Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: OMGness, what is this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates View Post
My husband is mildly allergic to fire ants and when he is bit this is ExACTLY what it looks like. (i say mildly because he is deathly allergic to bees so in comparison...) Pus filled lump at the center with red swelling around, sometimes up to 12" from the boil. We put hydrocortisone cream and leave it alone. Don't pop it, and I "make" him not scratch it. Sometimes if the itching is really bad I make a paste out of baking soda and water and I rub it on and leave it. It can take 4-5 days for his swelling to go all the way down.

I'm by no means an expert, but I HTH!

I think it did help, I put baking soda paste on it and ds stopped scratching at it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an ant, ds said him and uncle O were rolling around in the yard.

Thank you ladies, I get so panicked over things, have been told many times that it is quite obvious that this is my only child.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

It looks like it could be a sting that the stinger its still stuck in. you can try scraping it with the edge of a credit card to see if the stinger comes out.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Looks like a fire ant bite to me. Mine get like that!

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

I would get it checked out. that is what my DSs brown recluse spider bite looked like.I would use a marker or pen and draw around the redness so the Dr can see if it has got worse from tonight till you see the Dr. FX all is ok! My sons got bad and they had to scrape it out. it was the size of a quarter in just 24 hours! We went to the Dr the day before and they sent us away with nothing thinking it was just a bug bite that got infected and the next day is was WAY WORSE and he had to have it scraped out and antibiotic shots in his leg!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Windexqueen22
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'mommakaye
I would get it checked out. that is what my DSs brown recluse spider bite looked like.I would use a marker or pen and draw around the redness so the Dr can see if it has got worse from tonight till you see the Dr. FX all is ok! My sons got bad and they had to scrape it out. it was the size of a quarter in just 24 hours! We went to the Dr the day before and they sent us away with nothing thinking it was just a bug bite that got infected and the next day is was WAY WORSE and he had to have it scraped out and antibiotic shots in his leg!
With Brown recluse bites the skin usually starts dying and turning black from the poison. If it was a BR bite the black would have already been showing by now. It would be more like a hole or and indentation instead of a swollen/puffy bump
Windexqueen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windexqueen22 View Post
With Brown recluse bites the skin usually starts dying and turning black from the poison. If it was a BR bite the black would have already been showing by now. It would be more like a hole or and indentation instead of a swollen/puffy bump
This is not what happens in all cases. Brown recluse bites take 1 to 2 days to flare. Before that you can have it look just like the pic. I was bitten by a brown recluse and scratched it but since I have staph topically naturally I also scratched staph into the wound.
Either way go directly to the clinic tomorrow and do NOT squeeze anything.
Good luck.
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
austxmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
When I get a fire ant bite it looks like this. You may want to give him some Benadryl.
austxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
hollyecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm probably late to the party here, but DS1 has bad reactions to mosquito bites that look just like that. The doc says it's common and nothing to worry about. She gave me prescrition strength hydro cortisone to put on them. If I catch the bit immediately after the mosquito gets him, it almost doesn't swell at all. Otherwise, he gets giant hot welts for a day or two. Then if he scratches too much, I have to put bandaids w/ neosporin on to help with infection. It sounds worse than it is. Fortunately, central Texas is drier and has lots of bats for eating mosquitoes, so I only have to deal with it occasionally! Hoping for the best Mama!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, my brother was allergic to mosquito bites and whenever he got bit, his mosquito bites looked like that.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I think it looks like a boil but that wouldn't explain the itching.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote