Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

why did my fleece cover worsen DD's rash?

So i use a variety of CDs and DD handles them all pretty much the same, whether it is wool or PUL, microfiber or natural fibers. In fact, I actually notice she is the dryest/healthy-skinned with a regular old PUL pocket diaper stuffed with 2 microfiber inserts even after hours of being in it (but poop always causes a rash no matter what and the longer she is with poop the worse the rash is). We ALWAYS use cheap walmart fleece liners no matter what CD we use because without them her skin seems more prone to get red and 'sweaty' and I like to keep her dry and comfy, hence why I guess microfiber seems to work so well despite me trying to encourage our stash to go in another direction. Anyway, once (I forgot why) she broke out in a rash and I immediately wanted to air her bum out but as a very active, very heavy wetter, going bare is NOT an option. Ever. And since I wanted air circulation I wanted to keep the diaper layers to a bare minimum i.e. no fitteds with doubler etc. I converted some pfs into fitted so it was a very thin option and I made sure it was loose fitting. But like I said, as a heavy wetter I figured I should use a a breathable cover and I didn't have my woolies so I used a double-layer wahm fleece cover. I knew I'd have to change her soon since that fitted could only hold one of her pees but when I went to change her, her bum was furiously red and wayyyy worse than the rash she originally had!! It turned me off of fleece covers ever since then, which is so weird because she uses fleece EVERY TIME right next to her skin and I've heard fleece covers are breathable. I will admit that as I wrote this I realized the same cover felt wet the one time I tried it as a cover and I wondered how on earth anyone could use fleece as an overnight option. However, due to my bad experiences I've only used this cover 2-3 times so I can't imagine I should suspect build-up or something. Any ideas as to why this cover caused her rash to get 1000x worse even though she was wearing thin and breathable layers? When I put a regular diaper back on and just made sure to change fast, the rash got better and eventually went away. It WAS that horrid fleece cover that made the rash angrier P.S. sorry for the extensive background info. Thanks!!

Advertisement

SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: why did my fleece cover worsen DD's rash?

My son cannot wear any fleece he breaks out terribly.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
My son cannot wear any fleece he breaks out terribly.
thanks mama i figure this applies to all fleece for ur son though, right? Or is it only some/certain fleece? Because I figure my daughter is fine with fleece because she uses the fleece liners whereas children such as ur son (I'm assuming) can't even use micro-fleece lined diapers. The only sensitivity she seems to exhibit is sensitivity to her pee (due to the wetness and heat factor and only after being a soaked diaper for a long time as I suspect most kids would) and poo especially (which happens right away a lot worse than any issue she may have with pee--unless the poo is solid then it seems to not be a problem). But she doesn't seem to have issues with fabrics or detergents so this confuses me a lot.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

It depends on the fleece. The balled kind like in older style fuzzibunz is ok. but that grabby kind like on soakers or longies he cannot wear not even on clothing.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Was there a fleece liner inside the fitted diaper? I assume so since you said you use one every time, but just checking... If there wasn't that could be the reason. Was the fitted super soaked when you took it off? If so there could have just been more pee next to her skin since there was not enough fabric to wick it all away, that could have worsened the rash.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm assuming it was a wetness issue since you said you used a thin fitted and the soaker was wet. What kind of fleece was the soaker made from?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHoneyB View Post
Was there a fleece liner inside the fitted diaper? I assume so since you said you use one every time, but just checking... If there wasn't that could be the reason. Was the fitted super soaked when you took it off? If so there could have just been more pee next to her skin since there was not enough fabric to wick it all away, that could have worsened the rash.

I find that prefolds do not hold much wetness unless they are trifolded OR used with a doubler. If you just used a PF that you converted to a fitted, and no doubler, and no stay-dry liner, it probably got really wet with your heavy wetter. The wetness might have irritated her skin. My son gets irritated if he wears too many natural fiber inner diapers consecutively. He has to have stay-dry fabric against his skin at least half the time, otherwise he'll get a little rashy. The rash is worse if the natural fiber fabric is very very soaked.

I think it's contradictory that fleece liners on the inside of her diaper, right against her skin, don't cause a problem yet are certain that a fleece cover would give her a bad rash.

However, I guess anything is possible

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
It depends on the fleece. The balled kind like in older style fuzzibunz is ok. but that grabby kind like on soakers or longies he cannot wear not even on clothing.
The cover is the grabby kind for sure, the cheap Walmart fabric liners are very thin and I also use thicker type idk where that's from but it is the thicker type of fleece. She handles both types of liners just fine. However the cover which is the "grabby" kind is 2 layers thick. I'm pretty sure she has sweaters of the same material that she has no issues with...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHoneyB View Post
Hmm I can't remember. It was my first time doing that so idk if I was trying to limit layers to the point of eliminating the liner, even though now I know I'd never do that since the point is to keep her dry. So I'd say that I'd doubt I didn't have a liner but I can't remember if I did that time, just saying that I never eliminate them even if I'm trying to "air her out".
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

My guess is that there wasn't enough absorbancy in the diaper to wick moisture away fast enough, and even if you did have a fleece liner in there, it needs pressure to push the moisture through, plus absorbancy on the other side of the liner to wick all the pee away. Since you said the diaper was on the looser side, the pee may have just all pooled there.

I'm not sure how old your baby is, but I definitely found that airing out was the fastest way to get rid of a bad rash. If going outside is an option, maybe do that (but stay in the shade, or lather on that sunscreen). Or, there are some cloth diaper friendly rash creams or barrier creams that work really well.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote