Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler nursing almost as much as a newborn...argghh!

It's driving me nuts. She nurses and nurses. It's driving me so crazy that I've thought about weaning her. I really don't want to b/c she's my last baby and I was hoping to go until 2.5-3 yrs old (she's 14 months now).

It's just so irratating much of the time. Plus, we co-sleep, and if I don't nurse her to sleep and whines and cries, that I usually give in. Last night she nursed for about an hour and I finally had to stop her. She whined for awhile and then tossed and turned (literally) all over the bed. I patted her back and "shhhh'ed" her to sleep.

I vaguely remember my other kids doing this, some maybe more than others, but I weaned the boys around 16-18 months and my oldest dd was weaned about 27 months. Oldest dd was a lot like youngest dd from what I remember, but not as bad.

Any btdt? Hugs? Assurances? I really don't have anyone irl to vent to about this, they'd tell me to wean and put her in her OWN bed...not sure that I'm ready for that yet (I know she's not).

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddler nursing almost as much as a newborn...argghh!

*Hugs*

I don't have any advice, my LO is almost 21 months and yesterday was a mess for me and the nursing down. She's always and only (pretty much) fallen asleep nursing (naps and night) except for the 1 or 2 occasions when my mom rocked her to sleep (standing up) since I was sick and sleeping. For her nap she would not fall asleep enough to unlatch and since I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant I was about to throw in the towel (but I'm committed to going to at least 2 years). She ended up fighting the nap and decided to skip it and go play (she was super tired though but I wasn't going to fight it).

Nighttime was a nightmare, I had her latched for what felt like the longest time and finally got her to unlatch and of course as soon as I left the room (or started to) she started crying. By that point I tried to just rub her back but she rolled around and was really mad. She just moved into her own room (with her older sister... bunk beds) about 2 weeks ago and she was all good and doing well with the going down for bed until recently (I chalk it up to it being hot weather) and I had to get up with her and rock/stand sway her until she was almost out. When I went to lay her back I told her 5 minutes (but it turned into 10 minutes) but after the 10 she was out and I was able to be "free".

If I wasn't pregnant we would still be bed sharing but now I'm finally starting to sleep better, the 4-5 hours I get of no nursing interrupted sleep helps and if/when she wakes up (usually no earlier than 4:30am when I have to get up to use the bathroom anyway) I go in there and end up falling back asleep until the morning. Right before I transitioned her we were doing the nighttime weaning 3-4 day night thing (can't think of the name) and it had worked out well, I didn't have the waking up before "allowed" time to work with her on the going back to sleep on her own but I know she can... this morning around 5:30am she cried a little bit (enough that would normally take me to wake up and crawl into bed with her) but instead I woke up and waited in the hall and she went back to sleep until 7:30am.

Sorry for the long response You're not alone mama She was supposed to be our last baby too, which is a big reason why I'm committed to the 2-years and why she's always bed-shared (until recently). Sometimes I wish hubby could take over the putting her to bed but I know she's probably not ready to not be nursing to sleep and if she was fine, I don't think I would be.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My son is almost 22 months and this is him. I hope it gets better! My 4 yr old still nurses once a day and she was never like this.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I am in this exact same spot with my daughter right now. She is the same age as your LO and is also most likely our last baby (btw, I think maybe we were in the same DDC??? ) I think sometimes she nurses MORE now than she did as a newborn. It's so hard. Things started out great with sleep but around 5-6 months they sort of went downhill. She stopped sucking on her fingers, which she had been using to soothe herself and to help her fall asleep. Now she will only fall asleep either nursing or in the car. It was the same with my DS who is now 4. For us, it was impossible to change his routine while co-sleeping but at the same time, I could not get him to sleep by himself in his own bed either. I ended up nursing and co-sleeping until he was 2 and then we stopped both (well, sort of... he still climbs in bed with us early in the morning ) It was really frustrating at the time. What helps me cope, which might sound sort of silly, is to NOT look at the clock at all during the night. I never even know how many times I woke up or how long of a stretch she is sleeping. When I did know, it just drove me crazy and I felt really overwhelmed. I think I'm going to get a twin mattress to put on the floor in her room and take her crib out (which hasn't really been used in 8 months anyway ) and super-duper baby proof her room, put a gate at the door, and try to transition her into her own bed for at least part of the night. And then when she wakes up I can get in bed with her, get her back to sleep, and try to sneak away (or if needed, stay there with her). As PP said, you're not alone. Sorry I don't have any good advice but I hope things get better for you!!!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Double post -- sorry

Last edited by justineybean; 08-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's good to be able to vent and know other's are in the same spot. Justineybean, Yes, I think we were in the same DDC!

I am thinking about putting a single mattress on our floor and hopefully it will help. It may not either, but it would be a start!
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Same boat here. Perhaps she teething? 23 month old DD nurses all night long when she's teething, and that's with ibuprofen. She would wake up screaming and refuse to sleep if I didn't give her a pain reliever.

My DD nurses when she's tired, hungry, or gets hurt. I relate it to a big bag of chips in the pantry.
Hmmmm, I'm hungry. What's to eat? Chips!
I'm bored. Chips!
Ow! I stubbed my toe. Chips will make it feel better.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie
Same boat here. Perhaps she teething? 23 month old DD nurses all night long when she's teething, and that's with ibuprofen. She would wake up screaming and refuse to sleep if I didn't give her a pain reliever.

My DD nurses when she's tired, hungry, or gets hurt. I relate it to a big bag of chips in the pantry.
Hmmmm, I'm hungry. What's to eat? Chips!
I'm bored. Chips!
Ow! I stubbed my toe. Chips will make it feel better.
Lol this is true for sure!! I definitely have used nursing as comfort since the beginning. I read somewhere or someone told me once that co-sleeping while nursing is like living next door to an all night buffet. Babies just can't help themselves since it's there. Hehe
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids
It's driving me nuts. She nurses and nurses. It's driving me so crazy that I've thought about weaning her. I really don't want to b/c she's my last baby and I was hoping to go until 2.5-3 yrs old (she's 14 months now).

It's just so irratating much of the time. Plus, we co-sleep, and if I don't nurse her to sleep and whines and cries, that I usually give in. Last night she nursed for about an hour and I finally had to stop her. She whined for awhile and then tossed and turned (literally) all over the bed. I patted her back and "shhhh'ed" her to sleep.

I vaguely remember my other kids doing this, some maybe more than others, but I weaned the boys around 16-18 months and my oldest dd was weaned about 27 months. Oldest dd was a lot like youngest dd from what I remember, but not as bad.

Any btdt? Hugs? Assurances? I really don't have anyone irl to vent to about this, they'd tell me to wean and put her in her OWN bed...not sure that I'm ready for that yet (I know she's not).
I'm in the same boat! My dd is almost 1 year and she is attached to the boob! I don't sleep well, BF'ing always makes my skin/hair/nails yucky do I'm feeling all over warn out! GL mama!
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
JayJaysMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My LO did this until he self weaned!
I hope all gets better mama.
HUGS!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SunshineJoiYT
http://hyenacart.com/stores/SunshineClothDiapers/
JayJaysMama is offline   Reply With Quote