Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't think it's legal in Canada, but I could be wrong. If my child was acting so badly that they needed a paddling I'd rather they be suspended from school.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Corporal punishment in school

I am in Knoxville and there has been no corporal punishment here since the mid 80s (started phasing out in the 70s). Crazy that it is still allowed.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Wow. They didn't even have that when I went to school. I would not be ok with that and my kids are going to a school that is big on discipline. I am fine with having clear consequences and I will not be a helicopter parent but I don't think physical punishment is ok especially from another adult that isn't related. I don't think that is a good message to send that other adults can hurt or touch them like that.
Yup, that would be my concern as well, and probably one of the main reasons that most places have phased it out. I trust my family & closest friends with scolding my kids when they need it, or even handing out non-physical punishments, but as far as physically handling my child in some way, I am not comfortable with anyone but me & DH.
In any case, if my child did something extreme enough to warrant corporal punishment at school, it is likely an indication that they need some long-term correction at home (after a serious meeting with the teacher regarding the behavior), and thus, a paddling at school would probably be ineffective anyhow.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
If my child was acting so badly that they needed a paddling I'd rather they be suspended from school.
THIS. if he's being that bad, no need to waste your time punishing him. PLEASE just send him home to me. i guarantee he will have preferred the paddling

but no seriously, i would not be cool with that. i didn't know they still did that either. we never did in any of the schools i went to. i don't even have any idea what illinois' policy is on this. off to google....
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
Erinne
Registered Users

I remember a little boy being paddled when I was in first or second grade, so '91-'93, in Missouri. We were supposed to be lining up for something and he was hiding under a table, so the teacher pulled him out and bent him over her lap right in the middle of the classroom with all the kids watching. I was always very good in school, but it was still terrifying. I just think that kind of environment isn't conducive to learning, if the kids are scared
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it is still legal and common in our schools here in S Ok.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is weird, I didn't even know some school still did that. Also I thought corporal punishment was anything physical. I had one parent threaten to sue me for subjecting her kid to corporal punishment because at my dance school 3 warnings and then 5 push ups/sit ups.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My private preschool/kindergarten school that I went to as a kid did it. May have had to do with it being a religious school? :shrug: I never got paddled but knew a kid that did. He came into the bathroom while I was in there and got caught by the teacher.

Edited to add: It was an urban school in TX during the late '80s.

Last edited by Foolalex; 08-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Foolalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
it is still legal and common in our schools here in S Ok.
uh yeah i graduated in southern Oklahoma in 2005 and my brother in 2007 and my two cousins are a junior and freshman and they still give swats at the school we all went/go to. i would never consent to having someone else paddle my child(not even my parents) but we plan to home school so its not an issue for us.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD1 went to a school that did it. We had to sign a consent form too. We said we would do it if the punishment was warranted. It never was needed. They were a Christian school held by a Baptist Church. They were all real nice, and I never had a problem with them.