Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OMGOSH WHAT HAVE WE DONE????

OK, we bought this house. (New job, out of state.) We moved in... and I feel out of control. Yes, I am 10 days postpartum. BUT.

The house is big, and suddenly it is full of stuff. Like... FULL. I worked so hard to declutter, but there is clutter everywhere! ??????

I guess I lost a LOT of storage. BIgger house, less storage. So now... I have stuff, not put away-able, sitting everywhere. And it is making me insane.

I want my old house back just because everything had a 'place'. Now I feel like I'm going to have to spend a lot of $ just buying storage furniture... and I have no $ right now at all.

Am I just being a baby? Do I declutter more? IDK. I decluttered a LOT and even though I can do more, I did get pretty minimal while packing.

Basically, I have a new house I hate, stuff everywhere, and I can't do anythng about it atm because I am supposed to be resting and recovering.

I wish I had $ to hire a professional organizer.

I want to start our homeschool lessons in another week, but I hate doing it amidst all the chaos.

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMGOSH WHAT HAVE WE DONE????

In a week or so, your hormones will level out and while you may still dislike the house and not have enough storage, you will be able to think it through better. Postpartum is no time to rationally think things through.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have to say that at 10 days post partum, I have a serious fit about the state of the house. Without fail, some time about a week after coming home, I flip out over the mess and clutter, with tears and screaming and everything.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was there last year at this time. NB new house new state. Its not fun!!!!

It will be a process and what we did is we made a list and prioritized. We set a realistic schedule and time frame to get what we needed. It was good bc it was well thought out, we got what we wanted, and it was easy on money bc we did not do it all at once. One room or area at a time.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heck, I'm feeling this way about our house, and we've lived here for almost 3 years. And I majorly decluttered before baby arrived. I'm two weeks postpartum and our house is driving me nuts! I had such a nice routine going, too, and I feel like I can't keep up with even the most basic housework.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
earlgrey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HUGS! I'm going through this now.. except we moved when the babe was 2.5 months.. I have boxes and boxes just sitting in the garage full of crap. I'm thinking of just getting rid of most of it.

Having the rule - have I used this item in the last 6 months? If no donate or sell!! I feel so overwhelmed even going down there though. We've been in our new house for 3 weeks and there are still boxes in the house everywhere.

Good luck hun!
earlgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We moved in July & have less storage IMO. We have an attic & basement but the basement is dampish & the attic is so danggone hot I am concerned to use those spaces. I miss my media closet and my kitchen table being in the kitchen. Just taking time to get used to it. I do love the house but it doesn't feel like home yet.

OP, try to declutter more plus give it time. We loved when I was 5 wks pp & I was a mess.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

I imagine some of it is your hormones.

Maybe when you are feeling up to it, you could take some pictures of your new house and we might be able to come up with some inexpensive creative storage solutions?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi, wordbox, from due date! The transition from 1-2 was killer for me. Crazy.

I know I need to chill, but it is really hard. Dh just hung a bookshelf and he is going to kill me, but he has to move it b/c I changed my mind on where to put it. Me changing my mind is his ultimate pet peeve.

I need a laundry system- nothing is working.

I need bookshelves in the playroom/ schoolroom.

I need more pantry space.

I need help.

And my mom was coming to visit and I thought great she will help me with the house. But now my sister and her 2 kids are coming also, so instead of my mom helping me, it's going to be my mom and my 2 sisters (1 lives here) sightseeing while I say, no, I'm going to stay home. I feel selfish, but I just gave birth and my mom's visit was supposed to be about... well... ME. Now it's going to be a flipping family reunion.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And thanks to everyone for the support. I do feel pretty alone. I had one close friend here and she just moved away. My sister just started a new job. And I pretty much know no one else.