Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need help drying up milk

I gave birth to my precious baby girl on Thirsday. Due to the fact that I am on certain meds I am unable to breastfeed her. I am so engorged and in pain. Any suggestions on drying this up as quick as possible?

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help drying up milk

Try cabbage leaves in a tight fitting bra.

I also suggest checking out http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
Doctors tend to use an outdated source for whether a medication will affect a baby, but this database has the most updated and accurate information.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmommytobe
I gave birth to my precious baby girl on Thirsday. Due to the fact that I am on certain meds I am unable to breastfeed her. I am so engorged and in pain. Any suggestions on drying this up as quick as possible?
((Hugs)) engorgement is no fun. And I've been on meds that aren't good for a nursing baby before so I know how hard that can be.

My daughter was 15 months when I had to abruptly (like, cold turkey) wean her. I kept a cabbage in the fridge and would rip off the big leaves and place them in my bra to provide a sort of cooling effect. I've heard something about the cabbage encourages your milk to go away, but am not sure exactly what.

Hopefully someone can give you advice on a supplement or something as well since your milk just came in, it might take more than cabbage.

Also, keep an eye on how you're feeling. If you get any lumps, warm spots, or get feverish/chills, you'll want to check with your care provider. Some women end up struggling with plugged ducts while trying to dry up.

Also - as I'm sure you'll hear a lot of this - there are some resources you can check out to see if your medication is "actually" bad for baby or if your provider is just being overly cautious. I can provide links if you DO want that. BUT - if you don't then that's fine too. I was devastated when I had to wean and it hurt To have several women questioning my decision. If you feel peace about it, then don't let anyone make you feel bad.

((Hugs))

And congratulations in your baby!!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well I have checked and double checked the meds and then I am also on a diuretic to help keep my bp down. I breastfed my other kids so this has been very emotionally difficult for me but I have to take care of myself to take care of my kids. I am doing cabbage leaves now and a friend is getting me some sage tea. So I will try those. Thanks for the support.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Earth Mama Angel Baby makes a no more milk tea. Hugs mama! Formula was created for situations like yours. Thank goodness we have the technology to nourish babies in all situations.

I would suggest donor milk but Texas doesn't have the highest breastfeeding rates. If you want to find donor milk, I can help you put the word out. I'm a doula and that network is vast.

Congrats on your new baby!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd also recommend sage tea. My midwife is an herbalist and recommends drinking several cups a day to help dry you up. I'd try it along with cabbage leaves.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have actually read that it is good when you are really engorged to pump out just enough milk to relieve the pressure to help ward off clogged ducts. Good luck momma!
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thank you all so much. I feel like everyone has been judging me. That is hard. I have cried alot of tears over it but I know that this is the right decision for us. A friend is on her way with the sage tea for me
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmommytobe
Thank you all so much. I feel like everyone has been judging me. That is hard. I have cried alot of tears over it but I know that this is the right decision for us. A friend is on her way with the sage tea for me
Big, big ((hugs)), Mama.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote