Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:
Question Vegan mommy question, pls look!!

Hello mamas,
My son won't eat meat at all, even if I hide it in other things and I'm wondering what the best way is to get some protein into his little butt other than force-feeding meat??

He'll eat some beans and some eggs, but that's it! He mostly lives on pasta, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

I appreciate you sharing how you get your protein into your diet, since I'm totally clueless!!

Advertisement

SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
onelil2lil3lilpiglets
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan mommy question, pls look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama View Post
Hello mamas,
My son won't eat meat at all, even if I hide it in other things and I'm wondering what the best way is to get some protein into his little butt other than force-feeding meat??

He'll eat some beans and some eggs, but that's it! He mostly lives on pasta, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

I appreciate you sharing how you get your protein into your diet, since I'm totally clueless!!

ours has been doing that for a while, which i thought was funny since we do eat meat in our household and brings up the question of whether being a vegitarian is a choice or not (hehehe, but that's a different thread!) but i'd be interested in knowing the answer to that question too!! he will literally take the meat of of a cheesburger and eat the lettuce, tomato, bread and cheese
onelil2lil3lilpiglets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are vegetarians here and my 2 1/2 yr old dd loves beans and rice so it's easy with her. She usually eats a hard boiled egg for breakfast with toast and nut-butter (peanut or almond) then for lunch or dinner bean and cheese quesidillas on whole wheat tortillas, burritos, or tofu or beans added to soups or other dishes. You could make a yummy pate out of beans, veggies and spices for spreading or dipping.

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelil2lil3lilpiglets View Post

ours has been doing that for a while, which i thought was funny since we do eat meat in our household and brings up the question of whether being a vegitarian is a choice or not (hehehe, but that's a different thread!) but i'd be interested in knowing the answer to that question too!! he will literally take the meat of of a cheesburger and eat the lettuce, tomato, bread and cheese
We wonder that too, he seems to be a natural vegetarian and its amazing to watch his resolve in picking out any meat from his food.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2iliana View Post
We are vegetarians here and my 2 1/2 yr old dd loves beans and rice so it's easy with her. She usually eats a hard boiled egg for breakfast with toast and nut-butter (peanut or almond) then for lunch or dinner bean and cheese quesidillas on whole wheat tortillas, burritos, or tofu or beans added to soups or other dishes. You could make a yummy pate out of beans, veggies and spices for spreading or dipping.
Thanks! Any specific beans to add? Just anything? And do they have tofu in the 'regular' grocery stores?
Riley won't eat rice, but he loves cheese so I bet some bean and cheese quesadillas would go over really well with him!!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was a vegetarian in a family that was not growing up. I decided I wanted to be one at 12ish and kept it up until I was pg with DD at 19. My mom bought me boca burgers and boca crumbles (both protein and dh ate one of my boca burgers once and thought it was the real thing) for protein. Also, there is a pasta now (I believe called Deerfield pasta, but am not sure about that name) that has more protein per serving than a serving of chicken, so that might be something to look into if he doesn't like the protein crumbles or the protein patties. There are lots of choices in the frozen vegetarian food section for protein and the bags of crumbles come in pkgs that are the equivalent of 1 lb of ground beef in cooking recipes. HTH
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Thank you Christina! I'll look for those at the store!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
bethhill104
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think tofu (which is in regular grocery stores ) , beans, and any boca burgers (or other non-meat equivalent, there are so many choices!) are great options for a veggie baby!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DD is the same way nut we only really eat Chicken in our house. DH will occasionally eat beef but VERY rarely.

Will he eat Hummus? I find it's one of DD's staples and is all Chick peas so it's great protein wise.

There are so many great veggie "meats" now too like the PP said with the Boca etc.

We add the veggie ground beef to our pasta sauce and DD will eat it with her pasta she LOVES it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry so much about the protein. We, even vegans, get plenty of protein in our diets...(if not too much)...
One egg a day provides enough protein for a toddler/preschooler...

We're more concerned about iron, omega 3, Bvitamins, but there's lots of enriched foods that provide that...

Almond butter is great on toast/crackers or as a dip for apples/carrots. It's also good source of calcium/iron too.

You can mash beans to make a paste (add a little cumin-like refried beans) and use that as a fun dip too.

Don't worry too much...Good luck
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote