Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #61
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Corporal punishment in school

It was allowed and done when I was in school. Every instance I can remember it was not done for minor misbehavior and I never felt sorry for the kid who got paddled. Honestly, if my kid got paddled at school (if they went to school -we homeschool) I'd be furious with my child for behaving in a way that would require such discipline.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #62
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
It was allowed and done when I was in school. Every instance I can remember it was not done for minor misbehavior and I never felt sorry for the kid who got paddled. Honestly, if my kid got paddled at school (if they went to school -we homeschool) I'd be furious with my child for behaving in a way that would require such discipline.
This is pretty much how I feel. Even though it is legal in my state, most schools don't do it. I know the district I worked in never did. They wouldn't even allow parents to come to school and do it themselves, and there were several parents who wanted to.

It's kind of weird though. When I was in junior high, kids mainly got paddled for fights. It was over and done with. Now, they call the police.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever
When I was in junior high, kids mainly got paddled for fights. It was over and done with. Now, they call the police.
I'm in Louisiana, and it's legal here, which I hate. My LO is only 3 mos, so I'm hoping this changes before she goes to school. I was spanked as a child, certainly ever abused. I wasn't scarred for life or anything, but I recall it as humiliating. It hurt my feelings more than it hurt my tushy, and I still feel somewhat resentful about it.

Anyway, I'm a juvenile PO, and most of my cases originate as referrals from the school. A lot of times, the child was given a choice: accept a paddling and go back to class... or refuse and have the police called. I feel awful for those kids, especially if a fight was what started the issue. I always want to ask the principal, "Let me get this straight... Little Johnny here hit another kid, and when he refused to let YOU hit HIM to show HIM how wrong it is to hit others, you called the police? Brilliant."
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #64
cheeryhomemaker
Registered Users
seller

The elementary school I attended in MO paddled. My brother acted up a lot and got paddled a couple of times. My mom would only let them do it with her there. One time they didn't wait for her. She pulled my brother out of school and he was homeschooled until junior high.
cheeryhomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #65
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Paddling in allowed mainly in southern states in school. I do not spank and no school will lay their hands on my child either.
I got one paddling in school in Kindergarten that I never deserved my teacher asked me a yes or no question my answer was no I did not lie etc but I guess it was not the answer she wanted so she paddled me.

Last edited by kattayanna_mom; 08-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
kattayanna_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #66
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this is from wiki but it is a map showing states that allow paddling vs states that don't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...ted_States.svg
Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #67
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
And to think, in contrast, my grade 10 math teacher was essentially forced to retire early because he took a 15 year old student by the arm and walked her out of his classroom. For talking during an exam after repeated warnings. Her parents sued the teacher and the school. I'm not against spanking, but I would not allow the school to do it.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #68
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
This. I only remember 2 kids getting spanked, and both seriously deserved it.

I'd have no issue with the school spanking my child if she was acting that poorly. Obviously, they go through a lot of "redirection" before they get to that point, and if the reminders, time outs, and other disciplinary actions don't work, do it with my blessing.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote