Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: caffeine and pregnancy

My Dr told me no more than 2 cups a day, I never drank even that when not pregnant so I just didn't worry about it.

With my first I lost the taste for anything with caffeine, with my second and third I could not function without it! With my fourth pregnancy (early miscarriage) I was already losing the taste for it at 5 weeks

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey View Post
I drink 2 cups a day in order to function....drank it with C too.....but then again, I am not a stickler to the rules.....I don't take prenatals either because they irritate my ulcerative colitis....gasp!
Yep--this is me. I drink at least 1 iced coffee every morning and sometimes have a 2nd or a pepsi in the afternoon. I drank at least that much with DS2 also.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I think that something like 8 cups a day is linked to miscarriage; coffee in moderation should be fine.
This made me feel better. When I was pregnant with our youngest I couldn't function without drinking between 2-4 cups a day.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I cut it. It's a drug, in a sense. You get used to it and realize an apple in the morning wales you up just a well!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I cut it out too. With one of my previous pregnancies I had a mw appt fairly early in the morning. I stopped by mc'ds and had an iced coffee. When I got to my appt we did the usual routine and then listened to the heart beat. My midwife became alarmed as did i, the babies heartrate was so incredibly high. She asked me everything I ate and drank that day...i told her..but forgot the coffee. She asked are you sure you had no caffine today? Oppps. I told her and she informed me I had given my baby a caffine high.
I had never felt like such a terrible mother before in my life. But after hearing how high that poor babys heart was pounding to keep up with the caffine...it broke my heart...I haven't touched caffine during pregnancy since.
Its different when you can't see the effect your choices make on your baby, and when you can. Your baby's heart works overtime when you have caffine.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey
good thing I drank those 2 cups of coffee.......because my low birth weight baby was a mere 7lbs15oz. I would hate to think how big she would have been had I switched to decaf......we all have our vices
I drank at least a cup per day the whole time, more after about 20 weeks, and both my kids were over 9 pounds.

Caffeine, like most things, is fine in moderation.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
I cut it. It's a drug, in a sense. You get used to it and realize an apple in the morning wales you up just a well!
Blasphemy!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
My doc(the 1 with the girls and the one I have now) both said 1-2 cups(reg size-not venti lol) was fine. I however didnt drink it at all with dd1(didnt like coffee), switched to decaf until my 3rd tri with dd2-then 1cup a couple times a wk, and have limited my intake to a half cup on saturday-sometimes another half on sunday- starting after 14wks this time. I have always eaten a crap load of dark chocolate though and have choosen to get my limited amount of caffiene mostly from there.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

in the beginning of all my pregnancies I cut it completely (minus whatever is in chocolate ice cream) first pregnancy I actually hadn't had caffeinated drinks for over 4 years (hadn't drank anything other than water during that time frame, so it was very easy. 2nd pregnancy no caffeine until 26 weeks, and then it was very sporadic. 3rd pregnancy now and made it to 24 weeks, then I started having a coffee or soda aprox one a week. "Funny" thing is-- whenever I want to have a bowel movement I have a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later I'm running to the bathroom, the rest of the day my urine smells just like the coffee.

baby 1- 7lb 14oz
baby 2-8lb 12 oz
baby 3- tbd
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
loveramongstars
Registered Users

I drink an occasional coke. No coffee (never liked it). I see no more than one day and definetly no mountain dew!

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote