Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Registered Users
Canning with Crown Jars??? Help Please

Does anyone know how to can with the old glass top Crown Jars? I have a bunch of them and I want to learn how to use them, but I can't seem to find any resources on how to do this.
Please help.... peaches and pears are just around the corner

add is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Canning with Crown Jars??? Help Please

There are non-reusable orange rubber rings that you have to use to seal the jars. You should measure the jars to find the exact diameter. I found some on Amazon. You can only use the rings once for canning, just like those one-use Mason jar lids.

I think the standard size is 2 3/4 inches. Don't get the kind for 'le parfait' - they're the wrong size. You can search for 'rubber canning rings' or 'rubber canning gaskets'.
je_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Canning with Crown Jars??? Help Please

You can get some rubber that are reusable if you can get the right size. The ones for tattler lids are reusable, but they fit standard regular mouth and wide mouth jars. So don't know if they would fit the older jars. I assume the processing time for your jars would be the same as the newer jars.
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote