Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

wool help !!

Ok... I've been using wool and loving it... I have purchased from fsot here... And love our aristocrat lg soakers, tiny tush LG soakers, and other shorties and longies.... But recently we are leaking! We have been using wool for a few months now..

1. I bought a new ecoposh cover... I have lanolized it 3 times.... And it barely lasts an hour on dd. ?? Do I have to let it dry in-between back to back lanolizing?

2. I lanolize with lanolin and aveno.... Mix with hot water, add to tepid water, add soaker,,and I soak for an hour. Air dry after rolling in a towel.. am I doing something wrong?

3. How does wool become felted? Is there a way to felt it only a little?

4. The soakers fit perfectly, except around the waist... They are a little big. No leaks at waist though... Just like it stretched out. I can't fold over waist because dd has a high rise. Is there a way to " shrink down " the waist a little?

5. I've always used more lanolin then a pea size.... I don't mind sticky wool but can you use too much lanolin? Is there anyway to tell if the wool is lanolized enough?

6. How do u know when to re-lanolize? When clothing over wool is damp? Or when wool is damp when it comes off dd?

I love using wool but the leaks are driving me crazy. I've recently started adding extra absorbancy encase that was the problem.... But I don't think dd is a heavy wetter.... She really doesn't drink that much ( but has access all day to a sippy cup, water , etc so no worries about dehydration)
Thanks for your input, suggestions, and help!

Advertisement

ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wool help !!

i have no idea about the leaks unless you maybe have gaps ar the legs? as far as felting goes, it comes from agitating and shocking wool. you can run it through the washer on a hot wash which will agitate the wool and then shock it with the high temp. doing a cold rinse will shock the wool with an extreme temp. further and cause it to felt more. if you want it even more felted, run it through the dryer on high heat
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

No gaps... We use them for about 2 months with no issues ...

Can soakers felt on their own over time?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

I believe they do felt a little on there own over time but I would try back to back lanolizing. Lanolize, fully dry lanolize again. Is your little ones dipe fully soaked when you take off the wool? If it is you need more absorbency in her diaper.

I've heard that interlock needs to be lanolized MORE as well as more often.
If you want to felt it a little I'd hand wash with dawn to get the lanolin out to prevent getting lanolin on your other diapers, throw it in the wash with your diapers, then double lanolize and air dry. It'll give you a fresh start... I wouldn't try to felt it anymore than that unless your prepared to have shrunken stiff non stretchy woolies.

My wool is always sticky after lanolizing.

Also turn your soaker inside out to lanolize, and then before towel drying turn it back to normal and then roll it in the towel in order to prevent the lanolin from the inside of the woolie from sticking to the towel.

Last edited by aemarques; 10-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

Thanks... I do lanolize them inside out. But I will try flipping them the correct way before rolling them in the towel. I prefer my woolies to be sticky.... I used to know they were good then. I will try to add more absorbancy... Sometimes its soaked sometimes not. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
missgen83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use a teaspoon for 3-4 pairs of shorties/longies. Maybe up your lano?
missgen83 is offline   Reply With Quote