Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
firsttimejoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
1day old LO ad already I need help!

I need advice ladies! In the hospital we were doing good. LO latched good and nursed great, now that we are home I am not producing anything. LO nursed for almost 30mins and got nothing. I had to give him formula because I tried forever to massage my breast to help and he was screaming of hunger. Now I am attempting to pump to stimulate production but I'm only getting drops. If I keep feeding him formula will he take the breastmilk when it comes in? And what can I do to make sure my milk come in? I wanted to BF exclusively but this is my first and it's becoming harder than I thought it would be!

Advertisement

firsttimejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1day old LO ad already I need help!

How can you tell he isn't getting anything when he nurses? I only ask because pumping (especially at 1 day old) isn't a true measure of supply, for most women. If you were producing in the hospital, it's unlikely that you suddenly stopped producing overnight. You also most likely only have colostrum right now. With colostrum, there isn't going to be over an overabundance because a 1 day old baby's stomach is only the size of a marble.

To encourage your milk to come in, allow baby to nurse frequently, and for as long as he wants. If you feel like you have to supplement, let baby nurse first. If he eats from a bottle more often than he nurses from you, that will tell your body the milk isn't needed.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes it can take a few days for the milk to come in. He should be getting colustrum still at least. http://kellymom.com/ This website has alot of info, hope it helps
=)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
KaseyW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you pump, are the drops white or yellowish? Yellow is colostrum. It can take a while for milk to come in. I would talk to a lactation consaultant or go to a la leche league meeting if you are concerned. My sister recently had a supply issue and her routine was nurse, pump, feed LO the pumped milk, nurse again so the baby gets the breast in the beginning and end. Pumping at night really good too because our bodies naturally decrease supply at night so boosting night supply will increase daytime supply. I didn't have a supply issue but my DS had a latch issue, he's mildly tongue tied. It took us a good month and a half to work it out, and we had a wonderful breastfeeding relationship for 2.5 years. So it can and will get better! Good luck mama, I hope you find a solution you are comfortable with!
KaseyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first my milk did not come in for 5 days! Nurse as much as possible and please do not supplement this early!! Baby may very likely get used to a bottle and not want to nurse, and every time you supplement you cut down on baby to stimulate your own milk production. your baby might want to nurse almost constantly the first few days/weeks, and this is okay.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies tummies are tiny at 1 day old. It is like the size of a marble. They don't need much at all. A little bit of colustrum is fine. Most people don't have milk in when their babies are just 1 day old but it is fine. My oldest wouldn't latch at all and none of the LCs or anyone was panicking about it (except me lol). Their bellies expand to take more in as the days go by and you will get more milk in a few days. You don't need to supplement unless his weight dropped below 10% or if he wasn't peeing at all. He is ok and you are doing great. I remember the worry I felt in the first few days with my first about feeding. It gets better and you feel more confident soon. Just hang in there. You are doing fine.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 08-17-2012 at 12:34 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with what the other mamas say. Stay in bed all day with him and let him nurse as much as he wants. Do skin to skin, that may help milk come in faster. With both of my kids, my milk didn't come in for 5 days!

Do yourself a favor and put the bottles and formula away. Have your DH hide it. It might be rough the first week being attached all the time, but you'll appreciate it in the long run. Supplementing, just a little bit even, can do damage to your supply...it's a slippery slope!

Good luck mama!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Everything the other mamas said It can be so scary with your first one. Your milk will come in sooner if you just sit down with water and nurse, nurse, nurse. If it feels like you are nursing 24 hours per day then you are doing a great job. It will get easier. Every fiber of his being tells him to nurse. Let him and the rest will fall in to place.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
firsttimejoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies. I will do just that. DH is being very supportive and is home till Monday so it sounds like the plan will be to just concentrate on nursing. No more formula. I really want to make this work. I was just scared but you ladies give me strength to keep trying.
firsttimejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just keep putting baby to breast. The more baby sucks now, the more it will stimulate your body to make milk. I am one whose milk does not come in until day 5. There were a couple of hard days before my milk was in, but once it was in everything was fine.