Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: caffeine and pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961 View Post
:shrug: Everybody has stuff the are more conservative about and stuff they are more risky about. I just wanted to mention the low birthweight stuff because that is something I never hear about on these boards so I figure most people have not read about that research. I wouldn't have except that I had just found out I was pregnant when it came out, and was looking into it. It seems pretty clear that there is a real relationship there. (Note: that doesn't mean that everyone who drinks coffee will have a low birthweight baby. Just like not everyone who smokes will have a low birthweight baby. But it's still a risk.) I gave up caffinated coffee and tea, but I've never had an addiction to caffeine so it was easy for me. I actually still buy decaf and my daughter is 3. For someone with a mild addiction I can see it being very difficult to give it up, especially in the first trimester when you are so tired, and not being worth it to lower your risk.

As far as the decaf process, I looked into that a little bit at the time, it seemed like there are various methods and only one of the ones I found looked like it could possibly be harmful (but there was no research proving it). Just looking at my bag of Dunkin Decaf, it doesn't specify what method it uses.
What would my baby have weighed if I eliminated my 2 Medium coffees a day... he was already 9lbs 10oz!!!!

There was no way I could have stayed awake without coffee during pregnancy, so just like anything else (well, obvs not alcohol or drugs).... in moderation.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey View Post

ETA: I rarely drink pop of any kind, because after all, that stuff is just as horrible for you, probably worse than 2 cups of coffee........
I suppose that depends on what you define as "bad for you" and how much sugar and other crap you put in your coffee.

In terms of caffeine, one average cup of coffee has about 4 times as much caffeine as a single can of coke. So if it's the caffeine that you are most worried about, the coffee is for sure worse.

In terms of sugar, well, I know people who put multiple tablespoons in each cup of coffee, on top of tons of fakey powdered creamers. And then any flavored syrups are likely to have more sugar and/or HFCS. I haven't ever researched the actual sugar content of those things, since I don't drink coffee, I imagine that when you start doing all that, they are coming up on pretty equal. Now, if you are drinking black coffee or close to, then probably the can of coke is going to be worse

Now you have me curious, I wonder, if you pull up in the drive thru at McDonalds...which is going to be the better choice, a large coke or a large iced mocha latte or whatever. Off to google!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I suppose that depends on what you define as "bad for you" and how much sugar and other crap you put in your coffee.

In terms of caffeine, one average cup of coffee has about 4 times as much caffeine as a single can of coke. So if it's the caffeine that you are most worried about, the coffee is for sure worse.

In terms of sugar, well, I know people who put multiple tablespoons in each cup of coffee, on top of tons of fakey powdered creamers. And then any flavored syrups are likely to have more sugar and/or HFCS. I haven't ever researched the actual sugar content of those things, since I don't drink coffee, I imagine that when you start doing all that, they are coming up on pretty equal. Now, if you are drinking black coffee or close to, then probably the can of coke is going to be worse

Now you have me curious, I wonder, if you pull up in the drive thru at McDonalds...which is going to be the better choice, a large coke or a large iced mocha latte or whatever. Off to google!
I drink my coffee with 2% milk, no sugar or sweetners

Some people are worried about caffeine and bone issues, because of the calcium absorption, where the carbonation in pop is far worse on bones than caffeine......just sayin
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well that's what I mean though, it's all about which "bad for you" is the one you actually worry about. It's a subjective thing
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hear up to 2 cups a day is fine ! And, the major risks are during your first trimester, so if you have a hard time abstaining, you only have to be on your best behavior for the first 3 months :-)
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a coffee drinker... I LOVE coffee. I just switch to decaf while pregnant and while nursing.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well that's what I mean though, it's all about which "bad for you" is the one you actually worry about. It's a subjective thing
this exactly.......like prenatals are actually bad for me, DHA is even worse
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife
. "Funny" thing is-- whenever I want to have a bowel movement I have a cup of coffee and 30 minutes later I'm running to the bathroom, the rest of the day my urine smells just like the coffee.
Yes.. Coffee keeps you regular
One of the benefits
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I only drank coke and iced tea with my first 2 pregnancies but then with my 3rd I CRAVED RedBull! I asked my OB if it was ok and he said that as long as there's no warning on the side of the can then I'm good in moderation. With my 5th I liked coffee and had a cup of coffee once I was over my horrible sickies and soda. With my last baby I couldn't stomach coffee for a few months so in order to prevent horrible withdrawal migraines I drank Redbull again. Only 80mg so it's no worse then a couple Cokes or a few iced teas or cup of coffee ya know? Plus the B6 & B12 helped my nausea and energy! :-)

Eta- none of my babies had breathing problems, even my 34wk twins and all of them have been large for gestation. My twins were 5 & 6lbs at 34wks and the other 4 were 8lb, 8lb10oz (#5 & #6) and 9lb2oz :-)

Last edited by TwinKristi; 08-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #40
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I drank a cup of coffee a day until it made me sick. Then I drank a coke. I think its fine along with everything else in moderation.