Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

How do you know it was the fleece cover and not maybe a detergent reaction or friction from the prefold material that make her rash up ?

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

Advertisement

Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Re: why did my fleece cover worsen DD's rash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I'm assuming it was a wetness issue since you said you used a thin fitted and the soaker was wet. What kind of fleece was the soaker made from?
The soaker was not wet, it was dry. I was just saying that the first time I used that soaker, it was wet when she took a nap, it wasnt soaked but it was wet and i wondered how anyone could use fleece overnight if it couldnt hold ip during a nap. I know now that that issue could be due to compression leaking after reading up that fleece soaked may be probe to that, but regardless I was confused as to how they could then be suitable for night time use. There was no rash that Incident with the nap. That was the first time I used that soaker, or any fleece soaker for that matter. And if she didn't have a rash then, I don't see how a DRY soaker (the time if the rash) could be associated with rash from wetness. I just mentioned the first time/compression leaking incident because 1) it was my first time using fleece for cover and I was turned off by it 2) even soaked it didn't seem to cause any bad rash that I remember and 3) it is because of that first time fail that I never really used that cover, so detergent build up wouldn't cross my mind since I never used it much in the first place. If detergent were an issue I would think her fleece liners would be prone to it; they see every day use, poop and pee, rash cream, etc. the liners would have been an issue way before the cover if detergent or build up was the problem. No?
SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Pardon the typos! Even proof reading isn't enough on my phone apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSoldier View Post
The soaker was not wet, it was dry. I was just saying that the first time I used that soaker, it was wet when she took a nap, it wasnt soaked but it was wet and i wondered how anyone could use fleece overnight if it couldnt hold ip during a nap. I know now that that issue could be due to compression leaking after reading up that fleece soaked may be probe to that, but regardless I was confused as to how they could then be suitable for night time use. There was no rash that Incident with the nap. That was the first time I used that soaker, or any fleece soaker for that matter. And if she didn't have a rash then, I don't see how a DRY soaker (the time if the rash) could be associated with rash from wetness. I just mentioned the first time/compression leaking incident because 1) it was my first time using fleece for cover and I was turned off by it 2) even soaked it didn't seem to cause any bad rash that I remember and 3) it is because of that first time fail that I never really used that cover, so detergent build up wouldn't cross my mind since I never used it much in the first place. If detergent were an issue I would think her fleece liners would be prone to it; they see every day use, poop and pee, rash cream, etc. the liners would have been an issue way before the cover if detergent or build up was the problem. No?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
My guess is that there wasn't enough absorbancy in the diaper to wick moisture away fast enough, and even if you did have a fleece liner in there, it needs pressure to push the moisture through, plus absorbancy on the other side of the liner to wick all the pee away. Since you said the diaper was on the looser side, the pee may have just all pooled there.

I'm not sure how old your baby is, but I definitely found that airing out was the fastest way to get rid of a bad rash. If going outside is an option, maybe do that (but stay in the shade, or lather on that sunscreen). Or, there are some cloth diaper friendly rash creams or barrier creams that work really well.
She's almost 2 . It was a month ago or so. Wish I had found the time to post my question sooner... If pooling was the culprit, wouldn't the cover be soaked? Or wouldn't the pee leak through if its not being absorbed? Through the sides? The legs? Or when changing her there would have been pee everywhere? I agree it was loose, not dangling since the pf fitted has elastic but she's used them other times and pooling hasn't been an issue. But she was up and running and playing and climbing so there would have been some spillage I think. Running around outside wasn't an option unfortunately and even indoors we have carpet, she runs around every wear and climbs on the couch and the bathroom floor linoleum would make her slip of I were to subject her to being locked in there with me or DH for the sake of nakey time :/ she's already slipped once from getting out the tub wet, even with towels on the floor. I can't imagine letting her pee even on tile while she's running around. She'd fall
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibirsd View Post
How do you know it was the fleece cover and not maybe a detergent reaction or friction from the prefold material that make her rash up ?

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
in 1 of my replies (post #12) I talk about how i was turned off by this soaker the first time i used it, so it pretty much has only gone through one wash (or two, washing it when i first got it or something). So if it had build up or detergent issues her liners would have had this a long long time ago since i always use the same detergent for CDs and i've only washed it once or twice, max (plus those liners have seen poop and pee on a daily basis and even rash creme so if they dont have build up why would that fleece cover?). Friction from the prefold? I'm really doubting i didnt use a liner like I always do and she uses lots of pfs and pul covers at home so she's very accustomed to trifolded prefolds with liners. What do u mean by friction? From the prefold being up against her skin? It wasnt tight at all, and pretty she had her liner for stay dry....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post

I find that prefolds do not hold much wetness unless they are trifolded OR used with a doubler. If you just used a PF that you converted to a fitted, and no doubler, and no stay-dry liner, it probably got really wet with your heavy wetter. The wetness might have irritated her skin. My son gets irritated if he wears too many natural fiber inner diapers consecutively. He has to have stay-dry fabric against his skin at least half the time, otherwise he'll get a little rashy. The rash is worse if the natural fiber fabric is very very soaked.

I think it's contradictory that fleece liners on the inside of her diaper, right against her skin, don't cause a problem yet are certain that a fleece cover would give her a bad rash.

However, I guess anything is possible
I agree on how it sounds very contradictory. i'm so confused by this that im really scared about ever using fleece as a cover and even as an inner for diapers or something-BUT liners are fine? Really, i'm so lost here. I want to make mama cloth especially for PP and it's even discouraging from using fleece for that even though it does such a great job at keeping her dry and healthy otherwise. She is the dryest and healhtiest with a pocket and a fleece liner (and even disposables), that's 2 layers of fleece next to her skin so idk why a fleece cover would have irritated her rash sooooooo bad. Could it have been a combination of wetness from not enough absorbancy for her heavy wetness plus too much heat since the cover is double-layer thick fleece? And here I was trying to air her little bum out seriously, so turned off by this i have stuck to the wonders of wool for times like this.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think since you've only used the cover once, it's probably too early to say that any fleece cover will cause your dd to rash up. I think that if you try the cover again and she has the same reaction, then just stick to your pockets. If you are nervous (understandably) to try it again then you can always list it for sale so it's not a total loss.

If you want breathability try a more absorbent fitted and go cover less. Fleece covers and wool covers are only moisture resistant; you have to have a good absorbent diaper underneath or it will leak.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
My guess is that there wasn't enough absorbancy in the diaper to wick moisture away fast enough, and even if you did have a fleece liner in there, it needs pressure to push the moisture through, plus absorbancy on the other side of the liner to wick all the pee away. Since you said the diaper was on the looser side, the pee may have just all pooled there.

I'm not sure how old your baby is, but I definitely found that airing out was the fastest way to get rid of a bad rash. If going outside is an option, maybe do that (but stay in the shade, or lather on that sunscreen). Or, there are some cloth diaper friendly rash creams or barrier creams that work really well.
in conjunction with all the other posts, i think ur right-maybe too much wetness and not enough absorbancy, but i can't shake the feeling that the fleece cover had something to do with it. It just got SOOO bad, the rash really wasn't even THAT bad I just wanted to prevent it from turning bad and after i used that cover it was REALLY bad, from redness to open skin (( I wanted to go the better and more natural route and air her out but barrier creams seem to help her more since trying to air her out just creates another problem it seems (her heavy wetness vs not enough absorbency vs trying to keep the layers to a minimum for breathe-ability, etc). Even her last recent rash wasn't going away much until I finally gave up, put a disposable overnight with desitin and the next morning the rash was healed. It seems to be the only sure-fire way, the disposable is very absorbent but thin enough to not cause so much 'heat' in her bum and the desitin seems to protect her and even heal her... I even invested in all types of fitteds (used so idk if that makes a difference) from goodmamas to b4s, but when that sticky poop comes, it messes her bum up so much and no amount of coverless fitteds or 'airing out, our style' (thin layers with wool covers now) seem to help like sposies and desitin unfortunately it took forever for her last rash to go down that way, but as soon as poop hits it it gets really bad again so i need to heal it asap before poop worsens it. Kind of went off on a tangent there
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

for the record i just wanted to add that since that trial time of 'airing her out, our style' (aka using minimal layers and a breathe-able cover and changing much more frequently), our method now includes using maybe a similar-layered fitted (1-2 layers of a natural fabric) that's not too tight (always has elastic though) with maybe a thin kind of liner, bamboo or something but very thin. And wool. OR we use fitteds like a goodmama or a mutt with no cover and the soakers/doublers they come with. but always with fleece liners to keep her dry. Never have any of these methods resulted in a rash being worse, let alone wayyyyy worse. I have however found that even then, doing this all day long does not equate to the power of one disposable with desitin to heal her rash for sure. Especially if she poops during her 'airing out' periods. Soooo...fleece covers scare me still
Old 08-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #20
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi View Post
I think since you've only used the cover once, it's probably too early to say that any fleece cover will cause your dd to rash up. I think that if you try the cover again and she has the same reaction, then just stick to your pockets. If you are nervous (understandably) to try it again then you can always list it for sale so it's not a total loss.

If you want breathability try a more absorbent fitted and go cover less. Fleece covers and wool covers are only moisture resistant; you have to have a good absorbent diaper underneath or it will leak.
ty! I would advise the same thing if i were to suggest something, first it was compression leaking and then it was angry rash...idk. i think i can only be brave enough to try another fleece cover instead. maybe that cover just doesnt like me. ive had good luck with wool and thinner fitteds but only if i change like every 3o minutes so yeah, that's why i invested in thicker/absorbent fitteds since i had zero. But again, they seem to help rashes and redness from getting worse (unless theres poop) but they dont really go away at all (unless i use a sposie and desitin one good time, like overnight). Im just so worried that with her heavy wetting, 16 layers of anything, even if it is bamboo or something will be counterproductive even coverless which is why i shy away from coverless fitteds because if she is coverless, she WILL feel damp after a pee or 2 unless i double or triple up on soakers, and wouldn't that be the same as just throwing on a pul cover and using less doublers? I am getting some fabric to see if i make her my own custom fitteds with less layers but equal absorbency or more wish me luck!!