Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

Re: What age did you start . . .

about 7 months with my 3rd baby... and honestly he only ate a few bites at a time. At 14 months he is just now eating a good amount of solids and even now he has his days when he just wants to nurse.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
rds989
Registered Users
seller

Ds we started at 6 months. He wasn't very interested then, so it was probably a month or two until he ate a significant amount.

With dd, we started at 4 months but let it go for a while b/c she wasn't that interested. But then at 5 months she started to scream if she was at the table with us and we didn't give her any food, so we figured that was pretty clear communication on her part . She liked it a lot after that - she had bad reflux, and thick rice cereal really seemed to help her. She's been enthusiastically eating finger foods since about 7 months.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
ProudSpark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With Katelynne i started her really early becuz of the allergy issues. At four months I started feeding her cereal (only one or two spoonfuls and really runny), then every week I would try something different...but only a few spoonfuls and then BFed her. But by the time she was 6 months I knew that she wasnt allergic to most things and i could feed her whatever.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started at 6 months, but she wasn't really interested until about 8 or 9 months, at which point she really just wanted to feed herself. She had no interest in "baby food" - she wants to feed herself! At 11 months, she is self-feeding and eating "grown up" food ONLY - hasn't had babyfood in over 2 months......
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

My dd is 7 1/2 months old and we still do exclusive breastfeeding. I am in no hurry of starting solids. They do not really *need* it in my opinion. I know a mother who nurses exclusively until her children are a year old. That's what I plan on trying. I do not want to cut down on my nursing in any way.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started my older son on solids at 6 months. He seemed really ready... not meals but I offered cereal and veggies once or twice a day.

With my 4 year old DD I started at 8 months. She loved it, and shortly after switched to real food.

With my baby now no solids yet. He is just 8 months and I hope my stash/pumping can last another 7 weeks. That's when summer break begins and I can nurse on demand. I do have to teach summe school intensely for 3 weeks but not until he is close to a year. This is when I hope to go to solids as I will not have time to pump more than twice a day and will not have enough of a stash to last more than a few days....

Wow, this is long!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
mamas120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well w/ dd 1 we started her on cereal and so forth when she was 4 months old

and dd 2 we started when she was a little after 6 months old - she had reflux and could hardly hold milk down for the first few months so we delayed her eating solids as long as possible.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #18
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

With DS...we started at 3.5 months. He was making it VERY clear to us that he WANTED FOOD. Hes a very independant booger and always has been. Always been to big for his britches

DD on the other hand. She showed absolutly NO signs of wanting to start solids until a year old so I didnt push it. At about a year old she started showing signs so we started giving her table foods (I never suspected allergies because we dont have a history of allergies anywhere in our family) Of course we didnt start giving her 5 course meals...just a little egg here...a little of this there...I think she nursed more than she ate until I got pg when she was 16 months old. Thats when I started pushing her to eat more solids because I was night weaning her.

Anyways, DD is MORE than healthy! I plan on doing the same thing with the new baby. I wont push solids on him at any time...if he shows interest I will feed him.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
momeeboys
Registered Users

Go to www.Kellymom.com--lots of great information. The AAP is recommending exclusively breatfeeding until 6 months, then introducing solids. There is really no need to start solids since baby is getting all nutrients from BM (or formula--I suppose)). Solids are just for introduction to taste, not for any real nutritional value.

You want to look for signs of readiness--able to sit up, a keen interest in watching you eat. If you wait long enough, you can even skip baby food all together and just feed baby off your plate--it'll save you a lot of money!

I started DS1 on rice cereal at 4 months; he gobbled it up and after a few more exposures ended up with a horrid allergic reaction--excessive vomiting for a good 1.5 hours. Not something you want to see in a 4 month old--very scary! We stopped and at 6 months started him on fruits.

With DS2, we waited to six months. He had the same reaction to rice cereal that his brother did (tho we didn't start him on it). I stopped until he started grabbing for my food at around 10 months. He's 11 months now, and eats solids maybe twice a day, the rest come from me.

With a possible 3rd child, I'm skipping solids until DC is really ready. Shine the ILs and grandmas who think every kid needs rice cereal or baby food at 4 months.

By the way, you really don't want to load up your very young baby on somthing with so little nutritional value. Fill DC up on BM first (or formula, if that's what you're doing!. And by golly gosh, I didn't know rice cereal was still being putting in bottles!
momeeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #20
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tried some homemade baby veggies with zander at nine months, but he was not into it at all... He wasn't really into foods until around 18 months... I wondered about it & a lot of people questioned me (almost harrased me about it actually)...

but another ap mama I know brought to my attention a study that shows a connection between children not wanting to eat solids & them having allergies or sensitivity to certain foods... this makes sense to me as I have allergies... & I should mention he's always been a healthy weight!
grew just fine on mama milk for well over a year!!

another mama, our bradly instructor, tries to only give her children breast milk the first year, because of information she has read stating that the longer you wait to introduce certain foods, the less of a chance of allergies... even some more mainstream info says to wait until 8-9 months...

Good luck deciding what's best for your family!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote