Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can a different bottle make a difference?

DD is 2 months. Short story- She is in foster care in another state while we get our homestudy done and all the paperwork gets done so she can cross state lines and be with us. Anyway, the foster mom says she is very gassy and also has trouble feeding - very slow and has a difficult time "latching" on the nipple. I'm wondering if I should try having different bottles on hand for when she gets here to see if it would make any difference. What do you think about trying a different formula, too? She is on similac sensitive right now and foster mom says she does much better on the ready-to-feed vs. the powder. What do you think? Experiences with this type of thing? I would like to be as prepared as possible, b/c when a new baby comes, it is crazy and less trips to the store after she comes would be very helpful.

Advertisement

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First congrats in your new baby girl!!

Is she a small baby? Does she have a smaller mouth? My DD had a tiny mouth and it took 4 weeks for her to get a could latch on my nipple so it can't imagine how it would have been for a bottle.

I would look at the premie nipples or newborn nipples. That might help.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can a different bottle make a difference?

My DD was a micro-preemie and she definitely did better on some bottles then others! I got her all Dr. Brown bottles when we tried those on her and they worked better then the hospital ones. So yes it can make a difference!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

If she is shaking the bottles to mix the formula maybe it is making a lot of bubbles and upsetting her tummy? The ready to feed nipples are very similar to the medela ones and also screw on to the medela bottles if she wants to try mixing her own and using one of the nipples from the ready made on another bottle.
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Try Dr. Brown bottles
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would get some of the ready to feed bottles and nipples and the ready to feed formula in the big bottle. I bet its a combo of the nipple size and the shaking.

Also, the powder is def cheaper so you could make it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge so the bubbles aren't there anymore.

Congrats on your new babe! That's so exciting!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
melissa621
Registered Users
seller

I second Dr browns bottles. My son does great on them.
melissa621 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
dangadadanga
Registered Users

My son didn't want to nurse due to low supply so we used formula also. He didn't do so well on Similac (we tried the Advanced ready to use) - he got rashes. I changed it to powder: Earth's best.
As for bottles, I tried a lot. The best I've found are "breastflow" from the first years, It's the bottle that best mimics nursing. There's also medela calma but it's a lot more expensive.
To give you an idea about the difference: it takes my son 20 minutes to eat 5oz with the Breastflow bottles, and 5 minutes with Aveno and Dr Brown (on no 1 nipples - the slowest flow). He used to choke a lot.
We don't ave any problems with gas anymore.
dangadadanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Kimmyboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I babysit a 4 month old and he was on the Similac Advanced and he spit it up and was gassy so his mom switched him to the Organic and he has been fine on it. She breastfeeds at home when she can(she has a low supply and has to supplement). We use the Playtex nursers and he does really good with those. She was giving him those Similac bottles but it seems like he doesn't suck on them right and they leak.
Kimmyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
DevotedAuntie
Registered Users

My grandson is 6 months old now and has had horrible belly problems since he was born. He wasn't able to really latch breastfeeding and he never really got to a point of being able to latch onto a bottle either and he was getting tons of air. We tried about every bottle we could find, finally we tried avent bottles and almost immediately his belly problems were so much better. Congratulations, btw

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DS Forum