need this for my sanity. I had to do that with DD1 and DH. It's ok to say I need it's to make our life all work as one. Look at it like a well oiled machine. You need to work out the kinks.

ETA a baby who is not getting enough sleep will get into trouble and throw fits all day long. A child with no structure does the same. (not saying you not doing structure or sleep). In order to counter both of these routine I've key an consistency is the building block.

Last edited by Mac & Cheeses mom; 08-11-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Mac & Cheeses mom is offline   Reply With Quote