Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Corporal punishment in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne View Post
I remember a little boy being paddled when I was in first or second grade, so '91-'93, in Missouri. We were supposed to be lining up for something and he was hiding under a table, so the teacher pulled him out and bent him over her lap right in the middle of the classroom with all the kids watching. I was always very good in school, but it was still terrifying. I just think that kind of environment isn't conducive to learning, if the kids are scared
The way our school handled it was not like this- no teacher was allowed to paddle a child. It was like any other discipline issue- kids were sent to the principal and the principal (or for girls the female coach) administered paddling. And it was not done for minor offenses. Offenses were defined and paddling was one down from suspension. It was also done behind closed doors (with a witness). Every one knew they were being paddled but it was not witnessed.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The school my kids went to (affiliated with my former church) in Missouri used corporal punishment. It was administered formally by the principal and always witnessed by someone else. There was a paper trail and reserved for serious offenses. In the course of 4 years, only one of my children ever had to go see the principal. It was a big deal to her and she we never had any issues with her after that.

They also used corporal punishment on the daycare kids, as young as 1. I don't know if I really agree with that but it was never an issue as YDS never so much as had a time-out. There were specific instances where it could be used and it was always as a last resort.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We give push ups as an option to kids, but they can usually choose 20 pushups OR a detention. There is always a non-physical option for the child to select. And it is never paddling.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #34
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
They still do it in all of our local schools and you can bet your bottom dollar I would sign the form saying the school is allowed to paddle my children . We homeschool so it is a non issue,but if my child was acting so terribly that the school felt the need to paddle them than so be it. It takes a LOT of disobedience with multiple warnings , write -ups and in school suspension for them to get to the point that they are going to paddle a child. If my child goes through all that and still does not know how to behave than I have failed as a parent.
hard to say. I came from a non spanking family and was paddled in 1st grade at teacher discretion for not finishing the backside of a paper (I didn't realize it had one) and going out to recess and saying I was done. My parents never signed consent and my parents were never notified. I didnt tell mom about it until 3-4th grade ( I was too scared to say anything). Paddling was a big deal to me because it had never happened before. Mom was furious but we had already moved out of the district and it was at least 2 years before I told her. of course this was in the early 80's so who knows how paddling policies are stated now.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
Yep, totally legal. Our county and city school systems still do it, too. Here you have to sign consent or non-consent, also. I had one in '99, so not too long ago, and my sister just graduated in 2010 and kids were still paddled then. I will not allow it, though.
I just realized that by not elaborating I probably look like a delinquent.
I received a detention for tardies over a span of time(I was 14 or 15 and didn't drive myself) And the next day I got a detention for forgetting my science book. I couldn't do them at the same time, and detentions were only Tuesday and Thursday, but I had band on Thursdays. So I had to do a detention and a paddling. The asst principal did it with the secretary to witness because I'm female. So, not exactly "acting so terribly," there was not "a LOT of disobedience," and my parents had not failed as parents, i was just a forgetful teen. I'm not scarred for it, but I wasn't some atrocious kid. I was on the honor roll and in Beta club. lol
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #36
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am 21 and my highschool still did corporal punishment with parental consent. It is 100% useless. They gave us the CHOICE of 2-5 "licks" (which did not even hurt...honestly) OR 2 hour detention early saturday morning. What do you think everyone picked? As a teenager, to be completely honest, it was viewed as a "get out of jail free" card.

The way our school handled it :
- Only the principal or vice principals could paddle.
- There had to be someone of the same sex as the student in the room to witness. (an employee)
- No more than 3 "licks" per day (and no more than 5 total for an offense. You could choose licks and get 3 one day and then 2 the next if your offense was the "worst" offense. Most offenses were 2.)
- Parents had to sign a paper at the beginning of the year if they approved of their children being able to choose to be paddled over detention
- Parents were notified before the paddling took place
- Paddling was done only with the wooden paddle
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!

Last edited by stringbean02; 08-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean02 View Post
I am 21 and my highschool still did corporal punishment with parental consent. It is 100% useless. They gave us the CHOICE of 2-3 "licks" (which did not even hurt) OR 2 hour detention early saturday morning. What do you think everyone picked?
I'm a wimp and I would've taken the 2-3 licks. As much of a weeny as I was/am, I was waaaay lazier.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
They do it here as well.

My sons school called me one day wanting to know if they could spank Noah because he drew a picture of boobs! I was like NO WAY. He was 7. I had a long talk about what was appropriate to draw. I saw the picture and it seriously looked like 2 mountains!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I just realized that by not elaborating I probably look like a delinquent.
I received a detention for tardies over a span of time(I was 14 or 15 and didn't drive myself) And the next day I got a detention for forgetting my science book. I couldn't do them at the same time, and detentions were only Tuesday and Thursday, but I had band on Thursdays. So I had to do a detention and a paddling. The asst principal did it with the secretary to witness because I'm female. So, not exactly "acting so terribly," there was not "a LOT of disobedience," and my parents had not failed as parents, i was just a forgetful teen. I'm not scarred for it, but I wasn't some atrocious kid. I was on the honor roll and in Beta club. lol
I think in the posts (like mine) that refer to a child acting "naughty enough" to deserve a paddling, the difference is in what behavior we feel is deserving of "paddling". (Not necessarily whether the child was "bad", you know?) For me, neither unfinished homework nor forgetting a book is anywhere near serious enough to employ corporal punishment, regardless of whether or not you could make it to detention.
I do not think corporal punishment should be part of a school's disciplinary policy to begin with, but if they insist on it, it should absolutely be reserved for the most serious stuff, like beating up another child or bringing a gun to school, or something, you know?
Regardless, it is pretty clear from some of these posts that it isn't an effective punishment anyhow, and certainly NOT for special needs students.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm a wimp and I would've taken the 2-3 licks. As much of a weeny as I was/am, I was waaaay lazier.
I always picked licks too I got in trouble a lot for getting caught checking my phone, and talking. What can I say? I'm just a chatty Kathy
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote