Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #11
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan mommy question, pls look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama View Post
Thank you Christina! I'll look for those at the store!
YW. BTW, the pasta is very yummy, so that is something everyone would probably enjoy. Everyone in my house does and we all eat meat. . .

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks! Any specific beans to add? Just anything? And do they have tofu in the 'regular' grocery stores?
Riley won't eat rice, but he loves cheese so I bet some bean and cheese quesadillas would go over really well with him!!
My dd likes some beans some days others other days. Her favorites are white beans since they are really soft (canalini ?), red beans and black beans either whole or mashed. She used to like the veggie meat-like products but now she won't eat them since she is really picky about the texture of things.

As a previous poster mentioned, I wouldn't be too worried as much about protien since it is in small amounts in many foods. I was a vegan for many years and I felt very healthy and energetic.

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
onelil2lil3lilpiglets
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We wonder that too, he seems to be a natural vegetarian and its amazing to watch his resolve in picking out any meat from his food.
i made a hamburger helper one night and he literally sat there for 10min making a stack of meat on the side of his plate and ate the noodles out it was pretty darn cute!!

thanx for the suggestions ladies!! keep em comming!!
onelil2lil3lilpiglets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelil2lil3lilpiglets View Post
i made a hamburger helper one night and he literally sat there for 10min making a stack of meat on the side of his plate and ate the noodles out it was pretty darn cute!!

thanx for the suggestions ladies!! keep em comming!!
I have BTDT. Some of those hamburger helper meals are tasty enough to go to the trouble IMO. . .
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!! It looks like we need to plan a trip to the grocery store!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
Skye5000us
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't forget about you dark green veggies too. They are full of good stuff. Don't panic too bad about protien. I have been a veg all of my life and was a really picky eater as a child. I think I ate pasta everyday...lol If you are that worried you can do a multi-vitamin also...that's what my mother did. My dr always says make sure your plate has a rainbow of colors and you'll be fine (he's a veg too )

Skye5000us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't dealt with a vegetarian little one yet, but I'm vegetarian, so don't plan on cooking meat for her
Something little to add about protein, when I became vegetarian and started looking into everything and then read up on being vegetarian while pregnant, it became really clear that we live in a society that typically consumes a large amount of protein and much more than we actually NEED. I read how much protein you need when pregnant and just about had a fit because I wouldn't know how to get that much! Then I read some WHO numbers and some more vegetarian centred stuff and the numbers that are quoted are quite high in North America because of what people eat.
So if your little guy isn't getting as much protein as a meant and potatoes diet, it isn't necessarily a problem. Especially if he's sticking with being vegetarian and not vegan (who don't eat dairy or eggs either), then it shouldn't be too bad.
The good news is, if it is going to be an ongoing refusal to eat meat, now is a great time to introduce the different textures of vegetarian protein foods!
Good luck
Lauren
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It makes me so happy that there are so many natural vegetarian kids out there. I was one, too, and we always had a vegetarian dish at dinner, and they usually put the meat on the side for me.

Soybeans, garbanzos, and lentils are the beans with the most protein, but all beans will do. We make our own hummus and give it different flavors and ds loves it as a great dip for chips, veggies, on a sandwhich, etc. We also make our own veggie burgers by mixing rice and beans with shredded up potatoes and sometimes ground up nuts, then fried in a little oil (It's more like a hash brown with hidden goodies in it.) We also make nut burgers with lots of different nuts ground up. If you do cheese, they will stick together even better.

If you're doing diary and eggs, protein and b vitamins are not a concern at all. Cottage cheese has the most protein, and one egg has more than enough for a kid, although eggs do have cholesterol, too. All animal products have b vitamins.

We're vegan and we put nutritional yeast on our food for b12. For iron and calcium, we eat lots of greens, dried fruits (especially raisins), and molasses. We blend up walnuts in our smoothies for omega fatty acids.

We also really love Vitamineral Green, it tastes good on food or in smoothies, and is a reassurance of getting lots of nutrients from greens and more, as well as keeping the body clean. HTH!

Last edited by MamaLove; 05-07-2007 at 01:07 PM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #19
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
I haven't dealt with a vegetarian little one yet, but I'm vegetarian, so don't plan on cooking meat for her
Something little to add about protein, when I became vegetarian and started looking into everything and then read up on being vegetarian while pregnant, it became really clear that we live in a society that typically consumes a large amount of protein and much more than we actually NEED. I read how much protein you need when pregnant and just about had a fit because I wouldn't know how to get that much! Then I read some WHO numbers and some more vegetarian centred stuff and the numbers that are quoted are quite high in North America because of what people eat.
So if your little guy isn't getting as much protein as a meant and potatoes diet, it isn't necessarily a problem. Especially if he's sticking with being vegetarian and not vegan (who don't eat dairy or eggs either), then it shouldn't be too bad.
The good news is, if it is going to be an ongoing refusal to eat meat, now is a great time to introduce the different textures of vegetarian protein foods!
Good luck
Lauren
Thanks Lauren,
I'm only just beginning my research on this topic and didn't realize that vegan and vegetarian were different! He'll eat eggs and diary without issue but maybe the texture or taste of meat is a turn-off to him.
I think we'll try to incorporate some other sources of protein (like beans, etc) because he doesn't eat many of those either!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would also do protein shakes when I was vegetarian as well. Mix it with milk and there are chocolate and vanilla flavoured ones. . .