Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #41
kanga1622
Registered Users

I don't post pics of DS but he is still rear facing at almost 30 months, 32 pounds, and 36 inches. Honestly, in his CA his feet didn't reach the seat back until a few months ago. Now he sits with them touching the back of the seat with his legs as far apart as possible. I know he will throw his legs over the sides when they get a lite bigger.

Since he's never been FF, he doesn't know any different and does not complain. On long trips I tend to sit in the back with him to keep him entertained as he drops toys over the edge and can't reach them (which would be an issue FF as well). Usually he sleeps in the car or watches out the rear window and tells us about the cars/trucks behind us.

My absolute minimum is 3 before turning DS forward but I'd rather get to 4. We are looking at new seats than could give him more growing room if he gets to 40 inches (the CA height limit) before I am ready to flip him.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #42
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When did you put your child in a front faceing car seat & size question

DS has a great view out the back and side windows. He tells me about all the things he sees as we go by. He can tell where we are if it's a familiar place. The props his legs up on the back of the seat or sits frogged. He would tell me if he was uncomfortable, he doesn't keep those kind of things to himself .

As far as leg injuries, there are no documented cases of broken legs because of rear facing. Broken legs are one of the most common injuries to forward facers though. In a frontal collision (the most common) everything is going to fly toward the front of the vehicle (point of impact). In most cases, that means that the knees of the rear facer are going to be thrown up and back toward the torso which will not cause injury to them. It is very well illustrated in this video: . For the forward facing child, their legs will be thrown forward, potentially striking the seat in front of them and their head will be thrown forward as well which is why it's so important to tether a forward facing seat as well as tighten the straps properly so the child's head does not strike the seat in front of them.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #43
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

My oldest is 3 1/2 and I am probably going to wait until he's 4.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
lguillory
Registered Users

I never realized how long most people keep their children rear facing. This was great information; it looks my LO will be staying rear facing a bit longer
lguillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #45
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lguillory View Post
I never realized how long most people keep their children rear facing. This was great information; it looks my LO will be staying rear facing a bit longer
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #46
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

Mine will be 4 in 2 weeks and is still rear facing with lots of room to grow.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My just shy of 4 year old son

Last edited by keen1981; 10-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #48
Leighmpalmer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for asking this question, and for all the responses. I ave been wanting to turn my daughter around all week and I do know better. I will keep her Rfing as long as I can!
Leighmpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #49
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I turned my DS ff a few months ago, and I have been wondering if that was the right decision... Mainly did it so my niece could fit her nautilus in to ride somewhere with us and never moved it back. I am glad I happened on this thread, and I have a strong feeling that I will turn him back rf for a while longer when I clean out the van tomorrow.
He likes rf and has never complained. He is in a radian xtsl as is my 17 month old DS. . Need to weigh him to make sure he is still in range for rf I guesS...
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #50
VaBigMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of mine were turned around at one, if not before. I have really tall kids and their knees were pushing up towards their faces making it absolutely unsafe. Had they not been tall I wouldn't probably just waited until they got too tall since I think rear facing really is safer.
VaBigMama is offline   Reply With Quote