Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you put your child in a front faceing car seat & size question

ds1 was 20 lbs (1.5? this was 12 years ago and dr told me i could, never heard of efr back then)

ds2 was 40 lbs/6.5 year when i turned him FF in my car. he was FF in his dad's car since almost age 4.

dd will be RF until she hits 45 lbs, probably age 7isg

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
crunch!910
Registered Users

turned FFing when he was 2yo and 32lbs in a Scenera in family member's car (rarely drives him anywhere)

turned FFing in a TrueFit in DH's car before baby's arrival. DS was a little over 2.5yrs old and 33lbs (Kia Rio - couldn't fit two carseats RFing because he's tall)

will be turned FFing after his 3rd birthday sometime before winter hits/whenever baby outgrows infant seat (currently RFing in a Graco MyRide at 34lbs, but passing down his convertible and putting him into a FFing Britax Frontier)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 was turned at 3yo. We had to switch to an extended rental car (my car had massive engine failure) and his seat would not fit in the rental RFing. I was so sad.

DS2 hopefully will last longer RFing. He is a peanut, so I think we should make it to at least 3.5 to 4yo in the seat we currently have.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
imjustjessa
Registered Users

DS1 is going to be 2 in October and is still RF. He's tiny though, so legally he has to be RF until he hits 22 pounds (he's just 20 now). He'll be turned FF once he outgrows the weight limit on his car seat.

DS2 is only 4 months old, so he's (obviously) still RF. He will also be RF until he outgrows the weight limit on his seat, as well.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Mine were RF'ing until they were 4.5 to 5.5 years old. Our seats only go to 35lbs RF'ing; we'd get a lot more mileage out of a 40lb seat.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS is almost 3 and still rf. He should have at least another year to rf.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You'll cringe when I tell you my older children forward faced at 7months and 9 months. Not only did I not know better the carseat we had wouldn't fit rearfacing in the vehicle we had. It was a 2 door with little backseat space. I tried climbing in to wedge it down. It simply wasn't going. It didn't occur to me to return it and get a different one. I just gave up and forward faced my daughter. This was around 13 years ago.

My youngest is now 14 months and still rearfacing. When we go looking for a car next spring weather our carseat will fit rearfacing will be a deciding factor in what vehicle we decide to get. Our plans are to rearface until baby out grows his seat. We have a diono with a weight limit of 45lbs. Since my boys tend to be on the shorter side I expect we should be able to use it until he is at least 4 years old and possibly 5 years old.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #28
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ERF'ing can be a small battle in our house. Dh is not entirely on board with it, but he lets me do it because he knows I'll win .

DS1 was 3.5. He has an October b-day and I wanted to get through one last winter with him rf'ing. Dh had a hissy fit over this. I won!

DD was 18 months. Not by my choice. Had a very small car (Honda Fit) and it was getting harder and harder to put her in (I was very pregnant at this point). She wanted to sit like her brother. Plus the babysitter refused to rf her. Luckily she did not drive around that often. I lost, but I didn't want to carry on the fight much longer. At least we got through one last winter.

DS2 will rf till at least 2.5 almost 3. I will try to get him to continue rf'ing through next winter.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #29
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

4.5 & 3 and 3 months. We turned them in June because according to our home scale, DS was ~42lbs, and since it wasn't very exact and he was close to the limit we turned him FFing. Since DD is older than him, we went ahead and turned her, too. Yes, she could have gone longer, but 4 & and half was well beyond what my initial goal was, so I'm comfortable with it. While most of her peers are transitioning to backless boosters, she's very safely securely FFing, and I'm cool with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

4 years old exactly and my just shy of 4yr old will likely stay erf this time. His seat goes to 40