Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tubal Ligation vs. copper IUD? ~long post~

Currently expecting our 2nd baby (due next week). DH and I wanted to start discussing our family planning options post baby. We were on the fence about having a 3rd, but that would mean a bigger house, another pregnancy (which is super stressful for us), another year off of work for me and we wanted to keep the kids close together. So, we determined that we're done having children after this one.

Hormonal birth control does not work for us, Mirena did not work for us (fell out after a year and a half of pure hell), NFP is great for us when TTC, but not when TTA. We suck at using condoms or any other barrier methods because we really just want to get caught up in the moment and not have to worry about unplanned pregnancy and want to be responsible about it prior to DTD.

So I'm torn between having a tubal ligation or getting a copper IUD. DH will not have a vasectomy - severe hospital/doctor anxiety, then there's the scalpel in the testicular area to add to that. Plus he is using all of his time off this year to help out with baby #2 once she makes her appearance.

TUBAL QUESTIONS

-if I do end up having a repeat c-section (not by choice...worst case scenario), does it add any extra time to recovery or complications? Is it less effective if done during a c-section?

-How long/difficult of a recovery can I expect from a tubal ligation on its own? (again DH will not be able to take much time off to help with the kids/housework)

Copper IUD QUESTIONS
- what are the side effects (your personal experience preferably)

Anyone have experience with both? Any positives or negatives or comparisons?

Another consideration is that our provincial health insurance will cover a tubal ligation (not reversals), but they do not cover hormonal BC or IUD's/implants etc.

Advertisement

amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles
Currently expecting our 2nd baby (due next week). DH and I wanted to start discussing our family planning options post baby. We were on the fence about having a 3rd, but that would mean a bigger house, another pregnancy (which is super stressful for us), another year off of work for me and we wanted to keep the kids close together. So, we determined that we're done having children after this one.

Hormonal birth control does not work for us, Mirena did not work for us (fell out after a year and a half of pure hell), NFP is great for us when TTC, but not when TTA. We suck at using condoms or any other barrier methods because we really just want to get caught up in the moment and not have to worry about unplanned pregnancy and want to be responsible about it prior to DTD.

So I'm torn between having a tubal ligation or getting a copper IUD. DH will not have a vasectomy - severe hospital/doctor anxiety, then there's the scalpel in the testicular area to add to that. Plus he is using all of his time off this year to help out with baby #2 once she makes her appearance.

TUBAL QUESTIONS

-if I do end up having a repeat c-section (not by choice...worst case scenario), does it add any extra time to recovery or complications? Is it less effective if done during a c-section?

-How long/difficult of a recovery can I expect from a tubal ligation on its own? (again DH will not be able to take much time off to help with the kids/housework)

Copper IUD QUESTIONS
- what are the side effects (your personal experience preferably)

Anyone have experience with both? Any positives or negatives or comparisons?

Another consideration is that our provincial health insurance will cover a tubal ligation (not reversals), but they do not cover hormonal BC or IUD's/implants etc.
I had a tubal 9 months PP after DS. Never had a copper IUD though so I can't help you there!

Having a tubal with your section adds no extra healing time. I'm not sure about being less effective though. I would guess not, since it's pretty common to do it then.

I had my tubal on Dec 22. Surgery at 7:30 AM, discharged at 10:30 AM. Went home had a long nap, then got up, packed our suitcases and headed to my grandmas house 4 hours away. I had a bit of pain, but very tolerable. Probably for about a week afterwards I was sore. I never took anything for pain after the first day though.

Good luck with your decision! It's a tough one to make!

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Tubal Ligation vs. copper IUD? ~long post~

I have had both

The copper IUD went in easy peasey with no pain 5 weeks PP after DS3. DH was 100% sure he wanted no more babies, I was not. I felt great, had no cramping, no worse AF, and liked it. I was satisfied with the idea of only dealing with BC only 2 times before menopause. I also liked it was not permenant either. It was very effective and not a bother.

I had it removed once DH said I could have one more. It came out with no problem or pain.I got PG the second cycle it was out.

I had a vaginal delivery and had to wait till I was 2 mos PP to have the surgery. It was simple and fast. I had no paon post surgery, nursed baby comfortibly when I got home, and felt great after. It has been 2 1/2 months post tubal and have had no side effects. I love that I cannot change my mind and beg for "one more" to DH who would give in to make me happy. Both options are great, it really depends on how done you really think you are. Not 100% sure no more or change your mind some days, go IUD first. If you are 100% with no desire for more, then skip it and go tubal and not have to think about it again.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never used either of these, but here is what I know.

My advice would be to research both options thoroughly first. There is something called "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" - many, many women have successful tubal ligations with no complications - I'm not trying to scare you - it's just that you should be aware of the risks, and tubal ligation doesn't come without risk. I know of several women online who experienced this and didn't even know it could happen before they had the procedure done.

I believe the risks to Paraguard are lower, especially because you can (as far as I know) resolve any issues by removing the IUD.

As such, I would personally opt for Paraguard, coupled with the fact that I'm not personally a "permanent solution" type of person - I never know when I might change my mind - lol!

Good luck making your decision, mama!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked at the Essure procedure, that's what I am thinking about doing.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the copper IUD for 7 years before I had my first baby. I too cannot tolerate hormonal BC so it was somehting I really pushed my OBGYN to give me. My experience was that the insertion was NO FUN. Nothing compared to say, childbirth, but it hurt pretty bad for about a couple of hours. Have someone else drive you, because I thought I would get in a car accident. I was worried that I couldn't move my foot to brake. I was crampy and weird feeling for a couple days and then felt fine.

The removal was really easy and didn't hurt at all. I got pregnant 6 months after removal (at 36 years old).

I really found it to be a great method of BC. It did give me longer and heavier periods. Other than that I had no side effects what so ever. In fact after I have baby #2 I plan on getting another one. The best part is it's good for ten years (vs. 5 years for hormonal).

Costwise, it's cheaper than most other forms of BC. Yes it's pricey upfront. $350 maybe? But the cost over ten years it's probably the cheapest. Is there a planned parenthood in your area? Even if you have insurance, PP is probably cheaper than other drs, esp. for BC.

I think you said that Mirena came out when you used it before, had you been pregnant? As I recall, it is more common for any IUD to be expelled if you have never had a baby before.

All the issues with IUDs in the eighties were because dr were giving them to teenage girls who were engaging in riskier behaviors. That and a really bad design on one IUD caused a lot of STD-related sterility. Dr. generally wont give them to women who haven't had kids and aren't in monogomous relationships. However, worldwide the copper IUD is the most commonly used BC.

Clearly, it's your choice. For me, I just wouldn't want a surgery or the finality of it.

Last edited by AniMommy; 08-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote