View Poll Results: Would you try to deliver breach?
Yes, would find a midwife/OB who could do it if mine wasn't comfortable with it 39 46.99%
Yes if my current midwife/OB gave the okay 12 14.46%
No, but I would try an inversion before a c-section 20 24.10%
No, I would just schedule the c-section 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Would you do a c-section for a breach baby?

My co-worker is due in 2 weeks, but she's opted for a c-section at 39 weeks because her baby is breach and "large." Their weight scan at 36 weeks indicated the baby was 8 lbs at the time and still breach. Just curious what others here would do, since most moms on here seem rather crunchy. I would probably try to deliver breach, but maybe not?

*Oh and she doesn't want to do the inversion, she said her OB didn't recommend it anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 08-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you do a c-section for a breach baby?

I would want to deliver a breech vaginally. I would try an external version first if I was full term.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would need more information to determine what I would do. Is this her first child? Are theree any OB's willing to be on stand-by for a failed breech delivery? Are there any midwives or OBs willing to attempt a breech delivery (most won't anymore because of the liability). I would not trust the weight scan- they can be off by 20% either direction. Why won't she attempt a version? Has she tried rotating her baby on her own? Acupuncture? Chiropractic care? There is still so much she could try before giving in to a c/s.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a c-section for my DD, but she was showing other signs of distress. If she hadn't been, I would have tried getting her to flip through other means (ie, Webster method with the chiro and flipping babies, not a version). If that didn't flip her, I probably would have gone ahead with the c-section because I wouldn't feel safe delivering that way with a doctor that doesn't do them regularly (and most don't). If I had a doctor or midwife that had experience with it, then I would probably try a vaginal breech delivery. There's just so many variables. I definitely wouldn't judge another mama for her choices on that either way.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try to use whatever means possible to "flip" the baby. I would not do a vaginal breech.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
I would need more information to determine what I would do. Is this her first child? Are theree any OB's willing to be on stand-by for a failed breech delivery? Are there any midwives or OBs willing to attempt a breech delivery (most won't anymore because of the liability). I would not trust the weight scan- they can be off by 20% either direction. Why won't she attempt a version? Has she tried rotating her baby on her own? Acupuncture? Chiropractic care? There is still so much she could try before giving in to a c/s.
If she does c sect first then vag later kids lots won't do...they will make u c sect again
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would try vaginal breech. My OB won't do ECVs after 36 weeks because they are riskier and less likely to succeed, but he will do vaginal breech if it isn't your first vag delivery. He's pretty smart and has a crunchy streak so I would be ok with his advice.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an ECV at 36 weeks with my first, which was successful, and went on to have a vaginal delivery. If that had failed, however, I was planning on a c-section. Glad I didn't have to, though.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I would go for the vaginal breech delivery. But, I have had 8 successful vaginal deliveries with one 10-5 pounder, one 9 pounder and 4 almost 9 pounders. I knows pelvis could do it.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I would not schedule a csection for it, I would just rush to the hospital as soon as I thought I was in labor, check for position, ifstill breach? I would do a csection. I wouldn't be comfortable enough with a breech baby to deliver successfully.