Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: SO if you failed the 1 hour GTT

I got a 168 and I am hoping to get permission to test for ac couple of weeks instead of the 3 hour. The 1 hour test made me SOOO sick and I hate to have DH take a half day off for the test (no childcare) when his time off is very limited and I want him to save it to spend with our newborn.

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
I got a 168 and I am hoping to get permission to test for ac couple of weeks instead of the 3 hour. The 1 hour test made me SOOO sick and I hate to have DH take a half day off for the test (no childcare) when his time off is very limited and I want him to save it to spend with our newborn.
I would just ask them to call it and get the meter. Watch your fasting blood sugar and after each meal. It is not that hard to keep your numbers in check as long as you know how many carbs you can eat to keep them within range......it is not rocket science, it is carb counting
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Failed the 1hr with 142(!) and passed the 3hr with 111.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Failed the one hour with 144.

Passed the 3 hour no problem.......fasting was 82, 1 hour was 100, then it went down from there.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I failed the 1 hr with a score of 137 (cut off was 135), but I passed my 3 hr.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

My first pregnancy I failed the 1 hour by 20 points. I attempted the 3 hour, but after fasting, I was a really hard stick and could not complete it. They sent me to an outside lab and the same thing happened. I took the meter and the classes and went with it. I ended up with an induction 2 days before my due date because the baby "looked large". I had a c-section after not progressing for 14 hours. Baby was 7lbs 9oz... (hmmmph).

This pregnancy I was tested early, at 16 weeks and only missed the one hour by 3 points. I was pissed. I asked the MD if I could use my meter for the 3 hour instead of suffering through the blood draws. He refused. So I refused to take the 3 hour test. He told me to check my sugars 4X a day for the first month. I kept a good log. My sugars are fine. Now I only test randomly, like 1-2 times a day if I remember. (Usually the few days before an MD appt, and I am now on 2 week appointments). I'm having another c-section scheduled due to having a hernia, so no trying for a VBAC for me. So the glucose testing doesn't really bother me anymore....

The worst part about being a gestational diabetic are the NST's at the end of pregnancy. The last 6 weeks, I had one every week. They make my appointments over an hour long. I loved listening to the heart beat though, but my job hated that I missed so much time. Also, after the baby is born, they prick the heel to test the blood sugar 4-5X during the first 24 hrs just to make sure baby is not diabetic. As a new mom, it was awful to watch them do that!!

Last edited by Van1300; 08-18-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I failed the 1 hr with 143 (cutoff was 140) and the 3hr with 2 of the 4 numbers being 11 and 6 points too high, so very close. Fasting number was great, and levels were dropping, just not fast enough. One high reading in the 3 hr would have still passed, but with two I got the GD label.

I didn't have any issues because of it, and was easily controlled by diet, there was just a lot more monitoring from that point on. And sore fingers.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
kanga1622
Registered Users

They never told me my score with the 1 hour test. I passed every section of the 3 hour test with no problems. I wasn't even close.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to mention some of what VAN1300 said. Depending on your practice you may really want to avoid letting them "call it". The standard protocol for GD is to be followed by and Endocrinologist, see a nutritionist, and have MANY weeks of NSTs. This changes the classification of your pregnancy to a higher risk.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

At my practice as long as it can be controlled by diet alone (no meds) I can deliver at the birth center.

SO far my numbers are:

Day one:
Fasting 108 (bad)
2 hour after lunch 111 (good)
2 hour after dinner 148 (very bad)

Day 2
Fasting 110 (bad)
2 hour after lunch 115 (good)
2 hour after dinner 137 (very bad)

Day 3
Fasting 92 (good)
2 hour after lunch 106 (good)

So my after lunch readings are below 120 but everything else is pretty bad I guess.

Does anyone know what the criteria is for diagnosing GD? DO they all have to be high or just some or the majority or what?

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 08-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote