Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shoulder dystocia = c-section now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
The shoulder dystocia had more to do with being flat in bed with an epidural than your ability to get baby out. You only have average sized babies...they all have gotten out. A shoulder dystocia is far more often a position issue than a size issue.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I just don't even know anymore. No matter what I choose to do, it'll be the wrong choice. I hate this.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
I just don't even know anymore. No matter what I choose to do, it'll be the wrong choice. I hate this.
((hugs))

Oh Mama. :-)

I dont know if it helps or not, but I got the same "shoulder dystocia" lecture with my first baby. I declined and elective cs, was induced, and ended up with a cs for maternal exhaustion. Baby was 10lbs, 12oz. Then baby #2 was an unmedicated vaginal birth. 9lbs 15oz. Shadows out like superman and almost hit the floor.

And you know what? Now that I'm a year and a half out from my "empowering vbac"... I don't care. :-). I'm just so happy to have these kids and I don't even care how they got here. I cared at the time. But now I'm just so in love with them that I'd go through anything it would take to have them or future kids.

I was so terrified to have a cs with my first, and it was really scary when it did happen. The best thing you can do is gather as much reliable info as possible (and a group of women on the Internet are good foe support, but not necessarily great for reliable info), choose the option you have the most peace about, figure out what practical things will help you feel safe and supported, and communicate with your doctor and support team. :-).

Don't let a bunch of opinions on DS sway you. :-) YOU have to make this decision and live with the outcome. None of us do.

((hugs))
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
The problem is, it's not that it will be the wrong choice no matter what....it's really that there is no one right choice. There's only the best educated guess.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well, I am going to go against the grain a smidge here.

You have a history of babies getting bigger. You have a history of labor being difficult. You have a history of of at least one baby betting stuck. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to consider that a vaginal delivery might potentially carry a few more risks for you this time around than the average mama. I am not a doc, I do not have experience with thousands of births, only my own 3 very non complicated births.

The thing is, no one else here is a doc either. There are very few if any women on this board who have the experience and training your doc does with having babies. Which means that the person most likely to have accurate knowledge of the risks involved is likely your doc, and not us on a message board.

That DOES NOT mean that I am IN ANY WAY suggesting you blindly follow your doc. Do your own research. Look up real medical information and statistics. It could be that there may be increased risks for you but that the increases are wrong. It could be your doc is right. It could be just a 50/50 crap shoot and your risks are equal. In the end, no one, not us not your doc not you, no one can truly predict how it will go, and it's really difficult to know that you are making the right choice or not.
Doctors can and do lie to get what they want. My OB with my second lied to me. His insistence on a c section almost cost my son his life.

I was a translater for a woman desiring a vbac. Her incision was suspected to be the old style so vertical. Doctors and nurses alike kept telling me to tell her she and baby would without question die without an immediate c-section. Not only didn't she get the section neither she nor baby died nor suffered complications. The birth went smoothly. It was pretty much a by the book birth. Funny despite all there knowledge and advanced schooling they couldn't even give answers to the simplest questions such as, what exactly the risks were. They couldn't even give ball park figures such as around 80%. according to them it was never done so no stats existed.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #26
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you ever asked your doctor to assess the shape of your pelvis? Some pelvis shapes are more pronto dystocia and benefit from different positions than most other women find helpful. My friend was told that her pelvis would be more prone to dystocia. Her first son was held back on her pubic bone for a but but eventually came out with a LOT of hard pushing from mama. Then baby #2 was bigger and was very stuck. Midwife had her do the all-4s, no change, flipped her back over. Nothing. Eventually she actually climbed onto the bed with her and reached up inside mom with both hands to free baby with the corkscrew technique. Lots of drama and lots of pelvic floor damage to Mom. She has shared the same feeling of disappointment that her body can't just let baby out without the drama. :-(

It's no ones fault, and you've already done the hard heroic work of birthing two babies. And however this baby is born, YOU are a wonderful mom and the birth is a brief moment in time. It's an important moment for sure, but not rhe only moment by which your mothering is measured.

((hugs))
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 1st (8lb 4oz, 41 weeks, went on own) had shoulder distocia. Vaginal birth needed o2 causes she come out blue. Fine after a few moments. 2nd (9lb 5oz, 40 weeks 4 days, went in own) also shoulder distocia. Also vaginal birth, also need o2 for moments. 3rd went in at 39 weeks to try to avoid shoulder distocia. Went in on a Thursday did not have him till Saturday. Tried foley bulb, did not do much. Tried Cervidil, again not much. Tried poticen all day and not much. Had ultrasound Saturday morning found he was stuck on my my pubic bone. Had a c section Saturday after ultrasound. I would of ended up with a emergency c, his shoulders were 4 inches bigger than my other 2.
I did not have ultrasounds throughout any of my pregnancies.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just had a c section on Monday because my last son had double shoulder dystocia, it was recommended during his delivery that if I chose to have more children that it should be by c section. Ultimately it was my choice to do the c section just because I labor extremely fast and the concern was that I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time and that is not the kind of delivery you want to make without medical care. In any case, this child was the smallest of my 3 and they were estimating that he would be larger. Ds 2 was 8.8 and Ds 3 was 7.4. I say just do what makes you most comfortable, if you feel that vaginal is the right thing for you then you should go with your gut. Best of luck!!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Doctors can and do lie to get what they want.
Sure, they can and do....but most...don't. And, most don't want to do a C-section either. Most health care professionals really do their best to do what they believe is best for their patients. There are more good docs than bad. Just like there are more good cops than bad cops and just like there are more good teachers than bad teachers, etc etc.

There are LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of docs out there all over the country. So, even when you consider that most docs are good docs who don't lie, it does of course still leave plenty of them who aren't so great and will lie. But that doesn't change the fact that just by default of sheer numbers, the average person is more likely to get a good doc than a bad one.

Some docs will lie. Most won't. If the OP believes her doc is lying to her she needs to find a different one. But if she doesn't think he's deliberately lying to her, then what she really needs to do is do the real research on her own risks with her own history and discuss it with her doc, so the two people who are most knowledgeable about her birthing situations are the ones making the best guess.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #30
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I appreciate all of the comments, stories, and thoughts. I actually AM planning on discussing this at length with my OB in subsequent visits (hard to do when you have 10 minutes before they're rushing back out the door to another patient though, sigh). I'm not taking a poll to see what I should do. I just wanted to hear stories of other mamas that might have some experience with this situation.

Reading that back, it sounds abrasive but it wasn't meant that way. I'm too lazy to reword it all though right now.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote