Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

How much to charge for mama cloth?

I have been trying my hand at mama cloth lately. I really like using fleece back with either cotton or bamboo absorbent layers. I have been researching on Hyena and Etsy for pricing and they all seem very over priced. When I can make one cloth pad for less than $3, how much should I charge for them? They don't take much time to make and I can't justify charging $7-$12 like other makers do.

Advertisement

kbevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much to charge for mama cloth?

I make mama cloth but don't sell it, I think people paying $7-$10 is very reasonable. I mean, you need to pay yourself for your time, not just your materials. Also keep in mind a listing fee, paypal fees etc. Also, many people will question things that are priced so way lower than other stores. They will think that the quality isn't the same, so keep that in mind.

If you use flannel as the backing, what keeps them from leaking through? I've only used fleece, so I am just curious

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) and Felicity (8/15)
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

A properly made pad will cost time and money. They seem overpriced because you (likely) are not taking into consideration the true costs of running a business.

Materials cost are just the tip of the iceburg for the true cost of a mama pad. I have over $3500 invested into my machines (sewing, embroidery, serger, snap press). Machines require maintenance, which is not free. To keep my costs low for my buyers, I buy my fabrics in bulk. That can mean spending $200 on a bolt (or $350 if we are talking OBV).

How many pads can you make in an hour? What do you want your hourly wage to be? What about profit?

Have you taken into consideration other business expenses, such as Etsy, Paypal, credit card processing fees? What about business taxes? You have to claim your income on your taxes each year, so that takes a good chunk of the profit away too.

It may look like we are overcharging (like you say), but trust me, there are MANY hidden expenses to running a business.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

she wrote it much better than I did

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) and Felicity (8/15)
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiki View Post
If you use flannel as the backing, what keeps them from leaking through? I've only used fleece, so I am just curious
I use fleece back (said in my original post) or PUL. The absorbent fabric is bamboo fleece, cotton interlock, or flannel.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
A properly made pad will cost time and money. They seem overpriced because you (likely) are not taking into consideration the true costs of running a business.

Materials cost are just the tip of the iceburg for the true cost of a mama pad. I have over $3500 invested into my machines (sewing, embroidery, serger, snap press). Machines require maintenance, which is not free. To keep my costs low for my buyers, I buy my fabrics in bulk. That can mean spending $200 on a bolt (or $350 if we are talking OBV).

How many pads can you make in an hour? What do you want your hourly wage to be? What about profit?

Have you taken into consideration other business expenses, such as Etsy, Paypal, credit card processing fees? What about business taxes? You have to claim your income on your taxes each year, so that takes a good chunk of the profit away too.

It may look like we are overcharging (like you say), but trust me, there are MANY hidden expenses to running a business.

All good questions and points. I don't exclusively sell pads, so I can see now how shops that do would charge more.

Just for my reference in thinking about this: I service my own machines, but I did just buy a new brother serger, so I should take that into account for my overhead costs. I get free shipping on my materials or buy in store, but I don't have the money to buy bulk so I calculate my costs based on retail or slightly less than retail (for sales) cost. I can make 4 pads an hour and with the little profit I make from diapers, making $6-8 an hour doesn't seem unreasonable, considering that I'm a SAHM that does this in my evening hours, not counting on this as a true income. My taxes are low because I don't make much and have a lot of business expenses to write off. I do have 3% paypal fees. The other fees are either the Etsy fees ($0.20 listing and 3%) or Hyena ($7.50 a month). The Etsy/Hyena debate is whole other post...

I do dye my own bamboo and would definitely charge more for those, considering that it takes quite a bit of time (several days process) and extra materials (dyes, shaving cream, soda ash etc).

And I can see the point about charging less too. Being competitive doesn't have to mean low balling the cost.

Thanks again for the advice. This is why I post here
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbevie View Post
All good questions and points. I don't exclusively sell pads, so I can see now how shops that do would charge more.

Just for my reference in thinking about this: I service my own machines, but I did just buy a new brother serger, so I should take that into account for my overhead costs. I get free shipping on my materials or buy in store, but I don't have the money to buy bulk so I calculate my costs based on retail or slightly less than retail (for sales) cost. I can make 4 pads an hour and with the little profit I make from diapers, making $6-8 an hour doesn't seem unreasonable, considering that I'm a SAHM that does this in my evening hours, not counting on this as a true income. My taxes are low because I don't make much and have a lot of business expenses to write off. I do have 3% paypal fees. The other fees are either the Etsy fees ($0.20 listing and 3%) or Hyena ($7.50 a month). The Etsy/Hyena debate is whole other post...

I do dye my own bamboo and would definitely charge more for those, considering that it takes quite a bit of time (several days process) and extra materials (dyes, shaving cream, soda ash etc).

And I can see the point about charging less too. Being competitive doesn't have to mean low balling the cost.

Thanks again for the advice. This is why I post here
Does your hourly estimate also include communications, listings, photography, advertising, etc.? Sometimes I found that the computer stuff actually took quite a bit of my time also.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everything that Denelle and Kristin have said. There are so many things to consider. I receive many, many emails every day that need to be replied to and pictures taken, editing pictures, listings and advertising actually take me longer then sewing now (I've gotten pretty quick).

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote