Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #41
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Corporal punishment in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
They still do it in all of our local schools and you can bet your bottom dollar I would sign the form saying the school is allowed to paddle my children . We homeschool so it is a non issue,but if my child was acting so terribly that the school felt the need to paddle them than so be it. It takes a LOT of disobedience with multiple warnings , write -ups and in school suspension for them to get to the point that they are going to paddle a child. If my child goes through all that and still does not know how to behave than I have failed as a parent.
This is me to a T.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #42
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i went to some of 4th and 5th grade in alabama and got paddled a few times. my stepfather was very abusive and getting paddled at school and them not calling my parents was way preferable to me.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #43
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wouldn't want my kids to get spanked by teachers or principle. I do allow my mother to spank my kids. For them a light swat on the bottom by grandma was devastating and quaranteed to improve behaviour. It never worked the same for me. A spanking from me was a quarantee of more defiant behaviour so I had to find another solution.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #44
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our public school district here (I'm in west central Texas) doesn't do it, but there is a charter school in town (that claims to be state funded, but operates in a church facility) that uses spanking in their discipline ladder. According to their handbook, parents are notified and you can "opt out", but if you choose not to allow them to spank your child, the child gets 2 days of in school suspension instead and you have to pay $25 a day for that. So basically if your child gets in trouble and you don't want them to spank your kid, you have to pay them $50.

That right there was why I said "hell no" to that charter school. I don't think that my DD would be in that situation, and I have on occasion swatted my kids' butts at home, but I don't want my child in a school where they feel it's okay to spank someone else's child. As far as I'm concerned, spanking is a parental decision and NO ONE else will spank my kid. If my kids were to do something that warranted that kind of punishment at school, I'll either spank them myself or come up with something much more unpleasant as a consequence at home. (Lost privileges or grounding tended to be much more unpleasant when I was a kid.)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #45
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckergirl View Post
\So basically if your child gets in trouble and you don't want them to spank your kid, you have to pay them $50.
sounds like a great way for the school to make money what do they consider a justifiable reason for spanking?
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #46
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
sounds like a great way for the school to make money what do they consider a justifiable reason for spanking?
I went to look at the handbook again to check and they don't list any specific behaviors, just that the administration would deem it appropriate. Funny enough, the part about making parents pay for the in school suspension is no longer in the handbook, but I don't know whether that means they no longer make people pay, or if they just took it out of the book. Either way, this "charter" school makes a lot of alarm bells go off for me. I have a friend whose daughter goes there and they like it, but I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #47
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly in that case i would tell them that my kids would be staying home during their suspension and i would not be paying them $50
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #48
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
In the 80's I witnessed a paddling in a NYC middle school. I was a kid myself and I had no idea paddling was something that was done. I was just visiting. None of the schools I attended paddled but there are always ways to punish kids. One teacher threw a kid in the garbage can. I'll never forget it.

I would not give permission to have my kid paddled. If an adult hit my kid I'd be up in that school so fast they wouldn't see me coming.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.

Last edited by Agla; 08-11-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #49
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
In the 80's I witnessed a paddling in a NYC middle school. I was a kid myself and I had no idea paddling was something that was done. I was just visiting. None of the schools I attended paddled but there are always ways to punish kids. One teacher threw a kid in the garbage can. I'll never forget it.

I would not give permission to have my kid paddled. If an adult hit my kid I'd be up in that school so fast they wouldn't see me coming.
when i was a kid we had our music teacher get fired because she told a kid if he was going to act like garbage he stand in the trash can during class. unfortunately we never had a music program after that teacher left. if she had just sent him to the office for being a holy terror my school probably would have had a music program for a much longer time.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #50
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

wow, I am 41 and there was NEVER spanking at school. Never even a threat!