Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How can I prepare for a unplanned birth or my H20 breaking at home?

I am not super paranoid about this happening, but we DID just get new carpet in the entire house as well as a new (and wayyyy too expensive) mattress. I am guessing I will buy a waterproof (and maybe absorbent) mattress cover at the very least, but I am also guessing that my water is not likely to break in bed (IF it even breaks on it's own before labor). So for those of you who are veteran Mama's, Midwives, Doulas, and the like please give me any suggestions you may have. I am open to any info you can give.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I prepare for a unplanned birth or my H20 breaking at home?

If you figure it out let me know LOL!!!! Definalty get a matress pad and maybe put an extra fitted sheet on JIK. As for the carpet no idea-- i would probably just have DH rent a carpet cleaner machine.

I am super stressed about this very thing happening again this time around and being at home alone with the boys.

DS2 I went to my regular dr appointment and had a contraction in the hallway, leaned against a window and my water broke, he was born 10 min later. Guess all the cramps i had been having at work were actually contractions.

Last edited by Nerissa; 08-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oddly enough through 5 births, 4 at home, my water has never gotten on anything enough to ruin it. The first three my water didn't break until I was ready to push so I was already sitting on chux pads (actually with my second I was sitting on the toilet, that made cleanup easy!). With my last two my water started leaking when I was sleeping but it was only coming out a little bit at a time so a regular pad contained it. For birth I have a plastic mattress cover that goes under the sheets.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would base it off you last kids.
Where did your water break with them, and how was it?

I only had my water break before labor once, and it was a slow trickle. I was walking the mall and stopped, looked at my mom and said, either I peed on myself, I have major discharge, or my water is breaking. It was a slow leak.
The rest of my kids, the water burst during active labor in the hospital.

I'd get a mattress protector, and under your fitted sheet, you can place a chux. Maybe your ob or mw will give you some. My mw gave me a bunch from the office to have at home JIC my water broke in bed.

There is a manual for emergency home birth that in an email format.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definately a mattress protector, I got mine at target and it's really nice and high quality, you will want that after the baby comes anyway just in case of spit up or poopy accidents also lots of those chux pads for the carpets, and just have hydrogen peroxide on hand if anything leaks on the carpet. My water broke in our living room and I was havin some bleeding too then during the birth (we planned to have the baby at home) we got some mess on the floor. It looked terrible and we were sure the carpet would have to get pulled up, well th midwife said try peroxide and sure enough it all came out! We were very surprised. So for sure have a couple extra bottles of that on hand just in case
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My water broke with a huge gush in bed with DS1. I was only 36 weeks and it ruined our mattress because I hadn't put a cover on it yet. With Ds2, we had a waterproof mattress cover, and then our organic cotton one covered by a plastic shower curtain liner. Overkill, yes, but I wasn't taking any chances with our new $3000 mattress. My water did break first again, but it didn't happen in bed, and it wasn't a huge gush. I'll be lining our mattress again this time, too, at 34 weeks.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mattress protector: check. I am guessing chux are like doggie potty pads but for humans...LOL. I looked up how much fluid we have and found that somewhere around 30 ounces is a good average. I have some OBF here and was thinking about just laying it under the sheets on top of the mattress protector to absorb any liquids...we also have a toddler sleeping between us ATM. I am not so scared of my h20 breaking...I just don't want to ruin our (like I said) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive mattress. DP has back issues (from getting t-boned in an intersection...not his fault) and needed a super comfy/supportive mattress while undergoing therapy so we sucked-it-up and got one of those latex ones and I am riddled with guilt saying this, but...I am sorta glad we 'needed' it...it is soooooooooooooo comfy I haven't had an ache or pain since the morning after day 3 or 4 (took a few days to get used to it)...anyway, back on track. I am not going to go overboard with precautions, just do the cover and the OBF should do the trick! THanks to everyone who helped!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
auntievenom
Registered Users
seller

Vitamin C helps strengthen your bag of waters and reduces the chance of it breaking before active labor

With my 2nd my water broke at 39 weeks, starting a 6 hour labor. With my third, labor was three hours and water broke at crowning. That one I took my vitamin C a lot more regularly!
If I was homebirthing accidentally I would probably get in the bathtub and birth in there to catch any mess- although some births are surprisingly clean....
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My water broke at home with 2 of my 3 babies.

Around week 38 I put water proof pads under the fitted sheet of my bed (like 3 or 4 so that if I moved around I'd have coverage.

With DS2, I was sitting on the floor and leaned forward to get something and felt the "pop." With DS3 I was laying in bed when I felt the "pop."

Both times, I didn't get the "gush" until I stood up. And even with DS1, my water broke in the hospital bed, and the "gush" didn't happen until I moved (after I felt the "pop").

So.. just stash water proof pads around the house so that when you feel that "Pop" You can grab one and slip it under you right before you stand up. And then once you're up, after that initial gush, the baby's head will more than likely block your cervix and stop the gush, so that you'll just have slow leakage, and you can put a thick pad on.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes the position of the baby can also affect water breaking before labor. A posterior baby is more likely to have the "forewaters" break. If baby was pretty low, the head could block the majority of the water from leaking out, though. I know many women who have had their water break before labor with no contractions, then they find that their baby was posterior. So figuring out which way baby is facing might help Obviously this isn't only true with posterior babies, but it can be a factor.