Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Ellasundies
Registered Users

how to handle color blindness in a 6 year old

DS has an appt with the eye doctor in a few weeks but I'm 99% sure they are going to determine he is color blind. My father is color blind which means any son I have will have a 50% chance of being color blind.

DS just turned 6 and is heading into 1st grade. He is a really smart kid. He only has problems in school as a direct result of his being hard of hearing and learning his colors. He has always had a hard time with colors and I've always suspected it's because he was color blind. My Dad had a really hard time in his early years in school because his color blindness went unnoticed and he was hit for coloring the grass blue and silly things like that. My father is also very intelligent but developed a life long hatred for school as a result. I don't want DS to go through the same thing.

Last school year, despite me telling his teacher of DS's possible color blindness (which she admitted she thought he had) She would punish him for coloring things wrong. Like keeping him in at recess to fix things. Which ticked me off because the poor kid had 6 sheets of homework EVERY NIGHT from her and she would flip over him coloring something the wrong color EVEN if we did our best to fix it and keep him in at recess.

Yesterday ds asked me why blue and purple look the same to him and he also has trouble playing candy land because of the purple and red color boxes. I'm pretty positive he is color blind.

I'm wondering if this is something that should be pushed more. Should he be getting punished for making mistakes with his colors (his old teacher alluded to this but I don't respect her opinion very much and FYI I'm a teacher as well) or did you handle these problems by just waiting for him to grow out of it a little bit. Not the color blindness but if he gets a little older no one will be punishing him for coloring the grass in a picture red rather then green??

Just wondering what other Mom's have done in this situation.

Advertisement

Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: how to handle color blindness in a 6 year old

if you do find out he's color blind, I'd make a big stink if he was punished for it. That is completely unreasonable (and a kindergartener being punished that way makes no sense

A teacher could simply write out the color he should be using (and he match it up to the word on the side of the crayon (this might take a lot more time to learn than just standard color learning.) but it's doubtful if there is blue and green paint sitting in front of him he will ever be able to distinguish the difference.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It definitely sounds like he is color blind so that is crazy for the teacher to punish him for it. Actually even if he wasn't color blind punishing him by taking away recess is not appropriate.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

No idea, but my 7 year old is color blind and I would not allow that. Just flat out NO. You cannot punish a child for a physical condition. One thing that helps is Ds has learned to read the colors on the crayon wrapper. He has trouble telling crayon colors apart, but real life colors (green grass, blue sky, etc) are easier for him to see. So he knows grass is green, and can just read the crayons to find the right color. His eye doctor said he will likely learn to compensate as he gets older.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
His eye doctor said he will likely learn to compensate as he gets older.
I have a friend since I was around 15-now who can distinguish some colors- he said although there's no color he's learned what red looks like compared to what blue looks like for him. But obviously anything in the same hues/shades he still can't.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What, they punish children for coloring 'wrong'? Seriously? Wtf kindergarten! I'd tell The teacher that pink is the color of the grass on the planet she comes from! That is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

teach to read label.....set up colors in a certain order ie closet.....classroom needs to accommodate
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife

I have a friend since I was around 15-now who can distinguish some colors- he said although there's no color he's learned what red looks like compared to what blue looks like for him. But obviously anything in the same hues/shades he still can't.
DH is red-green colour deficient, and he can still see Red and Green, but when they are closer in shade to another colour he has a hard time. For example, he had an olive green shirt when we were dating that he insisted was grey, and I argued that it was green, just a more muted olive-y green. It wasn't until years later that I found out he was red-green deficient.

I'd hate to think that any child is being punished for colouring something "wrong". I could see him losing marks if he failed some sort of colour test, but just colouring a picture shouldn't warrant punishment.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

First.. I am one of those people from the 80s who think you can't color "wrong"... everything is beautiful, bla, bla, bla.... Whatever color you want is great!

Second, my ex is color blind, and I'll admit, it's a pain in the neck sometimes... he would come to my daughter's band concert in absurd outfits. My daughter goes over there periodically to color coordinate his closet for him. He basically ONLY wears blue. He asks sales people "do these colors match?" Sometimes, he has army green, and blue, plaid, but he can't see that, so he has to ask.

Anyway, find a way to label his stuff by color, without making him look like he's three. Crayons and markers SAY their color on the side, but colored pencils usually don't. He needs to learn a system, or trick to help himself out in these situations, or the teacher can sit him next to a nice girl who will help him.

Whatever happen, don't worry about it... he will one day be a 40 yr old man wearing a blue plaid shirt, and olive green shorts. His daughter will be mortified.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I don't mean that she would ever yell at him for coloring grass red for example. I can't remember all the instances but there was once or twice where there were coloring sheets that had 10 little pictures of a clown and the directions were color 5 clowns the same color. DS at times would pick up a blue crayon set it down for a sec and then accidentally pick up a purple crayon. I realize that he didn't follow the directions but to HIM he did follow directions because blue and purple are the same to him.

That is what he was punished for by having to completely redo the work in school during recess or at home for extra homework. When I spoke to his teacher about it she would tell me that he regardless of his handicap he needs to learn to follow directions. She kind of made me feel like I'm making excuses for him.

IMHO I don't really care and would let it go. I realize that as he gets older he will get better at noticing the slight differences in shades of gray to tell what the colors are. But I was curious to see how people handled it in the younger grades where coloring is part of the curriculum.

His teacher was just bad all the way around though. She would spread rumors about DS, her and the SP Ed. (he deals with Sp. Ed due to his hearing issues) teacher would talk about him. She would assign AT LEAST 6 worksheets in homework a night for KINDERGARTEN!! This caused major issues because by the time DS got home, did his homework, ate dinner and had a bath he only had about 1 hour of free time a day. Which was causing him to get over tired and act out. In addition to the color blindness issues she would punish him for problems that were CLEARLY related to his hearing. For example holding him in for recess because he was talking above everyone at lunch. He talks louder then other people in group situations because he can't hear himself be loud. The teacher also knew this. I pulled him out of the school for most of this stuff and am putting him into a much more professional school. Phew thanks for letting me vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post

Whatever happen, don't worry about it... he will one day be a 40 yr old man wearing a blue plaid shirt, and olive green shorts. His daughter will be mortified.
LOL and all will be well with the world

As I mentioned earlier my Dad is colorblind as well. He only ever wore blue or blue and white and his pants were only ever black, khaki, or jeans. Can't go wrong with that lol.

My Dad actually went on to really overcome the issue. It wasn't his main job but he did run a very large stained glass business. He did huge projects. Large commissioned windows, windows for churches and we are going to be starting a 10' diameter stained glass dome soon. True, many of the color choices were from my mother and I but he did quite well.

So I know DS will be fine in the future. I just don't want his elementary years to be as bad as my Dad's were.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote