Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #31
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When did you put your child in a front faceing car seat & size question

DS was 2. not quite 2.5 when we turned him FF. He was very tall and also close to the RF weight limit. DD is 2.5 and still RF as she is much smaller.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
blueswirl
Registered Users

Dd2 will stay rf until she outgrows her my ride. Didn't know better with dd1 and turned her at 14 mos.
blueswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #33
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

DD1 went FFing on her 4th birthday (she was about 35 lbs).

DD2 is still RFing at almost 3, and will remain until age 4.

Baby #3 is still in utero, so technically rides sideways and upside down. However, the mystery baby will ride RFing until age 4 as well.
momto2es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can someone post a pic of their child RF until 3 or 4 or more? I'm researching ERF now for my baby and can't imagine my 4 year old still RFing. I drive a small car and hubby drives a truck. I can't imagine ERFing in either. Maybe I'm missing something...?

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wish! The photo uploaded is messed up on DS right now
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Can someone post a pic of their child RF until 3 or 4 or more? I'm researching ERF now for my baby and can't imagine my 4 year old still RFing. I drive a small car and hubby drives a truck. I can't imagine ERFing in either. Maybe I'm missing something...?

What's the hard part to imagine? They just sit with their legs crossed (which is how my daughter sits now FFing) or hanging over the sides (whish she also does FFing). They have plenty of room IF you've got the right seat. We have Radians, and they've plenty of leg room for my kids. My 4.5 year old can most likely use this seat for another year or more height wise. She still has one more slot to go!
momto2es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #37
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2es

What's the hard part to imagine? They just sit with their legs crossed (which is how my daughter sits now FFing) or hanging over the sides (whish she also does FFing). They have plenty of room IF you've got the right seat. We have Radians, and they've plenty of leg room for my kids. My 4.5 year old can most likely use this seat for another year or more height wise. She still has one more slot to go!
Crossed..got it. I was envisioning their knees folded up into their chest like a squatting position. Crossed makes more sense.

Legs hanging over the side--is that one on each side, like an M kind of? Is that safe?

Do the kids get bored sitting backward? Can they see out of the windows?

Excuse my ignorance. Like I said, I'm just starting to research. I saw someone posted about the carseat website. Is that the best place for info?

WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #38
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Here ya go. My 3 1/2 year old RF in a radian.

ETA: he rf in my dad's truck as well with no problem

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers

Last edited by Fashionably Green Baby; 08-20-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #39
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are lots of kids on www.car-seat.org that RF to 3-4. You could probably cruise the siggies there and come up with a bunch of pics of older RFers.

My own DS RF'd to his 3rd birthday. He has spina bifida and wears braces on his legs, and he never complained of any discomfort. I only turned him because DH had had it and insisted.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #40
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Crossed..got it. I was envisioning their knees folded up into their chest like a squatting position. Crossed makes more sense.

Legs hanging over the side--is that one on each side, like an M kind of? Is that safe?

Do the kids get bored sitting backward? Can they see out of the windows?

Excuse my ignorance. Like I said, I'm just starting to research. I saw someone posted about the carseat website. Is that the best place for info?

No pics here, but DD is 38" & 33.5 lbs, 29.5 mos. She went from her Chicco Keyfit 30 @ 30" & maybe 24 lbs to a convertible. She flipped to FF in the sitter's car (Cosco Scenera) at about 34" & 32 lbs (20 mos-ish). I literally JUST (last night) flipped the Evenflo Triumph Advance FF in my Subaru Impreza...TBH, it had just gotten to be too big a PITA to install/remove the seat repeatedly if I need to have a passenger in my car . DD is still RFing in DP's Subaru Forester.

Like a PP, DD will brace her legs on the back of the seat, cross them, hang them over the sides, etc. As far as safety...ERF is really based on the idea that head/spinal safety is a priority over leg safety. The ladies on here are incredibly knowledgeable, & I'm sure that if there's a study about leg safety, they'll direct you...but I'm a sheep who thought "ERF =/= internal decapitation" & went with it.