Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
savvinest
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon?

Last year I was supposed to run a half marathon, but I hurt my knee so I was out.

My longest sustained distance run before training was 5 miles. I only had about 2-3 months to train, so I upped my distance about .25 miles every other time I ran. I got up to 7 miles before my knee really started to give out.

- I ran distance about 3x a week.
- At least once a week I would run intervals to help with speed and endurance. I *highly* recommend doing intervals 1-2x a week. I hate doing them because it makes me so nauseous, but my time and endurance improve significantly more than simply running at a jogging pace every day.
- I did not run more than 5x a week total to rest my knee.

Advertisement

savvinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes View Post
@jenndoxx Those podcasts sound really cool, where would I tune in?
Here's her blog.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Up until a month ago I was running 27-29 miles a week. I love running...love love love...the longer/steady the better...but I was running at a 10 min pace.
Then I went back home, my mom said something along the lines of "wow, you are super lean" (she's a runner at 56 years old, but only 1-3 times a week at 3-5 miles each. my total inspiration but built completely different than I am, shes the same height as me but has a 30lb gain on me, she use to run a lot more than this when she was younger, but now does it for only mental/cardio health-she has always been at the same weight no matter her mileage) Anyways, I weighed myself there at my parents house (I don't own a scale) and that when I saw I was barely over 108.

Now, I run every other day. For the most part I run 3 miles in 24 mins..I need a challenge or I get bored and just default back to distance. I run strictly on the treadmill right now since it's over 100 here most days. When it is not hot hot I will do a free run which is usually more distance than speed but I also will just go out and sprint. I also do slower 3 mile runs but at inclines.
I do not feel safe sprinting on the treadmill....so I only do this when I can get outside.

The off days of running I do weight training. I am seeing more muscle mass in my legs and am losing the boxy look in my abs, getting more muscle tone there too as well.
My arms are pretty nice.
I think I may hit my happy medium in this, but will be afraid to try a 1/2 if I stop running for distance.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Savvinest do you do weighted lunges and squats? Stability building...I use to have knee problems when I started upping my mileage and I couldn't figure out why. Then someone suggested I do dead lifts, weighted squats and one leg toe touch to build stability in my knees. One leg is weaker than the other. But since I've started doing this I haven't had any knee issues....going on 6 months now.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, just came back from a 6 mile! Whoo-hoo. Hopefully this means Im getting back to "normal". I really dont run to lose weight but its a nice byproduct, lol. Still have always to go in both my weight and my performance goals but now that Ive started running, i cant imagine not doing it anymore. It just feels good. ...at least at certain points, Right now I find that the air is so heavy that its a bit harder to get the oxygen I need when running. Ive never liked summer running always LOVED fall running...

Yeah they had great coverage of the long distance runs for men and women but they kept taking coverage breaks so the middle part of the races were cut out. so frustrating, I guess they think people wont want to watch the race but I like seeing strategy, and the form of the racers.
irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

not doing a half lol have thought about it...longest i've ever done is an 11K on 11-11-11 at 11pm, it was FUN!! Im not personally into the long distance runs, I prefer 5K's specifically ones with obstacle courses or a trail run. I did warrior dash twice and I'm doing a knock off in Toledo next month.

I train 3-4 days a week, at least one of those is strength training combined with hiit cardio to build endurance, then I run 2-4 miles the other days. One/two days a nice even moderate pace, one day wind sprints (usually only a 1.5-2 mile lol wears u out quick!) ,

I'm starting a boot camp in my area to train mamas for the 5k's this week so I'll get some workout in there as well.
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
I've wanted to do a 1/2 for a couple of years. 5 years ago, I started running and did several 5Ks over a 2 year span. I started training for a 1/2 to run on 10/10/10, but my BIL picked that weekend to get married so I couldn't (after I had gotten up to 9 miles.) My running buddy and I say every year that we are going to run our town's 1/2 but it's always in March/April so when we start training in December it's freezing outside and we end up quitting.

I've gained a lot of weight since I've stopped regularly running. I recently (7 weeks ago) joined crossfit and I have never felt stronger in my life. Once my work hours settle down (been covering tons of extra shifts) and I get into a good homeschool routine, I want to add to my workout and take up shorter distance running just a couple of times a week. (Without cutting down on my 4x/week crossfit yet.) Maybe by November/December I'll commit to the 1/2 training.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's so awesome to find other running mamas!

I'm not training right now, but have been consistently running 4 miles 3x/wk. If I do decide to run another 1/2 in November I will start training in Sept. Last time I did an 8 wk training and it really helped. I ran 4x/wk with a long run day and then cross training 2x/wk with 1 rest day. Once I hit Week 7 I was SO burnt out on running.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm scheduled to run a 1/2 in October - I did a 10 mile race on 4th of July, but then got horribly suck with my gallbladder and had surgery. It's been 3 weeks since surgery now and I just went for my first run - 3 miles, nothing to brag about, but I was not in pain like I thought I would be after surgery. I have a 5K this Saturday.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Any of you long distance mamas use energy chews or gels? I can't have caffeine so that's not what I'm looking for. I'm wanting something to carry with me to eat part way through a long run for an electrolyte boost. Any suggestions brand wise or directions for proper use? Tia!