Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Exercising while breastfeeding

I think I know the answer to this but had to throw it out there anyway. I am going to start exercising regularly (3-4 times a week) and reduce my caloric intake to about 2000 cal/day. Goal is to start shedding baby weight.

As long as I keep up my fluids by drinking lots of water, reducing my food intake and starting exercising shouldn't affect my milk supply, right?

My baby is 2 months old, EBF, weighs 16 lbs, and was 10 lbs at birth....so obviously gaining plenty right now.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
gemgirlred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exercising while breastfeeding

I cut back my calories to 1700 a day and started to workout around 10 weeks postpartum. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and I have not seen a decrease in my supply.
gemgirlred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think that sounds reasonable, i know i could always tell right away when my supply was dropping from not taking in enough fluids/calories. as long as you are watching for that i think you'll be fine. GL with the weight loss!
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

oh thanks for the responses, ladies! good to know. I've exercised before when breastfeeding, it was awhile ago...just was a fear in my head I had to get resolved. I am looking forward to slimming down! Running is a very effective way for me to lose weight, I'm going to get some new running shoes today and start soon.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Counting calories is way overrated imo. Maybe I'm biased because for years I ate 1500 calories a day and worked out 4 days a week and still GAINED weight. ugh.
If you focus on getting whole, nutritious foods and just add on exercise, you should see results. You definitely don't want to sacrifice your metabolism for the sake of losing weight, and nursing is a big strain on the adrenals and thyroid already, even without exercise/dietary restriction.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I am using the fitness pal app to track my eating. I am not "nickel and diming" my every calorie, but instead making close guesses and recording my intake to keep myself in check. I love food, bread, sugar and chocolate in particular....so tracking my intake is very helpful for me since it keeps me accountable. I do know that focusing on eating healthy "should" be enough as long as i am keeping up the exercise...but I know myself too well. I know I eat too much and tracking my intake is very helpful. I did it for a few months last year before i was pregnant and lost 25 lbs. I am just looking for reassurance that my milk supply won't be affected negatively.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
je_friend
Registered Users

I've exercised extensively while BFing- biked 12 miles to work every day when the kiddo was 3 months old - and didn't have a problem with supply. I didn't watch what I ate too carefully because I was HUNGRY all the time, but still lost all the weight.
je_friend is offline   Reply With Quote