Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Post office insurance question

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A QUESTION OF WHO IS AT FAULT, THIS WAS A GIFT AND I AM JUST TRYING TO GET THIS RESOLVED

Has anyone dealt with filing a claim on a damaged package? I sent a serger to a mama on here and I packed it in foam at the post office and bought insurance ($300.00) and paid extra for priority. Well it got there a day later and the box was very badly damaged. When she took the serger out the timing is off (but repairable I think). So she is going to file ,how does it work will they reimburse for repairs or do they prorate damage? Does the item have to be destroyed before they will pay? How long does it usually take to pay out? Any advice would be helpful. thanks

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:
You have to file the claim not her since you are the one who paid for insurance but beyond that.. No clue
Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post office insurance question

She is doing it online and if I need to go to my po I will. I have the insurance receipt so I guess I will have to show it to them.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Initially, my thought was, as PP said, insurance is for the seller's benefit because if something gets damaged or lost the buyer would want some sort of compensation and this is your way of being able to provide that for her... BUT, I just visited the PO site about filing claims (https://www.usps.com/ship/file-insurance-claims.htm) and they make it sound like insurance claims would be filed once a damaged item arrives to you (as in, the buyer would do the claim). I would definitely contact your PO and see what they say... then update us. I'm curious to know. I have bought insurance many times but never had to file a claim. Good thing you purchased it! Hope you can get it all resolved. Maybe some other mamas will have more helpful insight.

Last edited by justineybean; 08-15-2012 at 02:34 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I've had to file a claim before - twice in my life, once as sender and once as recipient - so I can speak from experience.

Either the buyer or the seller can file the claim. But they must present

- proof of insurance (in my case, I had a printout of the paypal page that showed the tracking number and the insured amount).
- evidence of value (in the case of a total loss) - in my case I printed a website showing the current price of the item brand new, although mine was used, and made a "best guess" at its value based on the condition. It was a smartphone whose screen was damaged, and I filed a claim for the entire amount insured ($100) and the post office paid out $87. They kept the phone obviously. Not bad.
- if it's reparable damage, you need to get a written estimate of the repair costs and attach it
- you need to present the item itself along with all packaging. This is the tricky (and nerve-wracking) part. The post office can always deny your claim based on lack of proper packaging.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
I've had to file a claim before - twice in my life, once as sender and once as recipient - so I can speak from experience.

Either the buyer or the seller can file the claim. But they must present

- proof of insurance (in my case, I had a printout of the paypal page that showed the tracking number and the insured amount).
- evidence of value (in the case of a total loss) - in my case I printed a website showing the current price of the item brand new, although mine was used, and made a "best guess" at its value based on the condition. It was a smartphone whose screen was damaged, and I filed a claim for the entire amount insured ($100) and the post office paid out $87. They kept the phone obviously. Not bad.
- if it's reparable damage, you need to get a written estimate of the repair costs and attach it
- you need to present the item itself along with all packaging. This is the tricky (and nerve-wracking) part. The post office can always deny your claim based on lack of proper packaging.
Thanks this is great info. We have all that information so that is no problem but the packing is nerve wracking, I bought foam and bubble wrap just for this package and the po lady where I am said it was good but I guess it only matters what the po over there thinks. It is unbelievable that you could do everything right and then have them decide it wasn't packed correctly when the other PO SAID TO DO IT THAT WAY!! Uggg I just feel terrible this was supposed to be such a wonderful gift and now it is just adding more stress. Any other package it would have been ok to deal with just not this one
Old 08-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Thanks this is great info. We have all that information so that is no problem but the packing is nerve wracking, I bought foam and bubble wrap just for this package and the po lady where I am said it was good but I guess it only matters what the po over there thinks. It is unbelievable that you could do everything right and then have them decide it wasn't packed correctly when the other PO SAID TO DO IT THAT WAY!! Uggg I just feel terrible this was supposed to be such a wonderful gift and now it is just adding more stress. Any other package it would have been ok to deal with just not this one
I totally feel for you. It's very stressful waiting for a claim to be answered.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you packed it in large bubble wrap AND foam, it should have been sufficiently protected. You might also want to present the box - the fact that is was badly damaged will definitely help your case.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote