Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Going to have surgery and need to supplement..please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MamaMayhem~ View Post
I called them back and my information was incorrect. They want me to pump my first time and dump it and then she can nurse. Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think I may do the soy although I really don't like the idea of using formula. Do I need to add vitamins if she is only drinking it until early afternoon?

Almost all typos provided care of my iPhones stupid auto correct
Goat's milk lacks vit B and enough fatm hence why you have to add vit, molassas, and fish oil. So even just one bottle will need those. If baby is over 6 months you can skip molasses if feeding solids.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

C Section mamas nurse premature babies. I looked it up on Hale's, I had knee surgery and mouth surgery. I think I just fed solids, and I pushed fluids on myself. No trouble. Here's to fast healing!
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post
C Section mamas nurse premature babies. I looked it up on Hale's, I had knee surgery and mouth surgery. I think I just fed solids, and I pushed fluids on myself. No trouble. Here's to fast healing!

Yes, but the amount of colostrum is small at that point, so not much is getting to baby. With an older baby, drinking several ounces, the effect could be more than ideal.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves

Yes, but the amount of colostrum is small at that point, so not much is getting to baby. With an older baby, drinking several ounces, the effect could be more than ideal.
But the baby is much smaller therefore the ratio of weight to meds is often even safer in an older/larger baby drinking more. General anesthesia is fast acting and leaves the body quickly which is why it is usually deemed safe to bf after surgery regardless of the size baby.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
fullofheart
Registered Users
seller

I had to have surgery to remove my list IUD (it was in my stomach) when DS was 7 months old. He came with DH and I to the hospital, mainly due to no childcare, and I nursed him as he wanted up until they gave me the versed to wheel me into the OR. My surgery took a lot longer than expected as they'd hoped the IUD was only lost OB my uterus and DH gave him one bottle while I was under, but he also didn't take any solids then. I he was taking solids he could have managed with some snacks and a bit of water. I nursed him before we left the hospital once I felt awake enough to hold him on my own, and then nursed him all the rest of the day no problem. Well, minus I was in a lot of pain but that's besides the point! I did my research before the procedure and talked with my dr and the anesthesiologist before the surgery and felt fine nursing him once I was awake. I realize I do pump often due to working so that part was easier, but all this to say you could do it with only one bottle needed or even with none! Do you have any friends you trust who could give you a bottles worth of BM to give her if you can't pump? That's another thought.
fullofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
SarahS12
Registered Users

I had hernia surgery when DS was 3 months and had no restrictions on nursing. He nursed immediately in recovery. I would definitely talk to the anesthesiologist, mine was very supportive and assured me repeatedly I could nurse right after and the drugs wouldn't affect him.

And just to emphasize, it's the anesthesiologist you want to clarify with, not necessarily the surgeon. My surgeon had no idea and said not to nurse for 24 hours to be safe. The anesthesiologist gave me the green light. He's the drug man

Last edited by SarahS12; 08-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Totally agree with the pp. I also had hernia surgery and my surgeon told me the same thing. I think the only thing the anestegiolist didn't give me was the one drug in the beginning that kinda makes you forget the operating room