Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SO if you failed the 1 hour GTT - update in 20

I'm not positive about the criteria, but I've heard that it varies from practice to practice; that is one reason why some women don't like the current standards (there are none!).

Can you give a rundown on what you ate before those readings? The two hour tests do seem a bit high, but not too bad, imo. A little diet tweaking will probably help.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: SO if you failed the 1 hour GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
At my practice as long as it can be controlled by diet alone (no meds) I can deliver at the birth center.

SO far my numbers are:

Day one:
Fasting 108 (bad)
2 hour after lunch 111 (good)
2 hour after dinner 148 (very bad)

Day 2
Fasting 110 (bad)
2 hour after lunch 115 (good)
2 hour after dinner 137 (very bad)

Day 3
Fasting 92 (good)

So my after lunch readings are below 120 but everything else is pretty bad I guess.

Does anyone know what the criteria is for diagnosing GD? DO they all have to be high or just some or the majority or what?
Fasting numbers can't really be controlled by diet, so with them being that high, I'd be concerned.

My fasting number was supposed to be under 100 (but I think 94 was my highest). Also, the closer you get to 40 weeks, your numbers get higher and harder to control.

Try eating something high in protein at night to see if that helps with your fasting number. Have you been testing based on your current diet, or have you been eating more protein with and limiting carbs (mine was breakfast 30, snack 15, lunch 45, snack 15, dinner 45, snack 15)?

Last edited by *Hadassah*; 08-19-2012 at 08:02 AM.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Well the two dinner ones that are so high were we went out to mexican (dayy1) so I ate a ton of chips and cheese lol and last night (day 2) I had grilled cheese and tomato soup (36 carbs total)

The lunches were
Day one: Turkey sandwich with cheese, mustard and lettuce
Day 2: Tuna fish with dill pickle relish and mustard, 8 Ritz crackers and 1/2 cucumber
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #24
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: SO if you failed the 1 hour GTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hadassah* View Post
Fasting numbers can't really be controlled by diet, so with them being that high, I'd be concerned.

My fasting number was supposed to be under 100 (but I think 94 was my highest). Also, the closer you get to 40 weeks, your numbers get higher and harder to control.

Try eating something high in protein at night to see if that helps with your fasting number. Have you been testing based on your current diet, or have you been eating more protein with and limiting carbs (mine was breakfast 30, snack 15, lunch 45, snack 15, dinner 45, snack 15)?
A little of both. Day 1 I ate normally, Day 2 I counted carbs
Last night between dinner and bed I had a cup of almond milk, a rice cake and a string cheese. Last nights dinner was 36 carbs (bs 137)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I am a second time GD. I am supposed to keep my fasting under 90 and my 2 hour after meals under 120. I had to take Glyburide 2.5 at night to hey my fasting numbers down. Without it they run 100-110. My other numbers are diet controlled for now but last time by the end of my preg I was on the Glyburide 2 times a day. Your numbers tend to go up and become harder to control the farther along you get.

Your numbers would definitely suggest GD. Especially the fasting ones and the ones over 120. In someone without GD it does not matter what you eat you will be below 120 at 2 hours.
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Yesterday was 92, 106 and 106

This morning was 95
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Yesterday was 92, 106 and 106

This morning was 95
Those sound better. I hope they stay like that! What numbers do they want you under for fasting and 2 hours after meals?

That must be so much pressure on you that your birth center plans depend on this.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MUCH Better!

I had diet controlled GD. It is a bit of a learning curve. I think you will be fine with some diet tweaking.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #29
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hadassah* View Post
Those sound better. I hope they stay like that! What numbers do they want you under for fasting and 2 hours after meals?

That must be so much pressure on you that your birth center plans depend on this.
I'm not actually sure. I am waiting on the nurse to call me today with that info. Right now I am assuming 95 fasting and 120 after meals.

It is REALLY stressing me out to know that ONLY if I can control with diet can I birth at the birth center. I just want ONE normal pregnancy and normal birth and this is my last chance I was so worried about pre-e again that GD wasn't even on my radar. And now I know GD increases my risk of pre-e. SIGH.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Sylvie89
Registered Users
seller
seller

One of my friends has diabetes. If she eats bread or chips/crackers or really anything made from flour (wheat), her numbers go crazy. If she goes gluten-free, her numbers stay in check. I don't know if that would be different for GD, but it is fairly easy to just give it a try. Good luck to you - I hope you can get a handle on it. Looks like you are already making great progress.
Sylvie89 is offline   Reply With Quote