Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #51
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:
Re: Corporal punishment in school

My mom was a taught me that my body was my own and no one could touch me without my permission (victim of abuse) ....In kindergarten my first and favorite teacher sent me to the office to get paddled. I remember trying to explain to them that they didn't have my permission to touch me. I felt violated, sad and distrustful of the teacher I had once loved. When my mom picked me up that day, I explained to her what had happened and she was seething mad. I remember her getting into it with the principle and teacher..I felt a bit more protected, but it took me all year to get over it.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #52
averysmom
Registered Users

My parents who went to the same middle school and high school are 3 years apart. My dad witnessed and received his fair share of spankings in school, but my mom who is younger just my 3 yrs never saw any of it. My dad also went to school during the time 2 boys could get into a scuffle in the hall and the teachers would just send them to the principal's office, but in my school days 2 kids fight the police get called and it's an automatic fine and suspension.

My senior year in high school, a few of my friends were caught skipping school and the assnt principal gave them the option 2 days inschool suspension or 2 swats with the paddle ALL of them took the paddle. Thankfully, I didn't go with them that time.

I live in North TX and I'm not sure if they still paddle or not. I know my dh's 2 younger brothers both played football in highschool and paddling seemed like a regular thing between the coaches and players.

I don't see the problem with paddling high school students, but if some one spanks my young (k-5) I would be at that school so fast.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #53
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
No way anybody but me or my hubs is spanking my kid no matter what he does. Good thing all his bad behavior is reserved for me & the hubs. He is an angel for most people.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #54
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where does your son go to school in TN? Private schools everywhere can use corporal punishment.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #55
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank God it's illegal in Iowa! The private Baptist school isn't even allowed to touch kids, it's against the law. They call the parents and make the parents hit their kids. It's been illegal in Iowa for as long as I've been in school 1990...I think it was made illegal in the 80s. Ick..
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #56
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
They still do it in all of our local schools and you can bet your bottom dollar I would sign the form saying the school is allowed to paddle my children . We homeschool so it is a non issue,but if my child was acting so terribly that the school felt the need to paddle them than so be it. It takes a LOT of disobedience with multiple warnings , write -ups and in school suspension for them to get to the point that they are going to paddle a child. If my child goes through all that and still does not know how to behave than I have failed as a parent.
When I went to HIGH school you could get paddled for being late three times. I wouldn't call that so terrible considering how many students don't even drive themselves. In my elementary school you cold get hit for talking in class and the teachers did it right in front of the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
Really? I thought that went out in the 60s!
I went to school in the 70's/80's and it was long gone by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
I just realized that by not elaborating I probably look like a delinquent.
I received a detention for tardies over a span of time(I was 14 or 15 and didn't drive myself) And the next day I got a detention for forgetting my science book. I couldn't do them at the same time, and detentions were only Tuesday and Thursday, but I had band on Thursdays. So I had to do a detention and a paddling. The asst principal did it with the secretary to witness because I'm female. So, not exactly "acting so terribly," there was not "a LOT of disobedience," and my parents had not failed as parents, i was just a forgetful teen. I'm not scarred for it, but I wasn't some atrocious kid. I was on the honor roll and in Beta club. lol
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
wow, I am 41 and there was NEVER spanking at school. Never even a threat!
Also 41 and it was quite common

It is STILL legal and common here.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #57
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Shoot, paddled for being LATE? I'd have been in soooo much trouble my jr year. I had 1st period off and there were 5 or 6 times when they decided to let school out early because of weather so the school went on a 1pm out schedule (classes shortened by 1/2 an hour) so I was ALWAYS late those days for 2nd period...I never turned on the TV when I was getting ready for school and my mom wasn't home.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #58
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow....apparently in Nebraska we don't discipline like most states...it's illegal here as far as I know. Makes me kinda upset tho to know another adult is taking responsibility for swatting an entire community's worth of children. Idk but I think if the parents cant make their kids behave they should be held accountable.....not the school for enforcing corporal punishment..maybe this one is out of my league bc we don't do it here and my kids are private schooled.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #59
sojomisa
Registered
seller

It's not allowed here. If it were we'd definitely opt out. It would be absurd for me to allow anyone to spank my kids when I don't even do it.

You don't need to spank. Period. There are other methods that work. You just have to be willing to take the time to find them.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #60
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

These are states that currently allow corporal punishment in public schools:
(Source: Center for Effective Discipline) Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wyoming.

I'm 41 as well. I spent my last 3 years of high school in Tennessee from 1986-1989 and we were still paddled. I moved around a bit as an elementary student. In one school in the 2nd grade in Ohio it was still okay to hit a child on the hand with a ruler. I know because I got one! I was talking after being warned not too so the teacher called me up and did it right there. It was embarrassing but I'll be honest I'm not scarred by it, BUT I wasn't abused either and that can make a difference. That was the only time I got swatted in school though.

That said, I would sign the waiver too. I'm not comfortable with someone else spanking my child.