Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #71
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can run whenever you are ready. Start slow and build slow. Some women are running two weeks after birth!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #72
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Usually it's one person, who sets off at a 10 minute pace. You then run near him/her. So yes, it will end up being a group.

Pacing is the hardest part about racing. It's something you have to force upon yourself, since most everyone sets out with that adrenaline rush. But pushing yourself the first 1/2 only means you are dragging, the second 1/2.

I'm pretty good at pacing. Without watching my time, I will download my garmin and find I was consistent (outside of hills) the entire run, by at least 60 seconds.

My friend, who I always run with, finished the 1/2 in 2:14. But had she paced herself we think she woulda done so much better. She started with 8 min miles, finished with 11.

I started with 11-12 and finished with a 10.

Do you use a garmin or a phone app? I found the phone apps to be so grossly miscalculating we all dumped them. My garmin has motivated me do much by delivering damn near perfect readings, Everytime!

One girl at my 1/2 had run keeper or mapmyrun tell her she did 16 miles. She was very angry at the course setters, after. But the girl who paved right behind her, said she got 13 miles on her phone. That would be enough to get me to cough up for the garmin. 3 mile miscalculation? Wth..

Good for you at breaking the 10min barrier! Do you do any speed runs? Or hill runs? I try to do one a week ( or used to) the mountain run I have kept up with, helped me soooooo much this weekend. I wanted to tell every person I passed 'run the mountain! Every week!!' lol'

I'm still tired. Ran 3 yesterday and won't run again until thurs. so tired :/ lol!! I dream of a marathon next year. Training with my little Levi in the stroller.
I'm going to wait until I start doing my longer runs (like 10 miles, etc) before I decide what pace group to join. I'm comfortable at 10 mi/min for 6 miles but I may want to go with a slower group so that I don't wear out.

I have the MapMyRun app on my phone. For the most part, it's pretty accurate for me. I just run places that I've driven in my car so I know about where the mile markers are anyway. I take my phone, though, because I run in a really rural area so I take it in case I need help but also for the app because on some parts of the roads, there really are no good landmarks. I don't have a Garmin. I've looked at them, but they are freakin' expensive! LOL

On Sunday, I did a 2 mi run and my first mile was 8:36. I was so freakin' pumped!! That's definitely the fastest yet. I live in a really hilly area, so all my runs are hill runs and I think that benefits me in races since I'm used to that. I don't really do speed stuff. I've been trying to use the 2 mi runs in my training program as "speed runs" though and just pushing myself as hard as I can.

A lof of times, I run with a girl who is quite a bit slower than me. She runs at about a 12 min pace. Do you (or anyone can chime in!) think that me slowing down that much to stay with her (and I tend to end up ahead of her even though I try to slow down) is going to hurt my speed in the long run?

Thanks so much for all of your advice!!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901

I'm going to wait until I start doing my longer runs (like 10 miles, etc) before I decide what pace group to join. I'm comfortable at 10 mi/min for 6 miles but I may want to go with a slower group so that I don't wear out.

I have the MapMyRun app on my phone. For the most part, it's pretty accurate for me. I just run places that I've driven in my car so I know about where the mile markers are anyway. I take my phone, though, because I run in a really rural area so I take it in case I need help but also for the app because on some parts of the roads, there really are no good landmarks. I don't have a Garmin. I've looked at them, but they are freakin' expensive! LOL

On Sunday, I did a 2 mi run and my first mile was 8:36. I was so freakin' pumped!! That's definitely the fastest yet. I live in a really hilly area, so all my runs are hill runs and I think that benefits me in races since I'm used to that. I don't really do speed stuff. I've been trying to use the 2 mi runs in my training program as "speed runs" though and just pushing myself as hard as I can.

A lof of times, I run with a girl who is quite a bit slower than me. She runs at about a 12 min pace. Do you (or anyone can chime in!) think that me slowing down that much to stay with her (and I tend to end up ahead of her even though I try to slow down) is going to hurt my speed in the long run?

Thanks so much for all of your advice!!
No, if you could just make sure it's a recovery run for you. Like after your longest run of the week. I run with all kinds of runners. And some have been much slower, but motivating them to keep going helps ME to keep going sometimes. But I think you should start to read that runner, talk about pace/distance before a run. My friend will basically crawl and quit after a mile. Nope. I KNOW what she CAN do and I have been right by her side for every PR she's ever had. She's one of those people who needs me, to PACE her. Lol. running is very social for me. I love going with others

When I first broke 8 miles, 10 miles and then 13.5 I was running with a friend trainning for a marathon. She was desperate for company. Because of her, I broke some mile barriers I never thought I could. And that was only after 5-6 months of 'play' running. I just ran whatever I wanted. No plans. Lol. She really taught me to challenge myself by making plans. And upping my confidence. I never ever thought i'd randomly decide to run a 1/2 having not trained FOR it. But really without so many diverse runners in my world, I would have probably gotten bored

Last edited by keen1981; 09-26-2012 at 03:53 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #74
joyfullyliving
Registered Users
seller

I just read through this entire thread last night, and I wanted to throw in my two cents.

DH and I are running a 25k trail run in October. We have followed the programming from the book Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels for the last few months. I have never run consistently, but this race will show how much I've improved. The programming we've followed does not suggest that you run every time as fast as you can. Instead you run at an easy pace sometimes, interval pace sometimes and threshold pace sometimes. It all is calculated off of a mile or 5k (in my case) time. It has improved my running ability. (I've run several 5k's this summer.) It was recommended to us by an elite runner who said this is what "everyone uses - from high school coaches to pros. The pros just run faster." By the way, I have a great double jogger, but it makes training a little challenging.

As for nutrition, I was told by a pro that she recommends some calories every 45 minutes of running. I tried some beans that they had at her store that are made by jelly belly . They worked well for me.

Also, this pro ran through most of her pregnancies and she said there's a belt out there you can get to support the baby. I've never tried it or seen it, but it might be worth looking into! Way to go with your half marathon self being pregnant! You look great! I did Crossfit the week I delivered. I just scaled everything to what I could do. Great thread.
SAHM to S 10/09 and A 8/11 and expecting #3 1/14 and wife to my

Blessed. Thankful.

Last edited by joyfullyliving; 09-27-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar errors
joyfullyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #75
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use guu every 45 as sports bean take too long to chew swallow, lol. And yes, I've got the support belt! Makes a difference!! Thanks!! I just look crazy dorky
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #76
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Got 6 miles in yesterday. It was a beautiful day! Next weekend I'll go for 7 miles.

Do any of you have custom insoles? I have them and they've been a lifesaver BUT the last few weeks my feet have been aching after my long run. I've only had my insoles since last March, but I'm beginning to wonder if I might need them adjusted or something?

I just bought some new shoes about a month or so ago.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #77
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

And you are removing the old inserts, correct?

Why did you need custom?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #78
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
And you are removing the old inserts, correct?

Why did you need custom?
Yes.

I got the because I was having horrible shin splints.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #79
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you still need them...?

Shin splints are crazy common and you Donny always need custom inserts to over come. So you might be better off, without. Are they stiff? What brand?

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Stability? NeutrAl? And are they appropriate for the terrain? I find my feet get tired only when I am greatly increasing mileage, without building up to it, or when I am wearing road runners on a very rocky trail.

Last edited by keen1981; 10-01-2012 at 03:59 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
simplyleah87
Registered Users
seller

I just started training! I'm using an app called "run training"
I run 4-5 times a week right now